mtbr member
    Feb 2004

chain ring & crankset question

Okay, I've checked out the Q&A but I can't seem to figure out a newbie crank / ring issue. I've got some old 1997 LX cranks that I want to use on an SS convert (vertical dropout frame, gonna use a soulcraft convert). I'm trying to figure out: 1. if I can use these cranks, and 2. What type of chain ring I need to buy. The crank has 4 bolt holes, that's about all I know about it. I don't know what 94mm or 110mm refers to regarding rings.

I'm thinking I wanna try 34/18 setup if I can.

Any advice on the questions above, and who sells a SS specific ring that fits these cranks would be much appreciated.

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenlegs
    Okay, I've checked out the Q&A but I can't seem to figure out a newbie crank / ring issue. I've got some old 1997 LX cranks that I want to use on an SS convert (vertical dropout frame, gonna use a soulcraft convert). I'm trying to figure out: 1. if I can use these cranks, and 2. What type of chain ring I need to buy. The crank has 4 bolt holes, that's about all I know about it. I don't know what 94mm or 110mm refers to regarding rings.

I'm thinking I wanna try 34/18 setup if I can.

Any advice on the questions above, and who sells a SS specific ring that fits these cranks would be much appreciated.
    You'll have to measure what's called the Bolt Circle Diameter, or BCD. On a 4-bolt crank, this is done by simply measuring from the center of one chainring bolt to the center of the one straight across from it. Your LXs are probably 104 for the middle/outer rings and 64 for the granny.

The best deals I've found on non-ramped rings are at www.aebike.com, check out their Salsa rings...the 34t is only $19 or so. You can also get 18t cogs or freewheels on that site.