Thread: Burning BB's

elbow gloves

Burning BB's

I've had my unit for 6 months now and have just burned up my second BB. I've ridden this bike a lot but not enough to do this kind of carnage. The BB feels like it is just melted inside then hardened up. Both BB's have been raceface (ISIS type). The only thing i can think of is relating to the sliding dropout issue I have been having with the Unit, which is that it slides at the wrong times, putting either too much or too little tension on the chain. Is it possible that having the chain too tight is putting an additional load on the BB causing it to have these problems?

Any reccomendations on a good Isis BB?
    I would really like to throw down for the White Industry's cranks and Phil BB but they are a bit out of my reach at the moment.

King Pin

Wink Mmmmmmm.....

Isis.

Not meaning to harsh your Isis buzz or anything, but I'm 6'5" and 218lbs. ENO cranks on four of five bikes now, with UN-52 (cheeeeeeeeeaaap Shizmano) bottom brackets on three of 'em.....UN-73 on the other.

I have tried for nigh on twenty five years to kill a square taper bottom bracket, to no avail! Even the plastic "non-fixed" left side of the UN-52 doesn't break! I have a UN-72 on my '91 Stumpy that came with the bike! Thousands and thousands of miles.

I guess I'm saying just say NO to Isis. My .02 cents. No *need* for a Phil BB at this stage in your game....get some Stylo's/older XT's/ENO cranks and rock on!

Quote Originally Posted by kinkcrazy
    I've had my unit for 6 months now and have just burned up my second BB. I've ridden this bike a lot but not enough to do this kind of carnage. The BB feels like it is just melted inside then hardened up. Both BB's have been raceface (ISIS type). The only thing i can think of is relating to the sliding dropout issue I have been having with the Unit, which is that it slides at the wrong times, putting either too much or too little tension on the chain. Is it possible that having the chain too tight is putting an additional load on the BB causing it to have these problems?

I would really like to throw down for the White Industry's cranks and Phil BB but they are a bit out of my reach at the moment.

elbow gloves
    No worries about being harsh, I'm coming to the reality that Isis pretty much sucks. In thinking about it, i've burned up 6 times as many Isis BB's (owned 6 burned 5) as I have square taper (owned 1 and still turning) go figure. How's the weather in Prezzkitt? they've still got the oven on broil down here in Tucson.

Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Isis.

Not meaning to harsh your Isis buzz or anything, but I'm 6'5" and 218lbs. ENO cranks on four of five bikes now, with UN-52 (cheeeeeeeeeaaap Shizmano) bottom brackets on three of 'em.....UN-73 on the other.

I have tried for nigh on twenty five years to kill a square taper bottom bracket, to no avail! Even the plastic "non-fixed" left side of the UN-52 doesn't break! I have a UN-72 on my '91 Stumpy that came with the bike! Thousands and thousands of miles.

I guess I'm saying just say NO to Isis. My .02 cents. No *need* for a Phil BB at this stage in your game....get some Stylo's/older XT's/ENO cranks and rock on!

"Mr. Britannica"

FSA platinum

King Pin

Bonking ... not feelin' well 100f

We actually hit one hundred yesterday and day prior.

Go square taper....all the way. ENO too, when you have the fundage!

No worries about being harsh, I'm coming to the reality that Isis pretty much sucks. In thinking about it, i've burned up 6 times as many Isis BB's (owned 6 burned 5) as I have square taper (owned 1 and still turning) go figure. How's the weather in Prezzkitt? they've still got the oven on broil down here in Tucson.

mtbr member

I've been using a Gigapipe SL for ~6 months on my Unit. No signs of failure yet, riding 4000 miles/year and with abusive climbs.

The sliding dropouts make no difference to BB wear, torque from hard pedaling produces forces that far exceed any chain preload.

The sliding dropouts were a problem for me, until I got hex head bolts to replace Kona's allen bolts. Now I tighten with a socket wrench. It does not slip.

Drinkin' Buddy

2nd for the FSA Platinum Pro

My first ISIS BB was a Race Face signature one i bought when I got my vulture more that two years ago. And it blew out in two months. Totally disintegrated the bearings after just two months in the wet and mud under my 200# body. I then went to the FSA Platinum and have been much happier. I replaced it with another one in January or February this year after it got crunchy.
    That being said...
    I think that the square tapers have much better bearings and are good for thousands more miles than any ISIS out there. I just happened to buy all the bits for my bike when the ISIS hype was strong and I fell for it. Now I have the cranks so I am less likely to do the full swap back to square taper. I f I was to do it again, I would go for the profile-style 48 spline cranks mated to the FSA X-Drive BB (I think)
    Got Beer?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! good boy blowout

Quote Originally Posted by Blowout
    My first ISIS BB was a Race Face signature one i bought when I got my vulture more that two years ago. And it blew out in two months. Totally disintegrated the bearings after just two months in the wet and mud under my 200# body. I then went to the FSA Platinum and have been much happier. I replaced it with another one in January or February this year after it got crunchy.
    That being said...
    I think that the square tapers have much better bearings and are good for thousands more miles than any ISIS out there. I just happened to buy all the bits for my bike when the ISIS hype was strong and I fell for it. Now I have the cranks so I am less likely to do the full swap back to square taper. I f I was to do it again, I would go for the profile-style 48 spline cranks mated to the FSA X-Drive BB (I think)
    Well Kyle I havn't head the fsa profile BB long, but hoping it is good, other wise you should get your next bike made with a big old american BB, big huge bearings.
    We should get some ice cream for watching the races at the velodrome tomorrow, I picked a big container of huckle berries, and I tried some with vannilla ice cream, yummy!!
    I told your mom I wasn't going to make it tonight, didn't feel like the drive, and I'm still recovering