mtbr member

Cannondale 1FG build-up

After months of waiting for my warranty claim to come through (Scalpel with both seatstays separating fron the drop-out links), my 1FG finally arrived yesterday. The hold-up was with a Cannondale dealership. Once I contacted Cannondale directly, the ball got rolling quickly and efficiently. Cudos to Janis @ Cannondale for taking care of me.

The paint is gorgeous! Starts with a nice copper color at the BB and slowly blends into a black with orange metal flaking as it progresses along the down tube, seat tube, and chain stays. The Silver and white flames are simply decals (under the clearcoat) on top of the copper/black paint.

Since I'm such a numbers geek, I thought I'd post my progess as I build it up.
    • Fatty 80mm fork weight including lower bearing (top bearing and lock-out knob were missing and are getting shipped) --> 1305gr/2.87lbs
    • Medium frame including EBB, seat collar, cage bolts, headset cups, rear derailleur hanger --> 1835gr/4.04lbs
    • The Cannondale proprietary EBB is only 122gr! Very light. The wedge bolt can be swapped to the non-drive side making it easier to adjust tension. Surprisingly easy to pull out and service. From the sounds of other posts, that will have to be done every few weeks.
    • Three bottle cage mounts, and mounts on the top of the seat stays for a rear rack if one so desires.
    • Geometry wise, compared to my similar sized ORYX HT (SS test mule), the 1FG has a slightly longer wheelbase but smaller cabin. A visibly steeper seat tube is likely the reason. With the EBB postitioned for the lowest BB height, it's still a good .5-.75" higher than my HT. Good news b/c I constantly hit my cranks on the ground.
    • Expected build-up with reasonably durable parts should be at or just under 20lbs. Parts included are FSA carbon cranks with Boone spiderless 32 ring, Velocity VXC rims with WTB Lazer disc hubs, Kenda 2.2 tires with homebrew sealant, Formula B4 Sl+ brakes, AM Classic rebuildable ISIS BB, WTB Rocket Lazer V saddle, generic carbon seatpost and Salsa pro moto flat bar.
    Last edited by fritZman; 02-16-2005 at 09:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You are going to love this bike!! I certainly love mine. I have the 2003 model with the brushed aluminum finish and the gangsta style graphics. I have it built up with an 03 XT crank, specialized carbon bar and easton carbon seatpost, stock wheels (very heavy) specialized enduro 2.2 tires and avid mechanical disc brakes. It wieghs about 22.5 pounds (XL frame) but I think with lighter wheels I could get it to be about 21 pounds or lighter. This bike climbs like a banchee and is very stiff and very responsive. I don't think I've ever had a faster bike or one that's funner to ride. Enjoy