mtbr member
    May 2007

Calling all mountain Alt-Bar enthusiasts

Hey everyone, this is Chris at Scrub Components. I have been thoroughly enjoying my Bianchi MUSS this summer, and decided it might be a cool side project to do a cool handlebar for it.

There is always tons of discussion in the singlespeed forum, so it seemed like a great idea to open up a thread and get some input from everyone here on what you always wished for in an alt-bar.

I've got some of my own ideas for a bar that I would like to have on my bike, but here is we are looking for:

- Input on favorite backsweep angles, widths, etc.
    - Novel ideas for a bar with a very specific purpose in mind - Mountain SingleSpeed !!
    - Any other specs or features that would be included in a dream handlebar

This bar is not meant to be our next big product, and you will not find them in your LBS anytime soon. That being said, they are destined to become an available product in small quantities if we come up with something cool!

Please don't ask us to simply copy your favorite expensive bar and make it cheaper, that is not the point here. Pretty much anything else goes though!

Thanks and Happy Trails,

Chris
    Chris
    Scrub Components
    www.scrubcomponents.com

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by singltraker
    Hey everyone, this is Chris at Scrub Components. I have been thoroughly enjoying my Bianchi MUSS this summer, and decided it might be a cool side project to do a cool handlebar for it.
    Hey Chris,

That MUSS is right at home with a Fu-bar on it - and you know how I know
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    Hey Chris,

I'd root for a wider FU2...

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Or a FU with more sweep, eh?
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

is buachail foighneach me
    I think there are more alt bar threads popping up in the 29er forum than here. You might get better input there, even though you're on a 26" bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hey Chris,

Yes I do, and the bike has been a blast.

I know there are some folks who consider themselves alt-bar guru's around here somewhere, how about some outside the box stuff? Even if it's silly, at least it makes the thread more fun...
    Chris
    Scrub Components
    www.scrubcomponents.com

Ovaries on the Outside
    Or a FU with more sweep, eh?
    I don't like how far back the sweep on the FU goes. On my current bike it would mean a new stem. Wouldn't mind giving more width than the FU a spin while we're at it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    I think there are more alt bar threads popping up in the 29er forum than here. You might get better input there, even though you're on a 26" bike.

What if my ride is a 650b?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I ran an FU and my brother runs a FU2. I like the width of the 2 better but you can't get the brake lever far enough away to be comfy for 1 finger use.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckedrex
    I ran an FU and my brother runs a FU2. I like the width of the 2 better but you can't get the brake lever far enough away to be comfy for 1 finger use.
    It is hard to get the lever far enough up for two finger use, really. But it is the only bar that I can ride and not notice hand comfort or control all day...

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by kcaz
    What if my ride is a 650b?
    Do you want the English answer or the scientific answer?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Maybe a bar with 3 piece construction?
    center piece mount to stem. the other two ends in various sweeps or design, screw on, bolt on whatever.
    Not sure if it's feasible weight, construction and performance wise but it'll be nice to see some non 1 piece handlebar that allows users to tweak with.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hey Guys,

I've got some of my own ideas on sweep angles, etc. but what I've gathered so far is perhaps a wider bar? I was thinking around 700mm which is a bit wider than the FU.

A 3-piece sounds cool, I'm not sure how you would get the strength needed off the top of my head. We put an awful lot of force on our bars when singlespeeding! We'd probably end up with either a boat anchor or a $1000 handlebar, neither sounds too appealing to me.

I do like the spirit of the idea though, that is what I'm looking for is some ideas worth chatting about here!

Thanks everyone, keep it coming if you've got any more details on your wish list...

Chris
    Chris
    Scrub Components
    www.scrubcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    Do you want the English answer or the scientific answer?

Scientific of course.

Finally someone responding to my attempt at sarcasm. I was starting to get concerned I missed the mark.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    A 3-piece sounds cool, I'm not sure how you would get the strength needed off the top of my head. We put an awful lot of force on our bars when singlespeeding! We'd probably end up with either a boat anchor or a $1000 handlebar, neither sounds too appealing to me.
    $1,000 for one set of handlebars? That's ridiculous -- for $1,000 you can get two Original H-bars . . . .

