Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    23

    Cannondale 1FG vs. Gary Fisher Rig

    I am looking for a SingleSpeed MTB and am trying to decide between the Gary Fisher Rig and the Cannondale 1FG.

    Much of my riding will be uphill in trying to build leg strength, and I have read that each fork for these two bikes has a solid lockout for that purpose.

    As my budget will only allow one reliable bike, with preferably as little maintenance as possible, anyone have any ideas on which would be the better choice for me?

    I realize the Gary Fisher Rig has 29-inch wheels compared to the the 26-inch wheels of the Cannondale 1FG. I can live with either wheel size as long as, all else equal, I have the best-quality bike of the two.

    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Last edited by georgia_lad; 07-20-2005 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Poor Settings

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,856

    Try to ride them both...

    as there is one striking difference between the two and it has nothing to do with maintenance...the 1FG is 26" wheels and the Rig is 29" wheels. You'll have to take that into account with your decision.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    as there is one striking difference between the two and it has nothing to do with maintenance...the 1FG is 26" wheels and the Rig is 29" wheels. You'll have to take that into account with your decision.

    Thanks, Nater. Any thoughts on the Headshok fully-rigid lockout compared to the same feature of the Rock Shox REBA fork on the GF Rig?

  4. #4
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,021
    How about selling the pricey fork on the Rig, replacing it with a simple rigid, and still have the slightly nicer cush of 29" wheels? The Rig gets very good reviews, and offers great value.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

  5. #5
    try driving your car less
    Reputation: jh_on_the_cape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,056
    both are great. get the one that fits better. if you have no idea which fits better, get the one which is from a local bike shop you feel comfortable with. they will fit the bike, perhaps swapping out the stem or something.
    the advice and mechanical skills of a good bike shop with your new bike can be invaluable at times.
    if you are not going through a bike shop... and dont know which fits better... choose based on color? I really have no idea. i have a headshok bike and its great. you cant lose between those two.
    happy trails!
    Only boring people get bored.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    both are great. get the one that fits better. if you have no idea which fits better, get the one which is from a local bike shop you feel comfortable with. they will fit the bike, perhaps swapping out the stem or something.
    the advice and mechanical skills of a good bike shop with your new bike can be invaluable at times.
    if you are not going through a bike shop... and dont know which fits better... choose based on color? I really have no idea. i have a headshok bike and its great. you cant lose between those two.
    happy trails!


    Well, a big part of my dilemma is that none of the authorized LBS retailers here in the Atlanta area for either CANNONDALE or GARY FISHER normally stock SS mountain bikes, stating "they just aren't very popular here" or "there are too many inclines here for SS bikes."

    Therefore, I've been told I'd have to put down a deposit in order for them to "special order" one for me and that they prefer I "be very sure" of whether I'm actually going to buy the bike once they receive it. Otherwise, they feel they'll get stuck with inventory for which they do not perceive local demand.

    So, that brings me to this point of trying to get as much third-party advice from the kindness of strangers I can in order to base my decision.

    Without advice from those with SS experience, the best I could try to do is try to test ride somewhat-similar bikes here locally and HOPE those rides would closely translate to the SS models.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by georgia_lad
    Well, a big part of my dilemma is that none of the authorized LBS retailers here in the Atlanta area for either CANNONDALE or GARY FISHER normally stock SS mountain bikes, stating "they just aren't very popular here" or "there are too many inclines here for SS bikes."

    Therefore, I've been told I'd have to put down a deposit in order for them to "special order" one for me and that they prefer I "be very sure" of whether I'm actually going to buy the bike once they receive it. Otherwise, they feel they'll get stuck with inventory for which they do not perceive local demand.

    So, that brings me to this point of trying to get as much third-party advice from the kindness of strangers I can in order to base my decision.

