mtbr member
    May 2004

Campy UT Crank for SS

Anyone out there using a campy crank on their singlespeed. I'm entertaining the idea of using the Campy Centaur Ultra Torque Compact to replace my White Industries/Phil BB. I cannot get the creaking stopped and it annoys me. My concern with the campy is the hidden bolt (threads into crank arm). If I run a 32T and I need to mount the chain ring on the outside, I don't think there will be enough chain clearance. If I run it on the inside I'm concerned about finding the proper spacer. Anyone with some experience here? Any pictures? My next alternative would be the Middleburn and new Crank Brothers ISIS BB.

Witty McWitterson
    Sam at Singular runs one on one of his bikes. Looks great. BUT, you're going to be limited on that crank. It's a 110mm bolt pattern, but not a regular one. Campy has their own pattern, so you're limited to a campy 34T ring. No 32T will ever fit on it. Clearance will also be tight. It sure would look cool though...
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure the ends of the crank arms will clear the chainstays, I ran into that problem trying to run Spec S-Works road cranks on my BB30 singlespeed, they wouldn't clear the stays.

bolt your cranks together and measure the distance between the inside of the arms and see if they are wider than your chainstays
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Friend tried to run one on a Bianchi SS. Didn't even come close to clearing the chainstays.
    110mm BCD doesn't ever go down to 32T, Campy or not.
    With that said, 34T is really close enough to 32T for the front anyways...
    Campy 34T are likely 10sp specific; thin. If you put on a lot of miles, you'll go through them very quickly; expensive. Cool looking though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, I've used one both on my proto Ti frame and a Swift. The Swift required some judicious chainstay crimping in order for the ends of teh cranks to clear the frame. Both of them required the eccentric to be as far forward as possible to get chainring/chainstay clearance.

Yes - I do own Singular Cycles