Thread: chain noise

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

chain noise

I just put a Izumi V bushed chain on on my 29er ss. Lots of noise. This is a very high priced 1/8 SS chain, Running on white 3/32 sprockets. seems like an extreamly well made chain. Anyone know if the noise will go away once the chain breaks in? or is just normal for that type of chain?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Not familiar with that particular chain, but if the chain is not well lubed, or if its too tight, it will make some noise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the reply ,, it is very well lubed and well adjusted . The KMC chain I took off ran very quite.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    1/8th chain on 3/32nd teeth is a noisy setup. I don't know, but I can only imagine break in will make it worse.

conjoinicorned
    you put a new chain on used ring and cog, no? the noise will go away soon after the chain becomes one with the drivetrain.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Both cogs have just about 700 miles of previous running but show no wear. The previous reply is what I am hoping , the chain will settle in and become one with them. This chain is made extreamly well with bushings and perhaps has no give in it . That may result in the roughness I feel and hear. I was running a 1/8 KMC which ran very smooth and quiet. I don't like the noise and it worries me that something is not right. I don't know if I should leave it on or not. I feel like it was a waste of money.

The chain was Izumi Track Chain Model V. At this point I would not recommend it to anyone.But hope that does change.

crap magnet
    Why switch from the KMC? Weight maybe? I've run nothing but KMCs (610hx) and like their chains. Inexpensive, strong, but a bit heavy.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am not sure which exact KMC chain I was running. It did show lots of strectch and seemed to be continuing/ The gold plating wore quickly and it looked worse than just a plain steel chain. The Izumi V chain is actually heavier than the KMC. It is very heavy duty! I have never seen a chain as beefy as this. I can not notice any performance issues about the little extra weight, in fact it seems to be faster but that may be my imagination. I was looking for a chain that would never break and can take 30 miles a day of the most extream trail conditions. That's why I ride a single , a geared bike takes to much maintaining for me.

I put another 30 miles on the Izumi again today and it does seem to be getting just a liitle smoother. It may just take more miles to break in. I do hope it woks out and I don't want to slam what might be a good product without giving it a fair chance... I'll post back how this works out for other folks to reference. I have not been able to find any reviews online about this chain so if anyone has used one please let us all know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    After about 150 miles the chain is now smooth and quite. The clicking noise has gone away. Any remaining noise I attribute to running 1/8 on 3/32 chainring. The only negative thing to say about this chain is it is quite heavy. Hard to say for sure but It feels a little faster in spite of the extra weight. It is very high quality chain.

mtbr member
    SS Chain...

CLEAN and lubed...

I've found that whenever I have to re-lube a chain (long ride, etc) I get some noise until it all gets "pushed out"

I'm sure you are very thorough, but make sure your chain is clean too