mtbr member
    Apr 2012

chain pop noise on single speed

I just recently had my Salsa Fargo converted to single speed by my LBS. They installed a 32T shimano 9 speed chainring up front and a Surly 18t 3/32 cog in back. Running a SRAM PC850 8 speed chain. From day one I experienced the occasional "pop!" in my chain only when cruising at top speed with very little torque on the pedals. No chain skipping even at high torque climbing hills..just the pop at low tension and high rpms. I blamed the KMC half link and replaced it with a Gusset Slink. Smoothed things up but still have the occasional "pop!". LBS was clueless. I messed with tension and chainline to no avail. Then it occurred to me maybe the 9 speed 32T chain ring is the issue! It is pinned and ramped and has the smaller teeth here and there to assist in shifting so at low torque and high rpm could it be "rolling" the 8 speed chain forward and popping when it re engages?? or is it trying to "shift" on me? the noise sounds like it's coming from the chain ring. Makes sense to me since at high torque the teeth would be fully engaged so that's why its not skipping on me. I told my theory to the LBS and they ordered a Surly SS ring pronto. Why they didn't in the first place p*sses me off. But am I right to think this is the issue or am I overlooking something? Thanks!

one chain loop
    sometimes it is the freehub slipping "pop" especially when the chain tension is too tight.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I would try a 1/8" chain with the Surly front ring, thats what I run with our cogs. The Surly SS ring is thicker than a ramped shifter ring.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebeard View Post
    I just recently had my Salsa Fargo converted to single speed by my LBS. They installed a 32T shimano 9 speed chainring up front and a Surly 18t 3/32 cog in back. Running a SRAM PC850 8 speed chain. From day one I experienced the occasional "pop!" in my chain only when cruising at top speed with very little torque on the pedals. No chain skipping even at high torque climbing hills..just the pop at low tension and high rpms. I blamed the KMC half link and replaced it with a Gusset Slink. Smoothed things up but still have the occasional "pop!". LBS was clueless. I messed with tension and chainline to no avail. Then it occurred to me maybe the 9 speed 32T chain ring is the issue! It is pinned and ramped and has the smaller teeth here and there to assist in shifting so at low torque and high rpm could it be "rolling" the 8 speed chain forward and popping when it re engages?? or is it trying to "shift" on me? the noise sounds like it's coming from the chain ring. Makes sense to me since at high torque the teeth would be fully engaged so that's why its not skipping on me. I told my theory to the LBS and they ordered a Surly SS ring pronto. Why they didn't in the first place p*sses me off. But am I right to think this is the issue or am I overlooking something? Thanks!
    I am having some similar issues with my set up despite the chainline being accurate to .1mm. I am still tweaking it to see what I can do. I have a 1/8 chain on 1/8 ring with 3/32 sprocket. On close inspection the chain seems to have a wobble in it esp at the joiner, so that with no pressure on the chain the squared edged links sometimes catch on the teeth. With hill climbing it seems OK. I may just go to a 3/32 set up later never had this issue before.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Update: Had my chainring replaced with a Surly Stainless single speed ring and everything became 10x quieter and smoother!

nothing to see here
    Yay for you! Just check the tightness of the chainring bolts occasionally, especially if you get any creaking.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Should I loctite them or is that overkill?

mtbr member
    overkill

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I use plenty of grease on the threads and tighten them good, never had one come loose.