mtbr member

We the people ... Cannondale 1FG cranket upgrade discovery

Last night I settled into the bike shop in my garage to upgrade the crankset on my '04 1FG from a Firex 175mm to a Stylo Team 180mm. I was under the impression (from the cannondale website) that it came with a 32 tooth ring. But while comparing the two crankets I discovered that it had a 34 tooth ring from the factory. So I have been running around at 18/34 all this time thinking that I was working toward 32/16. So anyway... I was planning to put on the 16 tooth cog in making this change anyway. So now I am at 32/16 with 180mm cranks. Since the chain was so slack from the smaller chainring AND cog I went ahead and threw on a SRAM PC-48 with PowerLink.

One other note. The Original Firex spider allowed unfettered access to the fixing bolt for the EBB. With the Stylo I have to use a ball end driver. This can be a bit tricky as I usually have to bang the driver with a hammer to drive the wedge loose after losening the fixing bolt.

So... the net of it is... I don't feel so bad about what I have been able to accomplish with the 18t rear cog. Now with the 180mm (and yes.. the 5mm on each arm makes a very noticable difference just pedaling around) I should be an animal! (instead of just sounding like one)

I will report on the performance of the 180mm Stylo once I get in some ride time tonight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Weight

Quote Originally Posted by SoloWithOthers
    Last night I settled into the bike shop in my garage to upgrade the crankset on my '04 1FG from a Firex 175mm to a Stylo Team 180mm. I was under the impression (from the cannondale website) that it came with a 32 tooth ring. But while comparing the two crankets I discovered that it had a 34 tooth ring from the factory. So I have been running around at 18/34 all this time thinking that I was working toward 32/16. So anyway... I was planning to put on the 16 tooth cog in making this change anyway. So now I am at 32/16 with 180mm cranks. Since the chain was so slack from the smaller chainring AND cog I went ahead and threw on a SRAM PC-48 with PowerLink.

One other note. The Original Firex spider allowed unfettered access to the fixing bolt for the EBB. With the Stylo I have to use a ball end driver. This can be a bit tricky as I usually have to bang the driver with a hammer to drive the wedge loose after losening the fixing bolt.

So... the net of it is... I don't feel so bad about what I have been able to accomplish with the 18t rear cog. Now with the 180mm (and yes.. the 5mm on each arm makes a very noticable difference just pedaling around) I should be an animal! (instead of just sounding like one)

I will report on the performance of the 180mm Stylo once I get in some ride time tonight.
    Hey Bro, I have been thinking about getting a 1FG in a size Large. What size is yours and what is the weight? Do you like the head shock?

mtbr member

My 1FG is XL and I am unsure of the weight...

Quote Originally Posted by mtbkendall
    Hey Bro, I have been thinking about getting a 1FG in a size Large. What size is yours and what is the weight? Do you like the head shock?

The headshock is fantastic! If feels pretty light. I think most of the excess weight is in the wheels. But I weigh 23o so it's no big deal.

I love the bike. Get one!

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloWithOthers

Hey guys,
    I've got a 1FG and I've been playing with the eccentric also. Here's a suggestion, why not turn the eccentric bottom bracket assembly around so the head of the wedge bolt is on the other side of the frame? This gives you almost total access to the wedge bolt, and you need straight on access to get the wedge loose. I did this today and I seems ok. It's too wet to get out and really test it. I also emailed cannondale asking if this a good idea.

It's interesting that your 1FG came with a 34T chainring. My came with a 33T chainring. The cannondale web site says 32T.

Hey Solo, question for you...What were your reasons for swapping out the Firex cranks? I'm thinking that my Firex spider is out of round. (Something is off center.) This makes getting the chain tension hard to get just right.

Anybody know where to get 17 and 19 teeth rear cogs that aren't shaped for shifting that will fit on the 1FG?

Later.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ShokFlip
    Hey guys,
    I've got a 1FG and I've been playing with the eccentric also. Here's a suggestion, why not turn the eccentric bottom bracket assembly around so the head of the wedge bolt is on the other side of the frame? This gives you almost total access to the wedge bolt, and you need straight on access to get the wedge loose. I did this today and I seems ok. It's too wet to get out and really test it. I also emailed cannondale asking if this a good idea...l
    Later.
    It is possible that the BB will loosen easier with the eccentric reversed. The Left-handed threads on the drive side are that way to prevent loosening while riding.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

gentle like

17 tooth cogs ...

hey shokflip,
    in another thread someone posted that the bmx company mosh sells shimano-compatible 17t cogs. moshbikes.com, i think?
    don't know about the 19t off the top of my head. hope this helps

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShokFlip
    Hey Solo, question for you...What were your reasons for swapping out the Firex cranks? I'm thinking that my Firex spider is out of round. (Something is off center.) This makes getting the chain tension hard to get just right.

Anybody know where to get 17 and 19 teeth rear cogs that aren't shaped for shifting that will fit on the 1FG?

Later.
    I went with the Stylo SS in order to get a 180mm crank length. Being 6'5" and 230lbs. I have several disadvantages over the "mountain bike faries" out there so I thought I should take advantage of some more leverage for my size and strength.

Web Cyclery (www.webcyclery.com) is where I got the cranks and where you can get cogs that are perfect for the 1FG.

Yeah... that BB being reversed would be nice. Check out this thread over in the Cannondale forum: Optimo! vs. Furio! ready......FIGHT!!

James (who seems to work for Cannondale) rides a 1FG and talks about how they are working on a reversable BB. I'm sure Cannondale will come up with something innovative and patent-able. They seem to have a patent on EBB that is licensed by others.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    It is possible that the BB will loosen easier with the eccentric reversed. The Left-handed threads on the drive side are that way to prevent loosening while riding.
    Oh yeah. Thanks for pointing that out. I got it turned back around ready to ride tomorrow.