mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Busted my rear spot axle...

I snapped my axle and am now without a SS rear wheel.
    My frame is an old Brodie Unabomber, horizontal dropouts, so no qr hubs. My understanding is that the qr isn't strong enough to hold the wheel.

If Spot can't fix my hub, any suggestions on a new wheel? CHEAP????
    The frame is a 135mm spacing, so that's the good news.

Thanks for the advice.
    Pete

Steamroller

It should be fixable

Quote Originally Posted by pedalpete
    I snapped my axle and am now without a SS rear wheel.
    My frame is an old Brodie Unabomber, horizontal dropouts, so no qr hubs. My understanding is that the qr isn't strong enough to hold the wheel.

If Spot can't fix my hub, any suggestions on a new wheel? CHEAP????
    The frame is a 135mm spacing, so that's the good news.

Thanks for the advice.
    Pete
    Axles are easily replaceable and most any shop should have one in stock. Also a QR skewer is usable if you run an appropriate chain tug like a Surly Tuggnutt. The chain tug will prevent the wheel from slipping forward under load. I like to use one with bolt on axles too. The nice thing about the Surly is that it come with a special washer intended for use with a QR axle. You probably would only need one for the drive side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Same bike, same problem, happened to 2 of us. Call Spot, they'll send you a new axle.

The problem with mine was that Brodie included chain tugs (similar to the one pictured) and that didnot allow the bolt to go in far enough, so the axle broke at the thin part right where the bolt ended. They said the solution was not to use the chain tugs - both have been trouble free since (3 years). Or you can use a longer bolt with the chain tugs (if you must). As a last resort, they can also supply a stainless steel axle for those that are extra abusive on bikes.

Cheers,

Tom

Inrideo est vita
    Some of the Spot axles are not quite long enough to give decent structural strength when using a QR. I think it's a bit sketchy with tugs.
    Anyway I snapped my axle using a QR (after 1 month riding) & Spot sent me a replacement. I rebuilt it and sold it to a freind, he destroyed the bearings within another month.
    I don't think too much of Spot hubs.
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

I just heard back from Spot...

They're gonna replace the axle for me with a steel one, and only $10.

I'm not sure why the local shop guys thought it would be so difficult, but after 8 years of use, a $10 repair sounds pretty good to me.

NedwannaB

Don't say that!...

Quote Originally Posted by SSteel
    I don't think too much of Spot hubs.
    ..I just got back from lbs with my new wheel!! SPOT came highly recomended (behind Phil & Chris' ofcourse....) At least the customer service sounds great....

New rr disc setup to go on my B.C.C. (broken collar bone club) rehab project.
    Last edited by JMac47; 03-29-2006 at 08:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Question for Mattman

don't mean to jack the thread, but I have an OT question for Mattman.

what kind of chain is that? all half-lengths? seems like it may wear the cogs and chainrings less because of the better chain wrap.

just curious,
    rich

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    Axles are easily replaceable and most any shop should have one in stock. Also a QR skewer is usable if you run an appropriate chain tug like a Surly Tuggnutt. The chain tug will prevent the wheel from slipping forward under load. I like to use one with bolt on axles too. The nice thing about the Surly is that it come with a special washer intended for use with a QR axle. You probably would only need one for the drive side.
    sorry for the hi-jack but, Mattman (or anyone else who knows), is that shadow chain compatible with 9sp cassette cogs and chainrings?

Steamroller

Shadow Conspiracy Interlock chain

Quote Originally Posted by comsense
    don't mean to jack the thread, but I have an OT question for Mattman.

what kind of chain is that? all half-lengths? seems like it may wear the cogs and chainrings less because of the better chain wrap.

just curious,
    rich
    It's available from Dan's Comp for about $29. It has great cool factor, it's very adjustable, and it's very strong. It is also a pain to shorten, it's on the expensive side and weighs a full pound uncut (I removed just one link). If you get one, believe what the instructions say and don't try to shorten it without the recommended tool, you may ruin your day, not to mention your tool or the chain.

http://www.danscomp.com/ Innovative half link design helps prevent damage to side plates. Nearly twice as strong as a conventional chain. 1/8" (16.0 oz) Park CT-7 chain breaker recommended.

mtbr member
    Hi Mattman,
    What kind of chain are you using on this bike ? Seems perfect when you need a half-link....
    Looking for cheap Chris king or Syncros 1", threaded headset, Mary or Mungo bars, ENO eccentric Hub...

Steamroller

Look up, it's a shadow interlock

Quote Originally Posted by fanzy38
    Hi Mattman,
    What kind of chain are you using on this bike ? Seems perfect when you need a half-link....
    The details are a few messages up in the thread.

Whatever! Just crash it!
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalpete
    They're gonna replace the axle for me with a steel one, and only $10.

I'm not sure why the local shop guys thought it would be so difficult, but after 8 years of use, a $10 repair sounds pretty good to me.
    The good thing is that the axle will be stronger too. They've switched from aluminum axles to stainless steel because they've had so many breakage problems. My axle arrived in 5 days and after a 20 minute install process, it was ready to roll. I haven't looked back.

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events