mtbr member
    May 2004

Cannondale Caffeine EBB Stuck!

Hello, I just bought a 2008 caffeine SS. I can't turn the ebb. The wedge is loose but the rest won't turn. I tried a spanner,It won't move. I searched everywhere and can't find the info. How do I break this loose? Heat the frame slightly with a heat gun? Hit the cranks with a mallet???? I have been putting wd40 on it for a few days. It won't budge.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Take off everything that can come off, cranks, wedge, bolts. Get a bigger hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks, that's what i thought but i just wanted to ask before i broke something.

mtbr member
    Do not hit the cranks with a mallet, I've ruined at least one set of cranks with that "technique". Like was said, remove everything you can and try again. If the wedge still won't budge, try backing out on the wedge bolt and *lightly* tapping on that to free the wedge. Make sure you are tapping in a manner which will force the wedge out, not deeper in. Make sure not hit it too hard or you can ruin the EBB.

This is the reason I prefer sliders, although a Carver EBB might be a good upgrade if you really like this frame.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The wedge came out easily. It the rest that won't spin.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Is it steel stuck to aluminum? I've had good luck with ammonia (strong stuff, not just windex) when trying to free up a stuck aluminum seatpost in a steel frame. I just kept spraying it and tapping with a rubber mallet to help it penetrate.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
    Is it steel stuck to aluminum? I've had good luck with ammonia (strong stuff, not just windex) when trying to free up a stuck aluminum seatpost in a steel frame. I just kept spraying it and tapping with a rubber mallet to help it penetrate.
    I believe both the frame and EBB are aluminum.

I would personally try to soak it in PB Blaster for a few days and try to gently tap it out. You don't want to go banging around with a mallet and deform the shell. It is very important to have a ROUND shell with an EBB. Otherwise, it could slip, creak, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yeah, that would make more sense (al on al). Still if there's any aluminum corrosion going on in there, ammonia will help dissolve it if other penetrants aren't working.

mtbr member
    There's always the smoke wrench...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    A machine shop should be able to press the bottom bracket out, likely without damaging anything.