mtbr member

Buying a Monocog Flight 29er (first SS) What do I need to know?

Not exactly my first SS. I had a 26" Bianchi SASS that I rode a couple times but I flipped it and made some money.

My main reasons for buying this bike.
    1. Commute to work (5 miles not super hilly)
    2. Get stronger. My legs are like big tanks used for sprinting and I want to get more endurance.
    3. Ride singletrack xc/trail and become a better rider.
    4. Have a good spare bike.

What else do I need to know? I have been reading multiple threads but I could use some more schooling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What do you mean? Just ride the crap out of it. What else are you wanting to know??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    What do you mean? Just ride the crap out of it. What else are you wanting to know??
    That is the idea right?

New techniques I need to learn for riding?
    Should I change up the gearing(mostly flat with small hills)?
    Best upgrades?

I want to keep it simple.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well, you're talking about fine-tuning. This is where I really get intrigued with singlespeeding, because there is no one answer like in the geared world where you just throw on a 12-36 cassette and call it good for everything. So I'm trying to say that it really depends on your terrain and physical ability. Start with the gearing you have now, whatever that may be, and if it's too easy/slow, go up a tooth or two in the rear.

Same thing with "best upgrades." Depends on what your goals are and your budget. I say just ride the thing for now and you will figure out what you need, or don't. I rode a bone-stock Redline Monocog 29er for years (yes, with the stock V-brakes and super heavy wheels) and enjoyed every minute of it.

It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you got. - SC

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you want it for both commuting and trail riding you may be dissapointed with SS. It will come from the factory geared for easy singletrack, way low for most road riding. I can spin 32/20 up to 16 or 18mph, but no way is it fun to keep that cadence up on the road. My road SS is geared 46 and 15 or 17 on either side of the wheel. Makes for easy cruising at 20mph.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by c_m_shooter View Post
    If you want it for both commuting and trail riding you may be dissapointed with SS. It will come from the factory geared for easy singletrack, way low for most road riding. I can spin 32/20 up to 16 or 18mph, but no way is it fun to keep that cadence up on the road. My road SS is geared 46 and 15 or 17 on either side of the wheel. Makes for easy cruising at 20mph.
    He's got a 5-mile commute. I really wouldn't care that much about my gearing. Besides, from his descriptions of his local trails, he'll probably bump down to 32x17-18 anyway.

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    This is what will become of your other bike. The SS is rarely the spare bike. Most who ride SS use it as their primary bike. Just saying.

I have the stock 2013 Monocog. not the flight, but the base model. Great bike! Only thing I've changed thus far are taking the BB7s off my geared bike, which is now my spare bike, sans brakes of course.

Currently have a set of hans dampf tires along with a pair of ESI chunkys on the way. And right now saving for a new wheel build. As I hear that lighter wheels are by far the best bang for your buck as far as upgrades go. Next on my list is cranks, specifically of the spiderless variety. Personal preference as far as that goes. After that I'm not sure, since the wheels and cranks should take up most of the summer till I can afford both...

But yea, ride what you have and enjoy it!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    get used to rigid? lol I just got a flight as well. Im used to running about 20psi on my full squish. Ended up hitting rim 2 times before i went back to the car for more air. Other then that man its bumpy but def fun. Its great not having to worry about gears and just know its time to mash it up or prepare to walk. I slapped on some spare flow rims and went tubeless with RaRa's and it seems to pick up speed a lil faster.

mtbr member
    My main reasons for buying this bike.
    1. Commute to work (5 miles not super hilly)
    2. Get stronger. My legs are like big tanks used for sprinting and I want to get more endurance.
    3. Ride singletrack xc/trail and become a better rider.
    1. Commute the crap out of it, preferably finding some gravel trails along the route, asphalt will get boring real quick with a low ratio (I spun 32:16 on a late 90s Hardrock for road, it was stupid).

2. Spin that low gear, spinning may not add muscle mass, but it will keep your joints happy and teach those pesky slow-twitch fibers who the boss is.

3. Concentrating on lines and rolling over everything in the world will help you greatly, best of luck!

4. As has been stated, SS will slowly take over your life.

If you're planning on keeping the Monocog rigid, definitely consider going tubeless. If this is ridden daily you won't have to worry about the sealant just sitting in the tires, and it will improve your comfort measurably.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Best advice I found was to stand on every hill, even if it's minor. You can really do some damage to joints trying to sit and spin in too high of a gear. Train yourself to automatically get out of the saddle and you'll be surprised what you can climb (and how fast you'll climb it).

mtbr member
    Awesome guys thanks for all of the great advice! I ended up buying the bike. The guy didn't want to sell it. He loved the bike. I can already tell that I will love it as well.

Buying a Monocog Flight 29er (first SS) What do I need to know?-img_20130528_230310.jpg
    Buying a Monocog Flight 29er (first SS) What do I need to know?-img_20130528_230329.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I hope you know that that's not a Flight. That's a regular Monocog. 2008 Model Year. Had one just like it. They were $450 new, so hope you didn't pay that much for it.

Fun bikes, though. I love the geo on them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    I hope you know that that's not a Flight. That's a regular Monocog. 2008 Model Year. Had one just like it. They were $450 new, so hope you didn't pay that much for it.

Fun bikes, though. I love the geo on them.
    Ya, I figured out that it was not a flight model. I thought it was when I made the thread because of the BB7s on it but the owner let me know that its just the base model. I got a good deal on it still.

mtbr member
    My $0.02

I ride all trials and have never looked back from buying my Monocog Flight! I came from riding a 2007 Rockhopper with v-brakes and 24 speeds and I can honestly say that I'm a better rider on the 29" wheels and lighter ride even without 23 extra gears!!

I did a ride on Memorial Day that had 1200+/- elevation change and though it kicked my tail, I still had a great time and that was after a day at the local amusement park, pushing a stroller or carrying my 35lb kid on my shoulders!!

Keep it simple, stay single!!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

mtbr member
    Ya, I figured out that it was not a flight model. I thought it was when I made the thread because of the BB7s on it but the owner let me know that its just the base model. I got a good deal on it still.
    If it's got BB-7s, someone upgraded it; even the Flight model comes with BB-5s. That would be the first change I'd make, along with the gearing suggestions already mentioned. My MC Flight is a great bike - bombproof, reasonably light, and a blast to ride. Enjoy your new bike -- and fix that fron QR!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Godless Communist View Post
    If it's got BB-7s, someone upgraded it; even the Flight model comes with BB-5s. That would be the first change I'd make, along with the gearing suggestions already mentioned. My MC Flight is a great bike - bombproof, reasonably light, and a blast to ride. Enjoy your new bike -- and fix that fron QR!
    Yeah he bought the bb7s to upgrade it. I love BB7s when they are set up right.

The front release isn't even tight in the picture i just pulled it out of the trunk and put the front wheel in the dropouts

mtbr member
    Yesterday I got my first trail ride in out at riverside st park. Went riding with my dog and it was a blast. Made it up all the hills but 1. I felt really fast on it. Wish I had some better tires, but I will ride these ones till they wear out.