Cyclist

build a ss frame with american size bb shell?

and thus use the much larger bb (used in bmx) such as a Profile Racing set up or something? Anyone done this? Just thinking out loud.

Would you get a much stronger set up?

ISIS melted
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker
    and thus use the much larger bb (used in bmx) such as a Profile Racing set up or something? Anyone done this? Just thinking out loud.

ISIS melted
    Did you have problems with square-taper cranks? I never have so I'm sticking with that.

mtbr member
    what kind of problem are you trying to solve? bigger bearings? you can get profiles with euro cups.

mtbr member

I have a few shells from when I built some 26"

[wheeled BMX bikes, Profile cranks are cool and the larger bearings for the AmBB makes toughness for sure(and weight) Maybe overkill for singletracking
    cheers, Wade

What the Crap?!

i'm in the proces too...

Quote Originally Posted by vulture
    [wheeled BMX bikes, Profile cranks are cool and the larger bearings for the AmBB makes toughness for sure(and weight) Maybe overkill for singletracking
    cheers, Wade
    i'm doing a 26" bmx for my new project bike. are all the bmx shells the same size? mine has a 1 piece crank, and i'm wanting to get a 3 piece can i work it? also do you know where to get a good deal on bmx cranks? thanks.

matt

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    what kind of problem are you trying to solve? bigger bearings? you can get profiles with euro cups.
    I trash the euro BB bearing in a year or less (I have always been hard on BBs for some reason. 2-3 a year). The BMX BB bearings are much bigger and cheaper to replace. The Profile Evolution BB is pretty cool, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    I trash the euro BB bearing in a year or less (I have always been hard on BBs for some reason. 2-3 a year). The BMX BB bearings are much bigger and cheaper to replace. The Profile Evolution BB is pretty cool, too.

I was looking at the Evolution when I thought about it. The BMX bearings are huge! I run Euro Profiles now and I've already crapped a bearing within a month (although it was my first install so I'm not blaming anyone) I'm taking it apart this weekend. I firmly believe SS is way harder on BB's. I'm totally not a weight weenie and don't mind the weight. At this point, I'll stick with my Euro Profile for a while and see how it holds up.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

Ron
    mtbr member

Texas Fireman's Cruzer

Quote Originally Posted by striker

ISIS melted
    You may wanna check out a Texas Fireman's Cruzer. They are a little shop in Austin, Texas. Frames are made in Cali. Address is http://www.firemansbikes.com/. Kinda heavy but bomb proof with an American style BB. Not to expensive either I might add.