mtbr member
    Jul 2013

chain advice needed.

Im nearly finished my conversion but just need some advice for the chain. Can I use my 7 speed shimano chain and just shorten it (its done less then 300 miles) or just get a bmx type chain.

local trails rider
    Just about any chain will do, as long as it is not too narrow for your chainring and cog.

I stay away from the cheapest chains because the cheap chains that I've tried have "stretched" quickly. Also, the best thing about half-link-chains seems to be that they look cool.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I was looking at the half links but guessing there not very good then?

mtbr member
    Half links have their uses, used in a normal chain the way they were intended. I think what perttime was getting at is whole chains made of half links aren't really worth it/very good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Oh ok so I will stay away from them then.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Getting a SS tomorrow. I was also curious about chains.

Here is an older but very informative article.

The One Speed Biker: The Single Speed Chain FAQ

FWIW: I have been told the KMC Z610 is excellent.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Half links have their uses, used in a normal chain the way they were intended. I think what perttime was getting at is whole chains made of half links aren't really worth it/very good.
    Correct.
    I've used a half link to get my chain length right. No issues, after I got my chain joining technique right...
    Everything I've heard about whole chains made out of half links tells me that all the bent plates create a chain that stretches easily.

My chainrings are 9-speed width, so I've just bought whatever high quality 9-speed chain I can get at reasonable cost.
    Chains are consumables. Sooner or later they need replacing anyway.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    FWIW: I have been told the KMC Z610 is excellent.
    You have been told correct. Z610HX is a tough, reliable and long-lasting chain. The only thing one could pick on is the weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Arek View Post
    You have been told correct. Z610HX is a tough, reliable and long-lasting chain. The only thing one could pick on is the weight.
    Arek:

Until I lose 50 pounds off the engine I will not concern myself with a few extra ounces of chain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Been happy with my SRAM 8 or 9 speed chains as well. whichever is cheaper when I'm replacing.

mtbr member
    KMC 610 or 8.93/99. Both have worked well for me. Both can be had ~$12-14. My last 610 spun around for 1200mi and still had a touch of life left. I didn't have any issues with SRAM 971 either. It did seem to wear a bit faster though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    After what we spend on our bikes and accessories I just never understood trying to save $5-$6 on a chain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    After what we spend on our bikes and accessories I just never understood trying to save $5-$6 on a chain.
    Not everyone pays $2k or more on their bike. Some ppl are enjoying the trails on a $300 bike. So, why pay an extra $5-6 when its not any better? There is no way you will get me to believe that a $20 chain is better than my $12 Z610 for wear and strength. It might save a few grams, but, it'll make my wallet lighter, too. With zero performance benefit to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I use Sram 10sp chains.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    Not everyone pays $2k or more on their bike. Some ppl are enjoying the trails on a $300 bike. So, why pay an extra $5-6 when its not any better? There is no way you will get me to believe that a $20 chain is better than my $12 Z610 for wear and strength. It might save a few grams, but, it'll make my wallet lighter, too. With zero performance benefit to me.
    Fair enough. My Unit comes with the KMC 610.
    I was speaking more to the people I see with all kinds of bling but won't spring for a "decent" chain.

I do agree that paying $75-100 dollars for say a Wippermann Connex or KMC X10 is obscene. On the other hand if you have the money and it makes you happy, go for it.

The perfessor
    got that right.......I found my SS 29er bike for $50 on trade (with an old rigid geared bike) but I have upgraded brakes, handlebar, and chain.......good chains last forever on SSs......
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Cheers guys for your help/advice.