mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Caloi Super Cruz Build (this one works)

I may change the handlebars to a red ano riser, and the brakes are changing to deore v's but other than that it is finished!!! I cannot wait to ride, will be on saturday I think, and I will post a ride report when done.

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Cool build.........

How much did you end up getting the frame for off of Ebay? Interesting ride. Now get it dirty!!

Rob
    Fermented Apple Juice rules!!!!!! BURRRRPP!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Frame

I only paid $40 shipped for the frame... (made a side deal with the seller) Was one of the best sellers I ever dealt with. They even stripped the bike for me before shipping it (had a bunch of heavy rusted parts on it that I knew I would not need)

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Ride Report

Wow... WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW! approx 7 miles and I am hooked. This SS rigid thang is nifty. As soon as I realized that I could stop thinking about what gear I am in, or what gear I should be in, or how poor a shifting descision I just made, I was able to focus a lot more on the riding and the trail.

A friend who has some experience on a rigid SS and I went to Brandywine Creek State Park in DE after work today and tore it up. loop we chose was fairly aggressive for a first ride on a new bike, but I adapted almost immediately... until I got roughly 1/2 way through the ride and had to turn the bike uphill!!

The climbing is a huge challenge. I am running 32:18, and would not consider gearing down for these fairly technical trails.

Mechanicals: I have a really sh1tty rear brake on the bike rignt now, and almost immediately it became apparant that I had not adjusted them properly... also after a particularly fast rocky downhill I started to hear a nasty rattle from the sten headset area. A quick tighten of the top cap solved that, and the brake is still sh1t, but I adjusted it trailside, and it will have to do till I get the new ones in the mail.

The frame is not too harsh, and actually fits me well. I thought it would be too small, but the smaller frame size translated to more control through the rock gardens and switchbacks.

I need a suspension corrected fork (80mm I think) this one causes the front end to drop too much, and makes the steering really twitchy. As it is the bike feels really racey, and that is not what I am used to.

I endoed near the end of the ride, I think from sheer exhaustion,I was going over a log, and got the front end stuck on the edge.... BANG... right over the bars. I still had a huge smile on my face when I got up, and did not do any damage so all is good.

Summary: I think my geared bike may get left behind more often now. The reponsiveness of a SS, and the lack of noise coming from the drivetrain is truly remarkeable. I am really tired, but that is even better since I could stand to lose a couple pounds anyway. I think that this frame will be good for a while, and the components (other than the current brakes) are fairly decent. I cannot wait to get back on the bike, and I have not felt this sense of urgency for biking since I left ME 2+ years ago. We have a better set of trails nearby (White Clay Creek) that is more suited to SS, and I am excited to explore these trails all over again.

Reviewer/Tester
    Oh-oh...

Welcome to the dark side.. There is no going back once you have been 'converted'

SS'ing is fun..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    certainly feel like it would be easy to get addicted fast!!! I am all smiles

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

BUMP... 2 weeks in ride report

So in short, I still love the SS and rigid... I feel like I have fallen in love with biking all over again

A few updates:
    Been riding alot in Brandywine Creek state park in DE lately. Great trails, and although I thought originally they would be too technical for SS (and more specifically for rigid) I am getting along just fine. Really long rock gardens and lots of log crossings. I have a loop that I am fairly happy with, and it works for quick rides after work.

So far I have changed the bars to the red risers, and the GEO now feels much more do-able (the flats caused too many endos, and it felt like an XC race bike, not something that mixes well with lots of steeps downs, and huge rock gardens).

The Token saddle is nice but I have already bent the rails on it... I am a clyde, and was stupid to think that I could take a super-light road saddle on the trails... It is still useable but as I am getting more confident at riding harder terrain at faster speeds it is only a matter of time...

I finally reached some level of confidence on climing the other day... I was standing and cranking up a technical section of singletrack, and realized that I had just climbed for more than a few pedal strokes w/o having to get off... I was so excited I lost my mo' and had to get off and walk! The climbing is wonderful though, and I already feel myself getting much stronger on the hills.

I scored a pair (yes that is a pair) of Fire XC Pro 2.1 wire beads on eBay for $1.98 ($20 total with shipping) and will put those on tonight for tomorrows ride. I plan on hitting up White Clay Creek with a buddy of mine (he rides SS too) and his finace (1x8 geared). Sunday looks like back to Brandywine on the SS, or up to Wissahickon (Philly, PA) on the geared bike... (I may cave and bring the SS instead, but am hesitant to get in over my head).

Anyone have any experinece with the Panaracers Fire XC pro 2.1 wire beads?? They look fairly promising, and I really needed a change since I am currently running Revolt SS and they really don't like the mud.

Also, I was wondering if anyone out there are used a really cheap rigid fork (mongoose 4130, curved blades, $11 shipped) and then switched to a surly 1x1 or a kona p2 and seen a huge difference. This fork seems good for now, I like the GEO it gives me w/ the riser, and it doesn't seem overly harsh, but I am afraid that I may be missing someting all the same.

Finally got the cheap arse shimano v brake (w/ Power Modulator ?!?) off the back, and the Deore that I replaced it with has worked admirably.

WHEW!!!! Kinda a long winded boring post, but I have read plenty of the same that all of you serve up daily (J/K). And I an positive that all you know what it feels like to be TOTALLY EFFING PSCHYED about SS riding.

See ya all down the trail, Kevin

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

In the Delaware Valley are ya?

When you're done with Brandywine, check out white clay, fair hill, marsh creek, wissahickan, French Creek, etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

WHITE CLAY rEpReSeNt!

White Clay is phenomenal... I was not a huge fan of Fair Hill but I have been told i was on the wrong trails. I will be out @ White clay tommorow am... do you live in the area too???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mp29k

I may change the handlebars to a red ano riser, and the brakes are changing to deore v's but other than that it is finished!!! I cannot wait to ride, will be on saturday I think, and I will post a ride report when done.
    They rent them bikes out all over Key West FLA Very nice welds. Cool Bike.