    Without advice from those with SS experience, the best I could try to do is try to test ride somewhat-similar bikes here locally and HOPE those rides would closely translate to the SS models.
    I haven't ridden the Cannondale, but I do have a Rig. I really like it. I came from full suspension and I figured the frame would be super harsh but it really is smooth. I did add a ti post though. The larger wheels do make a difference. Not as much as some would have you believe (like people that say they had a 4x4 or 5x5 and now ride a fully rigid 29er and it is just as cushy, whatever!), but a definite improvement over a 26 inch bike. The Reba is a great fork. The lockout is not quite fully locked. The fork will give just a bit (not much) and you can control how much force it will take to become active with the blowoff valve. For climbing or riding on the street it works great. When its fully active its soaks up the bumps very well, but I am in the Midwest so I haven't really taken it off anything too big. I think with a 29er the only drawback will be wheel products and the choices you have, eg rims and tires. If you are ordering a Rig you might have to wait a bit, although some are saying the 06's will be here in July or August. I had to order mine from out of state and have it shipped, as no shop within 200 miles of me had one (an '05 that is). But I was able to ride one before hand. You might try Ebay or the mtbr.com classifieds. At least you will pay less which might make it easier to swallow if you don't end up liking it. I would say from my time spent on the 29er forums that you would not have any problem selling the Rig if you didn't end up liking it, not sure about the demand on the 1FG.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,845
    "there are too many inclines here for SS bikes." - First laugh loudly at them. Then inform them they need to sack up follwed by walking out of the store and not buying anything from them. Obviously they haven't a clue.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,856

    My thoughts exactly...

    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    "there are too many inclines here for SS bikes." - First laugh loudly at them. Then inform them they need to sack up follwed by walking out of the store and not buying anything from them. Obviously they haven't a clue.
    Hilly courses are where SS bikes excel...under strong riders. Here in our state race series (in Wisconsin) a frequent poster here had what I think is his best result of the year last weekend when the circuit finally hit a hilly course. He always races SS (a RIG this year), races elite class, always places very well, but placed 3rd overall in the Pro/Expert/Elite class and the 2 guys that beat him were pros...congrats Creepyfriendly! On the flat courses is where you'll run out gear inches and spin your little legs off on the SS.

    I've got a 26" Reba on my geary dual sus bike and am very happy with it. If I put a shock on a SS someday...it will be a Reba with a Pop-Loc. I don't have any experience with a Headshock at all so I can't offer you anything there.

  10. #10
    Cubicle Fugitive
    Reputation: czardonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    162
    I'm surprised they didn't spout something just as bogus about 29'ers.

  11. #11
    Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Reputation: OneGearGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,705
    Vote: Rig.

    Come on up and visit me in Asheville. The shop I ride for is a C-dale dealer, and just up the road is a Fisher dealer. You can try them both, but I don't feel 26" wheels can hold a candle to the bigger hoops; esp for a SS. That is my opinion, and I could be wrong.

    GG
    Spinning and Grinning...

  12. #12
    Fisher test pilot
    Reputation: creepyfriendly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    83

    Rig!

    Why rig? Because its damn sexy. Great buy for the money not to mention you'll be riding big wheels. The genesis geometry puts your center of gravity over the rear wheel making climbing a breeze. Massive clearance out back and will double as a great cross bike in the fall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DeeZee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5,366

    New question here. Size Matters

    Quote Originally Posted by georgia_lad
    I am looking for a SingleSpeed MTB and am trying to decide between the Gary Fisher Rig and the Cannondale 1FG.

    Much of my riding will be uphill in trying to build leg strength, and I have read that each fork for these two bikes has a solid lockout for that purpose.

    As my budget will only allow one reliable bike, with preferably as little maintenance as possible, anyone have any ideas on which would be the better choice for me?

    I realize the Gary Fisher Rig has 29-inch wheels compared to the the 26-inch wheels of the Cannondale 1FG. I can live with either wheel size as long as, all else equal, I have the best-quality bike of the two.

    Thanks for any help you can give.
    How big are you?

