Just Ride

To buy a monocog or build a jabber from scratch?

So I've been wanting to build up a jabber this coming winter. While fun to build and ride NEXT spring, it'll be costly and I'll have to wait a whole year to really enjoy riding SS. Sure I can convert my current bike and have in the past. But it's not the same as a dedicated SS frame.

I found a LBS that I've never visited before that sells redline bikes. I have yet to go check them out, but everyone in the area says it's a great shop with friendly, helpful, knowledgeable staff.

Now I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off to pick up a monocog and ride that, replacing all the parts as I go until I have the same bike I'd plan to build eventually anyway. Essentially I'd still be building it one piece at a time but I'd be able to ride with the new parts as I get em.

So what say the community here? Should I go this route? Purchase the monocog and replace every single piece on the bike till the only thing left to do is swap out all the parts to a new frame. Or just buy the jabber frame and continue buying parts till I have a complete bike, next spring?
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member

Re: To buy a monocog or build a jabber from scratch?

Monocog. A bird in the hand and all that. Who knows you might like it so much you forget about the jabber
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Another vote for a Monocog. The only original part on mine is the seat post clamp. I love this frame, this bike is now my beater/commuter and I rode the snot out of it all winter. It never missed a beat, while it's not the lightest frame and fork out there it is tough as nails.

To buy a monocog or build a jabber from scratch?-img_3767.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Buy the Monocog and have fun now.

mtbr member
    the Jabberwocky is an awesome bike, but ride what you can now. save up and get a Jabber later and enjoy the MC in the meantime. actually, just ride what ya got.

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    Buy the Monocog and have fun now.
    This is my thinking.

mtbr member
    I have the 04 monocog with the 26'' bmx spaced frame and it's a blast to ride. I don't think it will be leaving anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Not sure what size you are, but I have a 19" Jabber for sale.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If you're set on buying new, or can't find a complete used Jabberwocky in your price range, you may as well get the Monocog and start having fun. I wonder if they'll ride the same, though. The Jabberwocky is a peculiar beast, and you seem pretty set on it. Getting a different bike, you run the risk of either being disappointed in the way the Monocog handles, or completely loving the Monocog and only finding out later that you like it better than the Jabberwocky.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My first 29er also happened to be SS and rigid, and it was a $225 used standard Monocog (v-brakes). I sold my Trek Fuel EX 8 after only a few rides on it. Now, I ride a Jabberwocky and Honzo, but had it not for "upgraditis", I would still be riding that 'Cog.

+1 on getting a Monocog first, but also +1 on looking used.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Deleted
    Last edited by 1SPDBING; 03-15-2014 at 08:17 AM.

Flow like water
    Monocog now. Ride now. Tinker or trade later.

Keep looking if the Jabber still appeals to you, but don't put off a good ride for a possible better ride. A year is a long time. A year of riding is worth a lot.
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPDBING View Post
    If you are going to go with the MC, get the "Flight" model. From Redlines site: "The frame and fork are built of premium grade Japanese Sanko double butted 4130 chromoly tubing. This higher quality of frame tubing builds into a lighter and stronger bike."
    The MSRP difference between the 2 bikes is only 350$. Plus you start out with some components that will get you through a couple seasons on the "flight" version. Or they could be saved and used for the winter season, when you start upgrading.
    Just my 2 cents, ultimately its up to you and the direction you want to go.
    I ride a upgraded 08 Monocog Flight and couldn't ask for more... I love the bike and it plows through everything without a single concern in my mind...

Buy a used Monocog Flight and never look back... I have a thread of when I upgraded everything and powdercoated the bike, you should check it out..

mtbr member
    If you want to get riding now just get a Monocog. Do you have a hardtail or rigid you can convert now? That's also a good idea if you want to get SS'ing now. If you are fine with whatever bike you have now and can wait while you save up for the other bike then that works too.

But I love Monocogs so I say go Monocog. I'm on my second one now and loving it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Monocog now and later. Even with its hefty frame made with scavenged straight gauge galvanized sewage pipes after Hurricane Katrina, the geo is spot on and in my opinion, much better than the Jabber's geo. Get it and ride it now. Next season, you will be that much stronger and experienced. You will also know what to change about the frame itself to make a better decision on the second SS.

Quote Originally Posted by av8trinabarrel View Post
    Not sure what size you are, but I have a 19" Jabber for sale.
    Jabbers never came in 19"--18 or 20.

Just Ride
    I have a Cannondale SL4 Trail right now that I've had a couple years. It's a fine bike. Especially considering my fitness level is non existent. Even at the end of the season I'm huffing and puffing my way down the trail toward the end. Could be the 10 years of smoking I left behind me 5 years ago. So I'm sure my lung capacity is that of a pea. My legs are by far strong enough to pull any climb in the area. Just wish the blood would flow around in my body better! Thinking SS can only help! Eventually.

I had converted my bike early last year to SS, but the chain retention was irritating. I'd like to be able to change gearing easily without having to cut a chain or add links. As there are 2 trails around here that are fun, but require different gearing. One is rather flat so a smaller cog is easily in order. The other has some steep climbs. Short, but steep!

