mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Cdale 1FG or GF Rig ?

I have a real dilemma. I have decided to go SS for a fitness training bike as I mostly ride DH. I don't want to spend too much as most of my money is going toward a new DH bike, races, lift passes etc. I think that 29" might be for me (6'5" 230lbs). The problem is that my boy works at a shop that carries Cdale, and Kona so I have been looking at the 1FG and the Unit. I don't think the size or geometry of the Unit will work for me. I have pretty much decided on the 1FG. but I am really intrigued by 29" and would like to give it a try. A GF Rig wouldn't be nearly as good of a deal and I would be buying it from a competing shop, so I would have the whole traitor guilt aspect to deal with. I figured I would get a more objective opinion here than on the 29" board. What to do? My inclination right now is to go with the 1FG and if I get hooked on the SS bit then maybe go 29" SS in the future. Thanks in advance for any opinions or info.

pepito
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhippie
    I have a real dilemma. I have decided to go SS for a fitness training bike as I mostly ride DH. I don't want to spend too much as most of my money is going toward a new DH bike, races, lift passes etc. I think that 29" might be for me (6'5" 230lbs). The problem is that my boy works at a shop that carries Cdale, and Kona so I have been looking at the 1FG and the Unit. I don't think the size or geometry of the Unit will work for me. I have pretty much decided on the 1FG. but I am really intrigued by 29" and would like to give it a try. A GF Rig wouldn't be nearly as good of a deal and I would be buying it from a competing shop, so I would have the whole traitor guilt aspect to deal with. I figured I would get a more objective opinion here than on the 29" board. What to do? My inclination right now is to go with the 1FG and if I get hooked on the SS bit then maybe go 29" SS in the future. Thanks in advance for any opinions or info.
    the rig would be sweet, but good luck getting your hands on one anytime in the near future. the 1fg is a sweet little bike, but it's just that: a little bike. at your size, i'd give 29" a stronger consideration. your buddy's shop will undoubtely carry all QBP products, so he would be able to order you a surly km frame/fork, and maybe he could work with you on the components (scour the lbs stockpile of NOS/bargain bin/etc.). it may wind up being just a bit more than the 1fg, but i think the trade-offs would be worth it.

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

LA CHVRE
    I haven't tried the 1FG, but I love Cannondale's geometries and forks, it would be my pick if I was going to get a singlespeed. I may be biased tough as I have one Cannondale hardtail and a FS very soon. A few points to consider to help make a decision: I don't like Genesis geometry, it puts the weight too far back for my taste and makes steep climbs harder and fast corner trickier (not enough weight on the front end unless I unaturally position myself), but it's very personnal and it seems to fit tall people very well. And some people hate Cannondale forks but me, I'm hooked on them.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Recovering couch patato
    I've been the LBS, though in Europe. LBS's have their networks, and sometimes help each other out. Tell your buddies that you're a no-comprimize man, and ask them to fix you up with a Rig through some befriended dealer, as otherwise you'd feel funny about it. Being honest might just do the trick.
    There's at this point no substitute for the Rig, in terms of value and ride. The KM is an absolute launching platform, and would laugh you in the face for what your DH ass can throw at it, and is plain fun, but just that little bit harder to get under a grand.

[OT]
    BTW, a Ritchey 29x2.4" tire is about to happen, as are longer travel bikes to fit it. I'll bet half the rest of my life expectancy that 700c is just plain faster than 26", once at the same quality level, ESPECIALLY downhill. There's more reviews that point that way than can be ignored. Riders having gone from 26x4" trailbikes to 29" hardtails, and fiercefully pedaling down descends they before carefully rolled down.
    If smaller were faster, we'd all be riding 24" wheels. Those are ligter and stornger right, isn't that what we all want? Apparantly, weight added due to increased wheelsize is worth it, and I bet that counts more for bikes challenging gravity than those fighting it.
    [/OT]
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member

Another KM vote...

