mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Capable New Bike?

Read some of the other post about becoming a Badass singlespeeder.

I already have a beard, so I am halfway there, right?

Just got back into biking a few months ago. Bought a GT Karakoram, large size. I am 6'4" 250 lbs now. Losing more each day. Goal around 225. I am old too, 46.

Had a Kona Taro on order, but understand it is backordered till maybe august or so.

I want to know if there is one bike I can start out with geared. Get myself in better shape, to ultimately, be a badass singlespeeder. Without too much component changes to reach your guys level of Badassery.

I do know now that the Taro didn't have dropouts.

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdabike View Post
    Read some of the other post about becoming a Badass singlespeeder.

I already have a beard, so I am halfway there, right?

Just got back into biking a few months ago. Bought a GT Karakoram, large size. I am 6'4" 250 lbs now. Losing more each day. Goal around 225. I am old too, 46.

Had a Kona Taro on order, but understand it is backordered till maybe august or so.

I want to know if there is one bike I can start out with geared. Get myself in better shape, to ultimately, be a badass singlespeeder. Without too much component changes to reach your guys level of Badassery.

I do know now that the Taro didn't have dropouts.
    You can convert most any frame to SS with a singulator or a White Industries ENO hub. Single Speed FAQ

If you are looking to buy a new frame, consider the Niner SIR. Can be set up geared and it has an eccentric BB that can easily switched to SS. S.I.R. 9
    Marty

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you like the Kona Taro, obvious choice would be a Kona Honzo. Sliding drops, so you can go singlespeed easy. Contrary to what mcoplea suggested, I wouldn't get a vert drop frame and convert with singulator or WI ENO. It's better to have a SS-specific/capable frame from the get-go, if you know that's the direction you're going to head anyway.

Niner SIR9 is a fine bike, but I have heard from heavier riders that they're a bit noodly feeling. If you're 200+, I would research a bit more.

Another great frame is the Canfield Nimble 9. Similar geometry to the Taro/Honzo, but sexier.

mtbr member
    I'll never be badass cause my job won't let me grow a beard

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    My Asianess won't let me grow a beard either. I have to stop shaving in August to join Movember movement.

As for gear -> SS bike, Kona Honzo would be an excellent choice. With142 x 20 rear hub and 20 front hub, and 120mm Revelation fork, it'll take a beating and a half and still last many years.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    That Canfiled is in fact a badass looking bike. I was just thinking about a custom frame...I may change my mind. That thing is sick looking.

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    If you like the Kona Taro, obvious choice would be a Kona Honzo. Sliding drops, so you can go singlespeed easy. Contrary to what mcoplea suggested, I wouldn't get a vert drop frame and convert with singulator or WI ENO. It's better to have a SS-specific/capable frame from the get-go, if you know that's the direction you're going to head anyway.

Niner SIR9 is a fine bike, but I have heard from heavier riders that they're a bit noodly feeling. If you're 200+, I would research a bit more.

Another great frame is the Canfield Nimble 9. Similar geometry to the Taro/Honzo, but sexier.
    I concur that having a SS specific frame or SS capable bike is the BEST way to go. Just trying to give the OP options to consider.

I own 2 Niner SIR's and weigh over 200 lbs. I love the ride and they do not feel noodly to me at all.
    Marty

Just Ride
    Redline Monocog. Though I may be biased...

Anyway, why start with gears at all? Just jump right into a full on SS ass kicking! It'll whip you into shape faster and more effectively than gears. With gears you have the option to take it easy. And no doubt will, since the option is there. With SS you gotta just grunt it out, or walk. Though I'm guessing your pride won't let you walk until you stall or spin out the rear. That's how it works for me anyway. I'm fairly certain, most are the same way!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member

Capable New Bike?

I am a huge fan of my Specialized Carve SL in XXL, and I am 6'7" 240ish.
    Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    On One Lurcher or Scandal. They have swapouts!
    Chris King Cielo
    Vassago Optimus Ti (2013)
    Vassago VerHauen 2nd Gen
    Ragley TD:1

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am trying to decide on a complete bike that is capable, and affordable enough, to get by the non-bearded financial officer.

She is badass, but not for my hobby.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Honzo is my top dog at this time.

mtbr member
    I concur that if you are wanting a SS, get a SS frame. The day I rode my diSSent SS for the first time I knew I'd never go back to gears. At least on a mountain bike. I also think I'd have a hard time buying a complete bike again after building my last one. I'd consider that too if I were you. Maybe not the most budget friendly way to get a bike, though it can be. You'll ride your bike with more pride and know that all the components are exactly what you want on the bike.

mtbr member
    I have a Santa Cruz Highball Aluminum and the changeable dropouts have been bomb proof for SS.

