mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Can i use QR on horizontal dropouts?

I have a very old frame with horizontal dropouts that I am converting to SS. It has some normal not Quick release skewers. Can I change that for a QR? Or is it dangerous? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Markleo
    I have a very old frame with horizontal dropouts that I am converting to SS. It has some normal not Quick release skewers. Can I change that for a QR? Or is it dangerous? Thanks.
    I have raced a 24 hour race with QRs in track ends ("horizontal dropouts"). I used chain tugs mounted on the inside of the dropout to locate the axle.

I wouldn't try it without them.

The reason for mounting them on the inside is so that they engage on the axle not the skewer. The chain tugs need to be very thin in the washer part. I use the oldfashioned steel ones that were designed for hub gear bikes. They're hard to find now.
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    thanks. I will get some to try it out. I think it is more secure to have them on.
    Last edited by Markleo; 04-19-2007 at 01:51 AM.

meh... whatever
    surly makes a qr adapter for their tuggnuts, and theres no need to run them on the inside of the drop. i used them on outside with a qr wheel in horizontal drops and they work great.

the washer will work with most any tug, so if you already have tugs just need the washer. if you dont have tugs then id get the surly tuggnuts. theyre better than all the other ones ive used cuz they stay adjusted and dont loosen up, and can be adjusted by hand with no tools.

tuggnut... http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=45766

qr adapter washer... http://www.speedgoat.com/product-popup.asp?part=45765
    Last edited by monogod; 04-19-2007 at 10:06 AM.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Something's tingling
    I've been sporting the Redline tug on my SS with horiz. drops and QR skewer. I only have it on the drive side and no problems whatsoever.
    "Make me proud, son. Or at least less ashamed." -- Abe Simpson

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    surly makes a qr adapter for their tuggnuts
    With my frame, I had to hacksaw the tugnut to be able to utilize the "other" hole of it. With the hole that I could use it with initially, I weren't getting enough tension even when the thumb screws were all the way in.

Contrary to what Surly says, I installed two tugnutts. I am not sure whether it helps with the slippage on the non-drive side. I talked to a Surly representative at Sea Otter and he repeated that the non-drive side wouldn't slip with good QR.

I think that the non-drive side may slip by pivoting on the drive side tugnutt. I am not sure :/

Hi, my name is Ali and I have an obsession with my chain tension. I make it tight but it's loose again within a shourt amount of pedalling. I need to change my understanding of loose I guess.

Ali

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    surly makes a qr adapter for their tuggnuts, and theres no need to run them on the inside of the drop....tuggnut... http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=45766
    qr adapter washer... http://www.speedgoat.com/product-popup.asp?part=45765
    Thanks for that - it means being able to use easier to find tugnuts and it would be easier to setup.
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

mtbr member
    I've used horizontal dropouts with a QR and no other chaintugs or whatever with no problem. Make sure you get a good QR. Sheldon has some advice here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Change the axle

Quote Originally Posted by Markleo
    Have you looked into changing the axle out? You might be able to get an axle that you can run nuts on, like a BMX or track bike. I think you need a 174mm long axle and what ever thread pitch needed (like 10mm or 9.5mm) good luck! I donít think itís a good idea to run QR on horizontal dropouts.

mtbr member
    I use QR on my road fixie (old school steel Shimano 600's) and haven't had any issues with the hub moving in the horizontal drop outs, even when doing hill sprints. Roadies used this setup for 60 years without any issues, I can't see it being a problem on track ends as long as you use a decent quality QR. I use QR on my SS but it's on a frame with normal vertical drop outs and an eccentric bottom bracket.

Members who have read this thread: 0