mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Which category to move up to SS or 40-49

Moving up.. about 8-10 guys at the most in sport SS category as compared to about 40-50 in the 40-49 sport class. My question do you think it's better to race with the gearies in the sport.

I would like to support the singlespeed class since the promoter has one but it seems kinda cool to race more guys in the sport 40-49, the SS sport is all ages but there is some fast guys in both the classes. maybe they really don't need a special singlespeed class you know run with what you brung kind of a thing. Do most of you guys enter the SS category or have more fun racing with the gearies? is it better to beat 30 guys or 2-3.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I think you'll find you'll finish in the same percentile in either class. For example if you usually finish in the top fifth in the SS class, you'll finish in the top fifth in the sport class.
    I'd rather start with the smaller group myself, but after the first half a lap or so it's all the same; all the age classes will be on the course.

mtbr member
    I've found the SS class to be infinitly more competive than most sport races I've entered. SS is tough, here (the south east) it's generally just a big old open class open gender, age, and abillity level. I race against experts, sport guys, semi-pros, and yes even the very tough women SSers...

If you want to get the podium race sport, if you're in it for the experience, race SS...

I race SS specifically because I'm not fast enough to race expert with a SS. I've raced sport for two years (with gears) and I thought it was time to move up. This season I'm SSing exclusively - I was 3 minutes faster than the fastest sport rider on the first XC race of the season, but I got passed by some sport guys last time - my excuse is that I was sick, but that's just an excuse since I was on the line like everyone else. I think I'm faster than all but maybe the top 3 sport guys, but I'd be hard pressed to finish top ten in expert I think. I know that I'm ready for a geared hardtail again... SSing is great but I need the whole enchillada I guess..

One last point is that I've seen guys race the expert class on a SS and win it... 1st and 2nd place were both on singles. A lot of it has to do with the rider and the course as well... it's doubtful they could have done that if the course was at all flat...
    My one says BRAP!

meh... whatever
    ss class is generally a much faster and much more competitive class with many of us turning faster lap times than expert/pro. generally if you move from geared sport to ss you will finish much lower than you normally do.

plume nailed it...

If you want to get the podium race sport, if you're in it for the experience, race SS...

or if you REALLY want to have some fun race your ss in geared sport! really pisses them off when you podium...
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the info guys great insight what i was looking for. I will have to work on my starts damn it's tough on those flat starts i spin out, and every body big rings by me and i spend the first lap passing people to get to the front.

It seems when i get clear to the front it gets easier and my speed increases. Starting today im going to practice some drag race starts.

Sweep the leg!
    I crunched the numbers last season when it came to the average age of the Sport SS's. 32yrs old was what I came up with, a full decade younger than me. But when I spent most of the series in the top 5 it validated my decision to race SS. Yeah, I loved the ego boost the standings gave me, but what I realized was that the SS's were of a compatible mindset. You could argue MTBers are all of a similar mind, but SS's are unique, and I enjoyed that more than finishing on any podium. I doubt I'll enjoy racing a multispeed again.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That's what i was kind of thinking about the singlespeed guys having a similar mind set, and yeah these guys probably average about 10 years younger than me as well.

it was kind of fun to look at there faces even in the beginner class when they noticed i had a singlespeed and no shock, i've only raced 5 times with good results im just trying to see what most people do, if i should race my age group and ability.

Members who have read this thread: 0