mtbr member

a carbon rigid fork instead of my steel?

I'm contemplating of getting a carbon rigid fork on my sass instead of its steel one. My fork has a 38mm offset for 26" tires. I run 27.5" tires now and I'm thinking the 45mm offset of the trigon fork im looking at will make it a little quicker to turn with my bigger tires. But, I'm like 260lbs, would hate to have a fork failure. Anyone have any opinions on this setup?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Don't think at that weight you won't fold that steel fork. Buddy of mine is 250+ and has snapped two surly cromo rigid forks. If you're smooth you'd probably be ok but if not buy something beefy. Scary **** seeing someone snap a fork at speed! I'm 200lbs and ride a Niner rdo fork and love it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I don't understand why people think carbon is some how weaker than steel by default or remarkably fragile somehow. If you don't buy some crazy lightly built weight weenie carbon fork you'll be fine.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

Awesome
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamrockandroll13 View Post
    I don't understand why people think carbon is some how weaker than steel by default or remarkably fragile somehow. If you don't buy some crazy lightly built weight weenie carbon fork you'll be fine.
    For me the cost benefit ratio just isn't there for carbon. Take the niner line for example, the niner carbon vs the niner steel… id go steel every time, the one pound drop in weight is not worth my $230-370.

I would say go with the steel as the fail mode for a steel fork is a LITTLE more forgiving then carbon, in theory.

Teen Wolf
    ive been running a wb rock solid (445mm) on my lewis for many, many years. can fit a 29er wheel in there if i want. great setup, but i weigh 120 pounds less than you. i'd hesitate to go carbon on the front end if i was > 200 lbs, but that's just me.

mtbr member
    Ok, I've decided to go with decent inexpensive steel fork like a salsa or a singular. I think im too fat for a carbon fork at the moment. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Aside from the weight of the fork, is there a big difference in the feel/ride, between carbon and steel forks?

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by t3mplar View Post
    Aside from the weight of the fork, is there a big difference in the feel/ride, between carbon and steel forks?
    Most definitely. Carbon forks tend to feel much stiffer/harsh/twitchy. Some like it- not me... if you do, don't be a hater

Even among steel forks some have significantly more flex than others. I have Niner, Salsa and WaltWorks steel forks. Among those, the WW flexes the least. I've tried a Niner carbon fork and still prefer the slightly heavier cushy/flexy feel of a steel fork up front.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

A plethora of pinatas
    I have been running a Niner carbon fork out here in AZ for about 4 years now and love it! I have put it through some very rough stuff and it keeps coming back. I weigh 220 and it is plenty strong. I highly recommend it and I have heard some great things about the Whiskey carbon forks as well.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    One thing about carbon forks is brake stutter. When I brake hard with the carbon fork the front wheel stutters more than a steel fork. This can effect steering and ride quality. But otherwise, carbon is fine for most riding (except huge drops, jumps or total abuse).

A big advantage is weight. Carbon will be quite a bit lighter and make the bike feel nimble. I tend to climb better with carbon too.

It's just personal preference...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    One thing about carbon forks is brake stutter.
    Brake stutter is really a function of the design of the fork more then the material. I have a steel fork that was built pretty light (no, i did not build the fork). The steel fork has all kinds of brake stutter and as a result I really don't like riding it. I also got some brake stutter from various suspension forks (reba and magura).

This year I spent a lot of time on a Whisky carbon rigid fork and recently converted to an ENVE carbon fork. What I can say is that these carbon forks have about zero brake stutter. The Whisky fork is unreal stiff but I get some play from the axle (it is the 15mm TA version). The ENVE fork also has zero brake stutter although it feels a little less stiff vs. the Whisky. The EVNE fork also has the 51mm offset chip and I think that is part of what I like better about it.

Forks are like anything else. Design and fabrication will be a bigger factor in terms of feel and performance vs. the raw material. Steel forks can be built that are really nice with proper stiffness, good durability, and reasonable weight. The same is true of carbon forks. It is also possible to build forks that have problems out of any material. When designed for equal stiffness and durability a good carbon fork will be a bit lighter vs. a steel fork.

Based on the forks that I have tried, my favorite is the ENVE carbon followed by the Whisky as a close second. The Whiskey and ENVE forks are similar designs. I only have two rides on the ENVE but so far I feel like it is a slightly less harsh ride and I like the axle system better.
    Last edited by febikes; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:24 AM.
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

mtbr member
    The Niner RDO forks are a cut above the rest... they've been making them for years and they're bomb proof!

A nice carbon fork will crap all over a steel fork any day. The old carbon tube ones were horrible.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I actually feel my niner fork--9mm QR--dampens better over stuttery terrain, but feel my mold steel fork takes the bigger hits better. Love how nimble that fork makes my bike.

mtbr member
    Singular has a 55mm offset fork with 445mm a-c available but I think that would be way to much offset for my bike. So, I think the salsa cromoto 26 disc is what I'm gonna go with it has a 41mm offset and a 425a-c. I think it should match up well.

mtbr member
    Well, I got my singular fork from Sam, he's was easy to work with. I believe its the gryphon fork. It matches great with my sass with 650b's. The added rake (55mm) matches up nicely with the bigger tires. The ride is very nice and better handling. I think the trail should be around 63mm now.
    Last edited by earworm; 1 Week Ago at 03:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    niner carbon forks loving it and prefer it above steel, not the weight but the comfort and ride quality,looks are nice too