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by kcaz
    Scientific of course.

Finally someone responding to my attempt at sarcasm. I was starting to get concerned I missed the mark.
    Oh, we're right there. There might ten or fifteen guys on here with a sense of humor, so usually you can expect four to read it and one to respond.

Really I am that slow
    salsa woodchipper dropbarish but you could put regular brakes on it?? also love my groovy love handles
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    May 2007
    SlowerThanSnot - Thanks for the input. I've got some ideas, and will definitely keep everyone on the MTBR community posted when I've got something to show.

The bar will definitely be hydraulic lever oriented, and what I've got so far is a bit different than everything else out there currently.

I'm still up for more ideas on specs, features, etc. if anyone has an epiphany! Thanks all,

Chris
    Chris
    Scrub Components
    www.scrubcomponents.com

mtbr member
    This may sound crazy, but a bar that has integrated LED lights would be damn cool.

Inrideo est vita
    The Ragley Carnegie has nearly everything I could want except for control(s) space...
    I like the sweep, rise, angles, etc, but there is not quite enough room to fit the controls (685mm tip-to-tip). Even if you just have brake levers and grips, I find I have to put the brake clamp at the bend in the bar just to get the lever far enough from the grip.
    My perfect bar would be more like 700 or 715mm tip-to-tip.
    Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit wider please.
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

mtbr member
    I have been following the alt bar threads- I am personally looking for an alt bar that has 20-25* of sweep (I have broken both thumbs - one at the wrist and one at the knuckle) and I very much need more sweep, a little upsweep is good too. I also need it to rise 1-2" I ride an 26r and like to ride a bit upright (broken back you know).

Really the Carnegie has everything but width my shoulder width alone dictates a wider bar. The SOMA Odin has got width but no rise- so thats my thoughts. Thinking 700-750mm (let riders trim to their liking).

Phatt Tire Luva'
    Hey Guys,

I've got some of my own ideas on sweep angles, etc. but what I've gathered so far is perhaps a wider bar? I was thinking around 700mm which is a bit wider than the FU.

Chris

The lack of such a bar (and I'd argue for even wider...) has kept me from even trying out one of these new Alt-bars. Something like this might really get me to look a little more seriously at this new Alt-Bar craze. I ride a 31" set of wings, and while I'm a bit intrigued at what an Alt bar could offer differently... every bar that I've tried to play with in a shop seems just way too narrow.

If anyone has any input on why an Alt-bar would be a better match than say a 31" Atlas bar with some nubby bar ends... feel free to edu-ma-cate me. In all honesty - I've asked this question to many shop employees and no one seems to have an answer.
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

master blaster
    4 peice ti mustache bars
    Name:  bars.png
Views: 281
Size:  3.8 KB

mtbr member
    It's probably worth pointing out that tip-to-tip dimensions on alt.bars give a misleading dimension as to where your hands will end up relative to a "normal" bar.

The Carnegie's were designed to position your hand centre at the same distance apart as a 720mm "conventional" bar, but the tip-to-tip dimension is less due to the angle of the grip section (coming backwards, not going outwards).

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojoaf
    I have been following the alt bar threads- I am personally looking for an alt bar that has 20-25* of sweep (I have broken both thumbs - one at the wrist and one at the knuckle) and I very much need more sweep, a little upsweep is good too. I also need it to rise 1-2" I ride an 26r and like to ride a bit upright (broken back you know).

Really the Carnegie has everything but width my shoulder width alone dictates a wider bar. The SOMA Odin has got width but no rise- so thats my thoughts. Thinking 700-750mm (let riders trim to their liking).
    Groovy Luv Handles can be made to custom widths for just a $15 upcharge, so you could get your 700-750mm wide bar with 21.5 degree sweep and 1" rise.

http://groovycycleworks.com/extras.aspx