I put the gears back on for group rides mainly with my much slower brother in law. He's a decent rider, just climbs way to slow! He is in LOVE with granny. Following him up a hill is all but impossible on SS. So I needed gears to be able to ride with him. This year, my thoughts are "screw it!" I'll just lead the whole time, he can try and keep up! Oh and the pogo stick fork even locked out wasn't all that great. Still had some bob to it on the climbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Monocog now and later. Even with its hefty frame made with scavenged straight gauge galvanized sewage pipes after Hurricane Katrina, the geo is spot on and in my opinion, much better than the Jabber's geo. Get it and ride it now. Next season, you will be that much stronger and experienced. You will also know what to change about the frame itself to make a better decision on the second SS.

Jabbers never came in 19"--18 or 20.
    My bad. Its 20"

Disabled Vet
    Having owned an '02 Monocog from '02-'11 and loved it,as well as having built up a new Jabber in '11 and loved it.......I have to agree with the general consensus here,a year is a long time without,and the Monocog is a great bike (especially,as mentioned,the Flite). IF IT WERE MY MONEY (stressed that point to show this is just my opninion ),I'd buy the Monocog (base model),and start buying the parts I want/would have bought for a Jabber project,eventually you'll have a complete new build on the Cog,then buy the Jabber frame and swap all the parts over onto it,putting the stock Cog parts back on,then you'll have 2,N + 1,Brother,N + 1. My 2 cents (and only worth just that,LOL)
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Monocog. A bird in the hand and all that. Who knows you might like it so much you forget about the jabber
    Yes, buy and ride now, upgrade as it wears out. Skip the Flight, sliding drop outs are a pita and not needed. The nicer frame tubing is not a deal killer either, buy the Cog and ride.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Sounds like everyone here disagrees with me but I've bought many a bike trying to "create" the bike that I really want. I'd ride what you've got until you can get what you want. If you've been wanting to build up a Jabberwocky and you buy something else to make due you'll probably end up still wanting the Jabberwocky but you'll have about $500 less in your "Vassago account" and you'll still be in the same situation you are now, wanting a bike you don't have.

If you want a steel singlespeed that's one thing but if you've got a particular thing for the Vassago I'd wait and get what you really want.

That's just the totally unbiased opinion of a Jabberwocky owner though... plus building a bike is just more fun.

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker View Post
    Having owned an '02 Monocog from '02-'11 and loved it,as well as having built up a new Jabber in '11 and loved it.......I have to agree with the general consensus here,a year is a long time without,and the Monocog is a great bike (especially,as mentioned,the Flite). IF IT WERE MY MONEY (stressed that point to show this is just my opninion ),I'd buy the Monocog (base model),and start buying the parts I want/would have bought for a Jabber project,eventually you'll have a complete new build on the Cog,then buy the Jabber frame and swap all the parts over onto it,putting the stock Cog parts back on,then you'll have 2,N + 1,Brother,N + 1. My 2 cents (and only worth just that,LOL)
    AH didn't think of having 2 bikes when it's all said and done! Though that is what I would do is replace everything, then get the frame last.

Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
    Sounds like everyone here disagrees with me but I've bought many a bike trying to "create" the bike that I really want. I'd ride what you've got until you can get what you want. If you've been wanting to build up a Jabberwocky and you buy something else to make due you'll probably end up still wanting the Jabberwocky but you'll have about $500 less in your "Vassago account" and you'll still be in the same situation you are now, wanting a bike you don't have.

If you want a steel singlespeed that's one thing but if you've got a particular thing for the Vassago I'd wait and get what you really want.

That's just the totally unbiased opinion of a Jabberwocky owner though... plus building a bike is just more fun.
    Just from what I hear around here the riding "in" the bike sounds appealing to me, but not nearly as important as a steel frame. I've never ridden steel on dirt, at least not more than to get from point A to point B as a kid. But I do like how steel seems to soak up a lot of vibrations. As I can attest to from riding my new to me 20 y/o steel frame road bike.

As others have said, who knows maybe I'll fall in love with the cog and forget all about the jabber? I still plan to upgrade it though.

Robtre
    Currently I am on my second Jabberwocky build. I have owned a Monocog in the past and it was what got me into steel spinglespeed bikes. I have yet been able to duplicate the feel of a monocog. Its a great bike spot on geometry. Maybe buy a stocker, and upgrade the parts? Best of both worlds? The frames are really drastically different. It really depends on your riding style. Building bikes is addicting, and never going to be the cost efficient route to go.
    -rides bikes for fun.

Just Ride
    Next saturday I'm planning to take a look at a 2011 someone has for $275. It's got the rim brakes and looks pretty well stock form the photos. About an hour drive, but there is trail near where they live so I can get a feel for it in it's natural environment! Plus it's half the cost of a new one!

HOV
    mtbr member

Re: To buy a monocog or build a jabber from scratch?

I've had a MC Flight and currently ride a Jabberwocky. IMO, they're actually pretty close rides. Can't go wrong with either, but in your situation there's one bike that will get you riding sooner....

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Just Ride
    I have a bike, 2 actually. But there is one that will get me SSing sooner!