  14. #14
    Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Reputation: Endomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,418
    Too hilly in Georgia? Those guys need to get out of Atlanta a little more and maybe they realize you live in a flat area. A little further north and more mountainous than Atlanta by far, my local C-dale LBS has sold more 1FGs this year than all other C-dale hardtails combined. If the local GF dealer could actually get Rigs he’d sell them all day.

    Theirs a huge fit difference between those 2 bikes I personally would even begin to compare them on anything but fit first. I bought my wife a Rig recently she is 5’-9” and fit the small Rig well but felt cramped on a med 1FG.

    IMHO 29” beats 26” hands down on anything under 7” of travel

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by creepyfriendly
    Why rig? Because its damn sexy. Great buy for the money not to mention you'll be riding big wheels. The genesis geometry puts your center of gravity over the rear wheel making climbing a breeze. Massive clearance out back and will double as a great cross bike in the fall.


    Hi, creepyfriendly.

    One poster said the fork on the Rig (Rock Shox REBA) won't lock out completely, leaving a small 'bob' when pedaling uphill.

    What has been your lockout experience with your Rig's fork for climbing?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    How big are you?

    I am 6'2 and roughly 215 - 220 lbs.

    Any ideas of frames sizes that best take advantage of the 1FG or Rig?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by czardonic
    I'm surprised they didn't spout something just as bogus about 29'ers.

    Actually, one of the Gary Fisher dealers did say roughly the same thing about the area "being too 'hilly'/too many inclines" for 29-inch wheels when explaining why they not only did NOT carry SS mountain bikes but that they declined to carry the Gary Fisher 29er series as well. The salesperson said 29-inch wheels are too hard for people to constantly pedal uphill.

    I am okay with either the 26-inch or 29-inch wheels. My primary goal is to find the best of these two bikes that will be a truly solid, well-built dependable ride that won't have to be taken to the shop every month for repairs.

    Although I can only afford one, I refuse to miss out on both of these great bikes because of a prevailing misconception with area LBS owners/management who don't want to stock them regularly.

  18. #18
    Cubicle Fugitive
    Reputation: czardonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    162
    I'd go with the Rig. I think you'd get a decent bike either way.

    I just fininshed building a new 26" SS about the time converted my CX to SS and put big tires on it. Having ridden both over the same terrain (many steep climbs), I don't think I will be buying another 26" bike. Both are full rigid, and the MTB being Ti, there isn't much of a weight difference. The larger wheels really do make a difference, even with skinnier tires. With 2.1"+ tires, its no competition.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by georgia_lad
    Actually, one of the Gary Fisher dealers did say roughly the same thing about the area "being too 'hilly'/too many inclines" for 29-inch wheels when explaining why they not only did NOT carry SS mountain bikes but that they declined to carry the Gary Fisher 29er series as well. The salesperson said 29-inch wheels are too hard for people to constantly pedal uphill.

    I have nothing constructive to add. My only reason to post is the apparent lack of knowledge that these shops seem to have. I ride mainly from my backdoor, above 8000 feet in the Rockies and only ride single. "Too hard for people to peddle", hmmph.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

  20. #20
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,021
    I have even less to add, apart from that the bike business as a whole for some reason still exists today after more than a decade despite a lack of knowledge and insight seen no-where else, from naufacturer to retailer. In the late 70's, cyclocross riders wanted bigger tires than 43-45c, and it took 2 decades of 26" MTB craze for it to happen. And even when in 1999 29" happened thanks to WTB, it took them 6 years to get where it's now, and they're still not making enough bikes to answer to the demand. Isn't an industry supposed to be ahead of it's consumers? Thank goodness for Fisher and Surly.

  21. #21
    SS Clyde 29er
    Reputation: fire horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    607
    [QUOTE=georgia_lad]Actually, one of the Gary Fisher dealers did say roughly the same thing about the area "being too 'hilly'/too many inclines" for 29-inch wheels when explaining why they not only did NOT carry SS mountain bikes but that they declined to carry the Gary Fisher 29er series as well. The salesperson said 29-inch wheels are too hard for people to constantly pedal uphill.