If you are going to stick with those two choices, I would pick the 1FG. I had two prior Headshock C-Dales and loved the handling. My buddy Dan (SS4life) loves his, and he is so much faster on it than his previous geared hardtail...
    I've had a lot of bikes over 18 yrs. and my Surly 1x1 is my favorate ! I've been riding it since spring and ended up selling my Heckler because I never rode it any more...
    I'm 6"3" and have just aquired a custom ebb SS 29" from Vulture. What I'm getting at is I found a quick progression in what is important to me after riding for years. SS'ing changed my whole way of riding and I think 29" is going to get me where I want to be.
    The only change I would have made was getting a Karate Monkey from the start, the perfect compromise of cost, fun and versitility. Be a punk and get one...
    Jefe'
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED

I sold my KM and bought a 1FG.....

The KM was a nice ride, really, but I wanted a sus fork and for the $500.
    I was going to have to shell out for it I just decided to sell it and go w/the
    1FG.

I'm only 6' 180# though, not quite your size. The KM did handle nice and
    if the 1FG came in big boy size I'd buy one. So for me I really wanted a
    C-Dale fork (cause I've had a C-Dale since 98 w/NO problems) more than
    a 29er.

It's my third C-Dale hardtail. The fork is much, much more well built than
    ANY other fork by far BUT is not as adjustable. I did alot of changes to the
    1FG to get it to ride like I wanted it to. The tires IMO are plain useless but
    for your size may be okay. The 1FG started out at about 25# w/pedals and
    I swapped out some parts I had and got it down to just under 22# and it
    rides great now. Before lighting it up I rode it once and it was no fun to
    me, to much work, but now I give my gearie buds a good run. With a sus
    fork and a lightened up SS I go up and down just as fast as my buds now
    and that makes me happy.

I know nothing about the rig as I have never been a GF fan.

Good luck on your choice - V V V .
    "As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can."
    -- Julius Caesar

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

C-Dale Frame Sizes

I am 6'2" and a Size XL Cannondale frame was barely big enough for me so you may have trouble fitting their frame to your 6"5" height unless they've changed their geometry since 1999.

I do love the 1FG though and if I could have one I'd put a Lefty fork on there and be happy as a clam.

Russ

Derailleurs owned: 0
    Cannondale: Please make a 29er 1fg(rigid)!

Quote Originally Posted by Vȑ*V͐*V̇*?
    The KM was a nice ride, really, but I wanted a sus fork and for the $500.
    I was going to have to shell out for it I just decided to sell it and go w/the
    1FG.

I'm only 6' 180# though, not quite your size. The KM did handle nice and
    if the 1FG came in big boy size I'd buy one. So for me I really wanted a
    C-Dale fork (cause I've had a C-Dale since 98 w/NO problems) more than
    a 29er.

It's my third C-Dale hardtail. The fork is much, much more well built than
    ANY other fork by far BUT is not as adjustable. I did alot of changes to the
    1FG to get it to ride like I wanted it to. The tires IMO are plain useless but
    for your size may be okay. The 1FG started out at about 25# w/pedals and
    I swapped out some parts I had and got it down to just under 22# and it
    rides great now. Before lighting it up I rode it once and it was no fun to
    me, to much work, but now I give my gearie buds a good run. With a sus
    fork and a lightened up SS I go up and down just as fast as my buds now
    and that makes me happy.

I know nothing about the rig as I have never been a GF fan.

Good luck on your choice - Vȑ*V͐*V̇*?.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1pivot
    unless they've changed their geometry since 1999
    I believe they have, there XL now has a 25" ETT, whereas it used to have 24.3 I think.

I'm a big 29" proponent, but I guess the best thing for you to do would be try it out yourself - over at the 29"er board there is a thread with a whole bunch of folk willing to lend out their 29"er for test rides many of them SS, and if you don't find one on there I'm sure if you start a new thread with a request you'll find one.

Sam