mtbr member
    Aug 2010

broken seatpost in or out...?

So reading the thread about standing and climbing on a SS there were a couple of posts about racers breaking posts and riding on, it got me thinking...

I'm amazed that so many people would take a broken seat post out, Like sParty said in the previous thread, you need your seat post to control the bike through technical sections and downhills, short of having a jagged sharp seat post that could impale you, i'd think having the mounting bracket (say if a bolts sheered which would be the most common failure) would be a better way to ride. you could rest on it with your thigh, and still use it to control the bike to some extent between your legs when descending.

Now, I've been fortunate enough to never have completely broken a seat post in 17 yrs of riding... (knocks very vigorously on all wood surfaces within reach).

Thoughts? what would you do and why? take it out or leave it in?

openwound
    I'd take it out. While I know what you're saying about using the thigh against the saddle, or in the case a bare post, there's no way I'd want a bare post around my boys while riding.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild
    I'd take it out. While I know what you're saying about using the thigh against the saddle, or in the case a bare post, there's no way I'd want a bare post around my boys while riding.
    ditto!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild
    That's why I pulled the post. If I'd crashed again, who knows where the end of that saddle-less seatpost might have wound up.

That said, if I'd been carrying an extra vest or jacket plus a large zip-tie, I might have wrapped the garment around the top of the post, secured it with the zip-tie and ridden the bike that way. Whenever you've been standing for miles, any little relief is welcomed.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    This chick (Very cool and a good friend of mine) took quite a nice little ride without one.
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

Members who have read this thread: 0