    FIRST OFF---Smack that dumb ass sales person! He is either ignorant, stoopid, or just a whimpy ass inexperienced shop monkey.

    Second- I live here in Santa Cruz, and when i go for a ride it involves a lot of climbing. At least 1,,500 -2,000 ft of overall gain per session. So I FART in the general direction of the notion that " 29-inch wheels are too hard for people to constantly pedal uphill."

    3rd- I own a RIG and my neighbor owns a 1FG. I LOOVE my Rig. I thought it was going to be more difficult than my 26er to pedal up hill, etc but, it's actually easier for me.

    -the REBA shock in "lock out" does give a little bob when going uphill BUT, gives u a little feedback so when ur cranking uphill, its more like a natural and smooth running motion.
    -since the wheels are bigger, and since my fork is uncut w lots of spacers, my handle bars are higher, so when im out of the saddle cranking, im more upright so i pedal more effeciently and dont strain my aging 39year old back.
    -the 29er wheels fly down hill, suck up bumps and dips in the trail and just rock.
    -the only upgrade i can even dream of making to the bike would b a Ti seatpost to abosorb some of the feed back from desending down hill at high speeds, (i did swap out the saddle and put my egg beater pedals on it of course).

    THE SKINNY on the 1FG:
    -OVERPRISED for what you get. Retail the bike used to go for 1,300 vs the Rig 900.
    -true the fork on the 1FG does lock out and the Rig has a bit of a bob on the Reba, BUT...the Reba is a way better fork in my and my neighbors opinion: more travel, absorbs bumps better, and doesnt feel like ur washing out on a turn.
    -my friends big complaint about the 1FG is that it is way to harsh a ride. in fact he's now gone back to mostly riding his FSR again.
    -the bottom bracket on the 1FG seems to canstantly need tightening! id say on at least 33% of the rides ive gone on w my friend, he has had to tighten down the BB onhis 1FG during our ride, which of course is evident from his dropped chain during a flat section.

    anyway, if you compare them id definatley say the RIG is the way to go. BTW im 6ft tall, 220 lbs and 32" inseam, so the medium (17.5") Rig works very well for me as far as size goes. good luck!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,856

    Creepyfriendly rides...

    a Karate Monkey fork on his Rig...check the picture. I think the Reba will bob a little bit when locked out climbing but it's not a problem or even noticeable. Definitely not a reason to not buy the Rig.

  23. #23
    Fisher test pilot
    Reputation: creepyfriendly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    83

    lock out schmock out.

    Yes, the "bob" is characteristic of any rock shox lock out forks. It acts as a safety for when you take a major impact when in the lock out mode. By no means will this slow your climbing.

  24. #24
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,687
    Quote Originally Posted by georgia_lad
    Actually, one of the Gary Fisher dealers did say roughly the same thing about the area "being too 'hilly'/too many inclines" for 29-inch wheels when explaining why they not only did NOT carry SS mountain bikes but that they declined to carry the Gary Fisher 29er series as well. The salesperson said 29-inch wheels are too hard for people to constantly pedal uphill.
    Good lord. I continue to be amazed by the ignorance of flatlanders. Reminds me of some of the stuff I heard living in Iowa.

  25. #25
    "Mr. Britannica"
    Reputation: roadiegonebad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    I have nothing constructive to add. My only reason to post is the apparent lack of knowledge that these shops seem to have. I ride mainly from my backdoor, above 8000 feet in the Rockies and only ride single. "Too hard for people to peddle", hmmph.

    maybe the only people that buy bikes from that shop are puss1es

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gary Fisher Sighting (w/pics)
    By P-Funk in forum Passion
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 10:29 AM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 09:36 PM
  3. Cannondale 1FG: trailworthy bike?
    By SpinWheelz in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-02-2004, 11:38 AM
  4. Fisher Rig vs. KM
    By seely in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 12:16 PM
  5. Titus vs. Leviathan vs Fisher
    By rossixc in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 07:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •