mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Chain Length Question (noobie)

Does anyone know of a clever technique to determine if my chain will have the proper tension *before* cutting it? Here's the specs on my bike:

Chain stay length: 413mm
    Front chain ring: 34 tooth
    Rear cog: 20 tooth

I poked around the sheldon brown site but I didn't see anything (perhaps I missed it).

I just hate cutting a good chain to then find out I cut it to the wrong length. I'd like to know that I have the proper length prior to cutting.

Thanks,

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Um, that link is for a geared bike, single speed is quite different. Or is it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Wrap it around with the tensioner off (if you're using one) and get it in the ballpark, then just pop off one link at a time. Even if you get it right the first time you're not going to have enough left over to do anything else with it besides make a bracelet or something.
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

Dive Bomber
    You can always measure with the chain or rope tighten to the cog and chainring.

one chain loop
    wow, 413mm chainstay length, this is not a mountain bike isn't it? btw, if the calculation is right, you are pretty close to magic ratio with 46 chain links.

fixmeup!
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Um, just put the chain on the bike, and then take the links out. Guaranteed to work every time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Fix Me Up! Did the trick.

Thanks everybody