Super stiff, nice geo, great price.

Mine is 20#'s with Niner Carbon fork...

I've put almost 600 miles on it since building it up in March.

SPP
    SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdabike View Post

Bought a GT Karakoram, large size. I am 6'4" 250 lbs now.
    You're 6'4 and riding a Large frame? Did your LBS size you up on that? Seems a bit off to me. As soon as I saw you get out of your car in the parking lot of my shop I would already be assuming you'd ride a XL or something around 21", but w/e floats ur boat! If you can find a frame that has split drop-outs so you can run a belt-drive I think that is the ultimate in SSness. I'm pretty sure the Spot Rocker comes with belt-drive installed and is capable of being converted to geared also. You can buy it as a frame only and save some money building it up a little more affordable. Spot likes to deck out their completes.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No, no, no, no, nooooo. Do not buy a geared bike at all. Just get a single speed and when you can't ride, walk it up the hill. Over time you will walk less and less. Don't waste money on useless items like derailleurs and shifters. Also, start out with a reasonably low gear ratio. That will help. My personal favorite gear ratio on a 29er is 32/21. That might seem a bit low to some people, but it's always worked for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    No, no, no, no, nooooo. Do not buy a geared bike at all. Just get a single speed and when you can't ride, walk it up the hill. Over time you will walk less and less. Don't waste money on useless items like derailleurs and shifters. Also, start out with a reasonably low gear ratio. That will help. My personal favorite gear ratio on a 29er is 32/21. That might seem a bit low to some people, but it's always worked for me.
    I've already done exactly what Thor29 said. My first MTB was a single speed and I've never bought anything else. I love it. I'm a budding XC rider/racer with BMX racing backround so a single speed 29er is a match made in heaven for me. I started out on a GT Peace 9er with is a steel frame with track style dropouts and chain tensioner bolts. (this runs 32/18).

These chain tensioners have given me some grief but are easily replaced at your local hardware / nuts and bolts store. This has been the perfect bike for me while I learn the finer points of trail riding. This bike has seen me wash-out and over cook turns much more than I care to mention and has held up through it all. I still race on this rig to this day. Yes, the steel is a little heavy, and I could put some nicer parts on it but I'm saving all that for my new race rig. I've finally gotten comfortable enough in my ability to move up to a carbon fiber frame and I'm currently building one now. This frame has siding drop outs that I'm very happy with.

You will get into EXCELLENT shape a lot faster on a single speed. I've only been riding mountain bikes for 8 months and I can already podium in CAT2 against geared riders. I've become a huge fan of specialized lately. Their customer service is in my experience, second to none. Even companies outside the cycling industry can't hold a candle to them. They're also one of the most innovative and progressive bike companies around. Some would argue Cannondale takes this cake, but I've strayed from Cdale since they bought GT and all the walmart brands and moved out of the U.S. (yes, I'm aware Specialized is made Taiwan and etc. as well.) It's the walmart part that bugs me. Just get the bike that fits you best. Do what I did, start with something that can take a beating. I'd look at the Stumpjumper Singlespeed, Surly Karate Monkey, GT Peace 9er, Redline Mono, Trek Rig SS (if you like g2 geo). Affordable, last forever if you take care of it, worthy of upgrading. Oh, and just as a side note, it is not uncommon for single speeders to race/ride totally hungover or drink while you're riding. Funny story, the 1st race in the current 12-pack series that's going on, all the single speeders decided last second that after each lap, we all have to chug 1 beer or be unofficially dis-qualified by the other riders, lol. It was a mess and I threw up on my front tire do to the amount of foam coming out of the keg.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Specialized Carve SL is SS and ready to be set up 1X10. Love mine, very affordable to get started.

Looked at the Salsa El Mariachi 2 as it has swinging dropout to easily make SS by taking the gears off.

mtbr member

Capable New Bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    How about some long sideburns?

SPP
    Rigid.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    SS frame choice above are a good idea...I would also say don't bother with gears if you plan to SS. If need be, select some rings or cogs to lower your gearing and work up over time. The money you save on gears you can get a proper ss wheelset, and nicer setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    Redline Monocog. Though I may be biased...

Anyway, why start with gears at all? Just jump right into a full on SS ass kicking! It'll whip you into shape faster and more effectively than gears. With gears you have the option to take it easy. And no doubt will, since the option is there. With SS you gotta just grunt it out, or walk. Though I'm guessing your pride won't let you walk until you stall or spin out the rear. That's how it works for me anyway. I'm fairly certain, most are the same way!
    I'm very biased so I agree with this guy as well. I'm on my second Monocog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    How about some long sideburns?

SPP
    That might be an option.