mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Building 1st SS - suggestions

Bought a used Ti Motobecane frame on CL to build a SS. Looking for suggestions on how to build it up. Drivetrain, Wheel, etcs, I'm 185lbs. This will be my 1st SS mtb. Any help appreciated. budget about 1K-1.5K

Now broadcasting from CO
    I prefer a cheap and durable drivetrain over anything fancy; Salsa chainring and Surly cog with a SRAM 8 speed chain (SS specific chains such as the SRAM PC-1 seem unnecessary to me since you can get a 8 speed chain for approx. $10). My crankset is just an old XT with a Salsa toothfairy bashguard. I like bashguards, but they may not be necessary depending on the terrain you ride in. If you have the budget, I would spring for some wheels with fast engaging hubs such as Chris King or the Hope SS/Trails (Hope's are cheaper and just as nice IMO). Rims are up to you, but Stan's Arches are always nice and durable, and the new Arch EXs look sweet with their wider rims.

Good luck and post pics when you're done!
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFes View Post
    Bought a used Ti Motobecane frame on CL to build a SS. Looking for suggestions on how to build it up. Drivetrain, Wheel, etcs, I'm 185lbs. This will be my 1st SS mtb. Any help appreciated. budget about 1K-1.5K
    How long have you been riding? If it hasn't been a while, then you're not really going to have preference for parts one way or the other, in which case I'd recommend just selling the frame and buying a pre-built bike, as it'll be a lot cheaper that way.

President of the Internet
    You're gonna get a million different answers from ppl with different opinions. Get a Surley Cog, and SRAM 8 speed chain and a decent crankset and you'll be fine.

Any of the mid to upper crankset offerings from the major manufactures will do - just depends on the bling factor. Truvativ and Raceface sell SS specific cranksets but they are just a tripple with single ring and bash. The Truvativ Stylo 1.1 looks nice to me. I have the Raceface Evolve SS. Its ok, kinda wish i bought something better in hindsignt.

Any wheelset should do. I have the Easton XC One SS wheetset and like it very much. $265 and only ~1600 grams.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

Apr 2007
    Build it up like you would any other bike, sans gears. SS-specific parts would be chainring, cog, spacers and tensioner (if necessary).

To get more specific on what parts to get, it's really your personal preference, but I would go with something like Stan's Arch or Flow GEARED wheelset ($5-600), slx cranks ($125 at jensonusa.com, then sell the rings and you'll be in it for less than $100), HBC ring and cog(s), SRAM 8 or 9sp chain, spacer kit for the rear hub (or if you're cheap like me, 1.25" PVC pipe works), tensioner of your choice (unless magic gear works for you), and a fork/tires/headset/etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    A couple of things I really like on a singlespeed:
    1. Bar ends (I like the extra leverage for climbing.)
    2. Fox Terralogic forks.

EXORCIZE
    Truvativ Stylo 1.1 crank (standard version, or "OCT" version if budget permits). Or XT if found nicely discounted.

Surley cog (or Chris King if budget permits)

KMC Z610HX chain
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    slx cranks, random cog, heavy chain

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Skip the heavy chain. A SRAM 8 speed is perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Skip the heavy chain. A SRAM 8 speed is perfect.
    i take it you've never broken a chain?

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the kraken View Post
    Sounds like you need to do some research.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    ok boss lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ^ This.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by the kraken View Post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building 1st SS - suggestions-implied-facepalm.jpg  

Beer is my spirit animal
    Kraken, dude, we get it. You broke a chain and messed up your knee. It's gonna be a real long day, though, if I go into every thread in this forum and your only response to the topic is "I take it you've never broken a chain?" Understand that lots of people have run 8 speed chains on their singlespeeds without any problems. That's not to say you're wrong in using 1/8" chains, it just means different strokes for different folks. Or perhaps different pins for different spins. And p nut and AZ, I would pos rep you but I have to wait for someone else to say something intelligent or funny before I can give ya'all any more love. It is gonna be a long day.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    They make 8spd chains better now? I broke 2 8spd chains when 8spd was as high as you could go. One of the reasons I never went 9 speed. The second time was with a triple clamp fork under power. very hard on the knee.
    2011 Kona unit with some carbon.

Beer is my spirit animal
    Quote Originally Posted by k29er View Post
    They make 8spd chains better now? I broke 2 8spd chains when 8spd was as high as you could go. One of the reasons I never went 9 speed. The second time was with a triple clamp fork under power. very hard on the knee.
    Please refer to the post directly above your own. Thank you.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Widgeontrail got it right. This is almost a Ford/Chevy debate. That being said, here's a few things that have worked well for me. Used XT cranks (ebay/craigslist $100ish) a SRAM 8 spd chain (worth it) Surly Cog, or depending on your budget and the wheelset you end up with, a White industries freewheel..when you hold it you won't regret it. I've always had luck on craigslist with thomson posts and stems on craigslist. I think its kinda self defeating to buy a bunch of cheap stuff on the outset just to replace it with quality stuff later. Just my opinion. Happy building!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would just get a set of Deore cranks off ebay. I got one for less than $30 (without the chainrings). Bottom bracket doesn't really matter that much with the exception that square taper tends to be a little flexy (to me anyway). I think octalink/isis and external bearing type BB are much stiffer and provide a better overall ride/feel (just my opinion).

I would invest in a surly cog and chainring. They are great quality and reasonably priced.

As far as chains go, it doesn't matter at all. Buy whatever chain you want. You're probably not going to break any of them.

mtbr member
    I have had my LX External bearing crank in 3 SS frames. It has been very reliable. I also run a Surly Stainless steel chainring and a White Industries freewheel with a KMC 1/8"
    chain. It's a nice steel petty much bombproof drive train.