Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chain/Cog/Half-Link question

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  VernDog 
#1 ·
I just installed a new SRAM PC99 chain with the Spicer Half-Link and I have 2 problems.

1) The chain and cog aren't engaging correctly.

2) The chain tension is about the same as it was without the half-link.

The cog is also new, the only used part is the chainring and there's no problem in that area.

Any ideas?

I already emailed Gene @ Spicer Cycles for his opinion.

See less See more
#2 ·
some questions

I don't see the half-link in the pictures (am I wrong?) , so it doesn't look like it's causing the engagement problems... some questions come to mind...

Does the problem occur at the same tooth on the cog? Does it occur at the same link in the chain? Can you push the chain down over the cog or does it not physically fit?

I rode a half-link a while back (different manufacturer) and didn't have these problems.

Kevin

#4 ·
DiRt DeViL said:
The half-link doesn't seem to be the problem.

I can push the chain down with minimal force but haven't tried to see if it's the tooth or link.
Is it a 9 speed chain, and a bmx type cog?? if so it (the chain) may be just a tad to narrow for the cog. You may want to try a 7/8sp chain, and see if that helps.

#6 ·
yes...

DiRt DeViL said:
Could the chain be the issue?
I think so. I would try an 8 speed chain if you have one. Or go buy a cheap bmx chain (1/8 inch) for $8 and give that a shot.

[edit]
should mention that your chain width should probably match the width of the half link. So if it's a 1/8 half link, use a 1/8 chain. If it's a 3/32 half link go for an 7/8 speed chain. At least I think that's how it works.....
[/edit]

Kevin

#7 ·
_K9_ said:
I think so. I would try an 8 speed chain if you have one. Or go buy a cheap bmx chain (1/8 inch) for $8 and give that a shot.

[edit]
should mention that your chain width should probably match the width of the half link. So if it's a 1/8 half link, use a 1/8 chain. If it's a 3/32 half link go for an 7/8 speed chain. At least I think that's how it works.....
[/edit]

Kevin
yup, you got it right. I would not be shocked at all at that except I don't think he'd be able to connect a 3/32" cahin with a 1/8" half link so the link is not the issue for sure. I have to believe that the cog and the chain are different widths, most likely a 9 spd (or 8 spd) chain and a bmx 1/8" cog. that would do it. the only other thing that wasn't mentioned was if there were chainline adjustments made when things were changed out. that could also be the culprit.

#10 ·
"chain line"?

Is the chain line bang on? Also, using either a new chain / worn cogs or worn chain / new cogs/ring could be the fault. A new chain will not sit down into the cogs toth profile as the old chain/cog wear together. Maybe, a couple of the cogs teeth are "bent or twisted" (hooked) causing the chain jump issue..

"UP the IRONS"!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.