Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Cascade Cream Puff Early Entry Now Open

Entry form for 2003 entrants is now available only on-line at http://www.puff100.com/race/entry.html

Entries received by Feb 16 are guarantied a place in the 2004 event.

General registration opens Feb 16. The general entry form will be available online then.

Available general entry spots will be filled on a first come-first served basis - not earliest postmark. Field limit is 110 riders. Registration closes 31 May 2004 or until roster is filled, which every comes first. There will be a waiting list. No day of race entry.

Former overall winners are guarantied entry and may register at any time before 31 May 2004.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

I am considering this race...

.. any one care to comment on it. How difficult, etc.?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Be There!

Hey Don, its on my calendar and I don't see any conflicts so I plan on being there to help out. After being razzed by sparty at Rosalina's I'm certainly considering racing in 2005. I just wonder if my attention span is that long...

bike ON
    bob

ps, the CCP100 page still has 2003 in the title bar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloWithOthers
    .. any one care to comment on it. How difficult, etc.?
    How difficult?.. Uh.. VERY! it's 100+ miles and over 18000' of climbing.

mtbr member

So hoow would you compare this to Leadville...

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    How difficult?.. Uh.. VERY! it's 100+ miles and over 18000' of climbing.
    ... or the Ouachita Challenge? Have you done this one? Who would you say can be successful on this ride?

KgB
    SNGLSPD

anybody from western CO.

going/want to go share expenses,misery?

mtbr member
    ... or the Ouachita Challenge? Have you done this one? Who would you say can be successful on this ride?
    I have done the creampuff (14:05 in 2002, DNF 2003)

I haven't done any other 100 mile races (well, I did over 100 at the 24hrs of old Pueblo but that doesn't count) so I can't compare but I have heard repeatedly that Shiggy isn't exagerating by billing it as the toughest 100miler in the US.

The results from last year are on the web, compare the winning times to other events of similar length and you'll get an idea.

The creampuff has a cutoff of 15 hours (daylight) for an average minimum speed of 6.9mph to finish. The winners are usually in at around 9:15-9:45 (nobody has beaten 9 hours yet). For comparison Leadville 100 winners are in the 7 hour neighborhood with a 13hr cutoff (there were 71 sub-9hr finishers at leadville)

It's hard to tell if the OC results are for a race or a "timed tour" but if it was a race and the winning time was 14:03 for 63 miles that's only 4.5mph average which would indicate incredibly rugged terrain to generate a winning race pace in that range assuming it attracted the same kind of talent that the Creampuff and Leadville do.

paintbucket
    It's hard to tell if the OC results are for a race or a "timed tour" but if it was a race and the winning time was 14:03 for 63 miles that's only 4.5mph average which would indicate incredibly rugged terrain to generate a winning race pace in that range assuming it attracted the same kind of talent that the Creampuff and Leadville do.
    That 14:03 has got to be a typo. I think 4:03 is right. Geez, I hope so....
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member

O'Challenge times...

I have done the creampuff (14:05 in 2002, DNF 2003)

The creampuff has a cutoff of 15 hours (daylight) for an average minimum speed of 6.9mph to finish. The winners are usually in at around 9:15-9:45 (nobody has beaten 9 hours yet). For comparison Leadville 100 winners are in the 7 hour neighborhood with a 13hr cutoff (there were 71 sub-9hr finishers at leadville)

Those times for the O'challenge are times on the clock (CDT). The race/tour started at 8:00. I am listed at 17:40 so 9 hrs 40 min. over 63 miles. or about 6.7 mph average. The winner at 14:03 is about 6hrs or 10.5 mph. Very few were "racing" and I was surprised to finish as at that time my longest previous ride was 25 miles at Tsali.

I may be in over my head. But, then again, I was last year in Arkansas.

mtbr member
    Those times for the O'challenge are times on the clock (CDT). The race/tour started at 8:00. I am listed at 17:40 so 9 hrs 40 min. over 63 miles. or about 6.7 mph average. The winner at 14:03 is about 6hrs or 10.5 mph. Very few were "racing" and I was surprised to finish as at that time my longest previous ride was 25 miles at Tsali.

I may be in over my head. But, then again, I was last year in Arkansas.
    That sounds more like a real race then.. I was thinking 4.5mph they must have been stopping a lot or that was one killer course.

If you take that pace and assume they could hold it for another 37 miles (unlikely) that'd put them at about 10hours for a comparable distance. A longer race would cause a drop in average speed though.. but the pace was similar to the creampuff for those 63 miles..

I'd guess that your 9:40 at OC would translate to around 14-15 hours at the creampuff.

(again I am assuming similar talent at the top end, and your ability to keep going past 10 hours.)

Vegan Athlete
    I rode the course last year with a buddy. We started from Oakridge, didn't know the course very well, it was very smokey and we had been riding the whole previous week. That said, we did one lap, on geared bikes, (the race is 3) in 6 hours. At the end of the ride, we were dead. I race sport class, and was in pretty decent shape last year. We have discussed it since. We can possible see doing two laps of it, but all three!? People who finish that race are not human.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoovegan
    I rode the course last year with a buddy. We started from Oakridge, didn't know the course very well, it was very smokey and we had been riding the whole previous week. That said, we did one lap, on geared bikes, (the race is 3) in 6 hours. At the end of the ride, we were dead. I race sport class, and was in pretty decent shape last year. We have discussed it since. We can possible see doing two laps of it, but all three!? People who finish that race are not human.
    Did you start from Oakridge or Westfir? If you started from Oakridge you added a few miles of pavement before getting to where thc course actually starts.

I've taken some folks on the course before who knew all about the creampuff but they didn't know the course.. every one of them came to basically the same conclusion you did.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Check's in the mail

See ya in about five months Shiggy!

Vegan Athlete
    We started in Oakridge. We were staying with some friends who own the Trailhead Cafe. Great place, btw! I'm a tofu eater and i'm sure they are the only place in town that knows what it is. Yea, we added, what 5 miles of pavement? That is nothing compared to what we did the rest of that day. It was a fun ride, but ****! it was long. We were in Oregon for about 10 days and did some terriffic riding. Made it up to Portland and rode around there (my old stomping ground). Did a SS ride in Oakridge and one in Ashland.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.