mtbr member

Buying new cranks

Hi,

I am having a lot of problems with centering my chainring on my cranks. The cranks are cheap and old. I am thinking about getting some new ones. I saw ENO cranks at the Sea Otter this weekend and they look way cool and solve my problem. They seem a bit pricey, but they may be worth the price? So I have two questions, if I buy the ENO should I get longer cranks (ie 180 - I am 5'9" 165lbs if that's important)? And ar ENO worth the cost?

Thanks,

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004
    When in doubt go long!
    bus driver wanna be

Tame the Penguin!

Truvativ Stylo Ss Crankset '04

I'm putting together a new Kona Unit with a set of the '04 Truvativ Stylo SS cranks with the Race Face Signature FR BB that allows you to align your chainline at the BB. I got the cranks & BB from Ventanarama and he got me a wicked price for them. I like the fact that the cranks come with the bash ring.

Now, depending on how you feel about the ISIS BB versus longevity, this may or may not be the crankset for you. The Stylo SS cranks are now available in 180mm. However, the affordable price for new compontents might sway you as it did me.
    Last edited by El Beastro; 04-19-2004 at 03:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

In My humble opinion,

You are not really tall enough to worry about using 180's. I am 6' and I do use them but I do have 3" on You. At least the Women say that.

Am I getting too bulky?
    I'm 6' 2" tall, and prefer 175's. I'd rather have the rock clearance than whatever supposed leverage advantage I'd gain from the longer cranks, which from my somewhat limited experience is zero. The advantages of shorter cranks, including spinability, should not be overlooked.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

no gears, no tears
    I agree with the others, you aren't really tall enough to go with 180's. I'm 5' 11" and i run 175's with no problems. I've been running truvativ stylo team cranks for 2 1/2 years with no major problems. I did wear out my first BB kinda quick, but the new one seems to be holding up fine.

blame me for missed rides
    when in doubt, stay the same.

"Mr. Britannica"

whoa

Quote Originally Posted by weather
    when in doubt, stay the same.
    That's exactly what I was going to post.

Also, depends alot on your knees. Some people can't tolerate even small changes in crank length. I had problems going from 170 on road to 172.5 for CX... but then again, everyone is different.

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004

Different Strokes for Different Folks

I would agree that everyone is different. I'm not a spinner, and like to push, so to logical choice for me is 180's. I find the extra leverage to be a good thing when going up hill. In a previous life as a BMXer I used 185's. Back then there was a formula that measured a riders inseam. At 5' 10" with a 32" inseam that is where I fell. I would also say that if you prefer to sit all the time then the longer cranks may feel unconfortable.
    bus driver wanna be

mtbr member

Good job! go 175

Quote Originally Posted by Dude!
    Hi,

I am having a lot of problems with centering my chainring on my cranks. The cranks are cheap and old. I am thinking about getting some new ones. I saw ENO cranks at the Sea Otter this weekend and they look way cool and solve my problem. They seem a bit pricey, but they may be worth the price? So I have two questions, if I buy the ENO should I get longer cranks (ie 180 - I am 5'9" 165lbs if that's important)? And ar ENO worth the cost?

Thanks,
    The ENO cranks are it! https://www.webcyclery.com/.docs/pro...t_details.html
    Go for 175s, the 180s are long for you. All my bikes are 175 and it feels fine. They are worth every dime.
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 02-06-2007 at 06:14 PM.