Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

CF fork for SS...

I have the SS Salsa EM and am very happy with it. Did upgrade the brakes to XT and swapped to Renthal chainring and Surly cogs. Now considering a CF fork as an upgrade. I have searched and found comments mostly on the Niner fork but not so much on the Whiskey or others...

Can folks share their experiences with the various CF forks on a SS please?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My opinion--unless you're building up a race rig, don't spend that much $$ on a CF fork. It does lighten up the front end and some forks have tiny bit better dampening than the stock EM fork, but bang for buck is very low. Get a better wheelset instead.

If you want more cush up front, get Knards. I just got Knarded up front and the thing's on hit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've been using a Niner CF for 18 months and could be happier. Not flexy, very well made and its very point and shoot. The others I investigated leading up purchasing didn't seem as good. Just MHO, YMMV.

mtbr member
    The niner forks are pretty money, but you'd definitely get more bang for your buck with a nice tubeless wheelset. I do think the dampening of the carbon forks is a *lot* better but I've only compared it to the last 2 generations of karate monkey fork.

At the end of the day I decided to go with a custom steel fork (for $100 less than the niner ) but I did pick up one of these for a song that has been pretty nice On-One Carbon Fork
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    ^^^
    I've been running tubeless so long I forget what it was like to run tubes. That being said, while the Niner forks are just a bit more that other CF forks, they are well worth the cost. I'm all about you get what you pay for. I'm so happy with my Niner fork someone will have to go a long ways to get me to switch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I recently mounted a 2.35 Hans Dampf to my steel fork and it rocks. Running 20psi with no issues. Love this tire and really smooths out the trail. Having ridden both and steel fork I prefer steel. Just a personal preference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

CF fork for SS...

Have had both niner steel and carbon.

Much prefer the carbon fork. Well worth the money.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Appreciate the comments....sorry I posted before work and did not get back till now...forgot to mention currently running the stock wheels tubeless with Racing Ralph 2.4 BUT I my LBS is building Chris King/Stan Flow wheels for me as I type.

I appreciate all the Niner feedback anyone run the Whiskey? I expect I will upgrade the EM before too long although I love it every day.

mtbr member

CF fork for SS...

Another one been real happy with my niner carbon fork.

Definitely running rigid up front is where it's at if you're standing and climbing.

SPP
    Rigid.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    I'm in same boat. Don't know what i want. I have an On One CF fork on my 29er. It is so flexy. I feel it and can see it. I don't like it at ALL. Hoping to pick up a Niner CF.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

CF fork for SS...

Happy with my Whisky. Nicer looking too. Available in Thru axle with 44 offset. I have a 9mm version and regularly switch between TA squish fork. Chris King hubs makes this easy with simple axle swap.
    Selma Ti.

White and nerdy
    May 2012
    There is a reason all other forks are compared to the niner. Get the niner fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by henrymiller1 View Post
    I'm in same boat. Don't know what i want. I have an On One CF fork on my 29er. It is so flexy. I feel it and can see it. I don't like it at ALL. Hoping to pick up a Niner CF.
    Are you running the "race model" (or whatever on-one call their monocoque fork). I ask because I find the niner fork slightly flexier than the segmented on-one fork I linked above. The cool thing about the niner fork is that even under heavy breaking, it flexes to a certain point and then *really* stiffens up. The on-one fork does this as well but it tends to waver around that point a tiny bit - this may be because I run a 185 front rotor and my brother runs a 160 with his niner (both with bb7's), but I suspect it is because of the way the carbon is laid up on the niner fork. It really is an engineering marvel.

If you're looking to save weight the niner fork will definitely do that, but if you are looking for something that is a whole lot stiffer you might be better off looking elsewhere. I've only ridden the ones with the 1 1/8" steerer - imagine the niner fork with the tapered steerer / thru-axle (the RDO I think) does make for a significantly stiffer ride, so if you have a tapered headtube that would probably be worth a shot if you've got some money burning a hole in your pocket.

For reference I'm about 225 lbs geared up.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I run a chisel on my ss stumpy, absolutely love it paired with a 2.3 ground control. much more comfortable compared to steel I've ridden. Although I got it as a new bike take-off so the $$ was no where near as salty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    is it better to have QR up front than Thru axle for moe flex if running rigid? I just love TA on fs bike but can see on rigid SS QR may be better?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Get the Niner. Rode both the 1 1/8" version and the tapered for multiple seasons. Forks are wicked.
    MCH Co-Captain

The Niner forks are nice, but unless I become a spandex flaunting weight weenie, I'm sticking with steel. If I ever wanted more compliance from a fork, Walt would get a call from me.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was talking to one of the niner guys about my new rdo fork. They said that it was designed to have similar flex front to back as the QR version just stiffer laterally.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Niner here, picked mine up for $200 when Jensen was blowing them out. Where else can you spend $200 and save 2lbs over the stock Redline steel fork? And 3lbs over my Reba? That's what, $6.25/oz? That's pretty far from weight weenie territory if you ask me.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Thanks for info. I want something light. The On One i have vibrates under heavy braking, 160mm 175lbs rider. Its not the Mono version. Are you suggesting the Niner may do the same thing? I have a vassago steel coming ( while i wait). thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've been running a bontrager switchblade carbon fork. Love it. No vibrating and extremely light. I weight 210lbs and I ride hard. No issues at all.

I picked mine up on ebay for $125

nothing to see here

CF fork for SS...

The niner doesn't vibrate at all
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Personally, I have seen CF failures over the years and I just don't want to subject myself to thew danger. So I swore long ago nothing on my bikes will ever be CF! To each their own though...

As for now, I can't say enough about a steel Niner or Salsa fork with a Knard 1/2 fat frontend. It couldn't be better for me but again, to each their own...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What rim are you running the Knard on? Tubless?

mtbr member
    Right now, Knard is on a P35 rim with a tube and no trouble. Will go tubeless for that wheel soon. Absolutely love it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast