Thread: Breck Epic beta

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Breck Epic beta

I am looking for some first hand experience with the course(s), and what sort of gearing is used, and how technical the riding is. If anybody has any information it would be very appreciated, even if it is from a geared POV. Thanks, Ryon
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I did it last year & used 32X21, it seemed a lot of the SS'ers used that gear...well at least the folks from the Eastern half of the US. Most of the course isn't very technical, but there are a couple parts on the Wheeler Pass descent & a descent on a section of the Colorado Trail that were rocky & technical. There is no doubt about it there is a good bit of hiking involved if you race SS. Hell the climb up to Wheeler Pass had most of the geared guys hiking as well.

Category Winner
    DAHN PAHRS!!!

Anyways...

This will be my fifth year. I'm also an East Coaster, I've tried a few different gears, and I'll stick with 32X20. I'm on the smaller side and have a hard time working with anything bigger in the back. That said, I'll either be 38X23 or 24 this year which is like 32X19.5 or 32X20.5.

Like DJP said, not too technical for the most part. I've pinch flatted two outta the four years coming down Little French Gulch, seen a friend break his hip on the techiest part of the descent off Wheeler, and had a serious "Oh ****!!" moment last year.

Lotsa climbing, and with that, lots of descending from fireroad stupid fast to chunky piles of loose rocks where you don't wanna get caught napping.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    DAHN PAHRS!!!

Anyways...

This will be my fifth year. I'm also an East Coaster, I've tried a few different gears, and I'll stick with 32X20. I'm on the smaller side and have a hard time working with anything bigger in the back. That said, I'll either be 38X23 or 24 this year which is like 32X19.5 or 32X20.5.

Like DJP said, not too technical for the most part. I've pinch flatted two outta the four years coming down Little French Gulch, seen a friend break his hip on the techiest part of the descent off Wheeler, and had a serious "Oh ****!!" moment last year.

Lotsa climbing, and with that, lots of descending from fireroad stupid fast to chunky piles of loose rocks where you don't wanna get caught napping.
    Were you riding rigid?

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Were you riding rigid?
    Every year, but that's generally how I roll.

Expect DJP to chime in that some dude named Diurba crushed me going down Gold Dust on a Fargo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'll let you relay that message yourself. But I will point out that I beat Dickey by 4 hours & 40 minutes last year. Dickey will then say he was riding at Peter speed. I will then reply that he never came close to my time of 24:14:56 in any of the years he did the Breck Epic.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by DJP412 View Post
    I'll let you relay that message yourself. But I will point out that I beat Dickey by 4 hours & 40 minutes last year. Dickey will then say he was riding at Peter speed. I will then reply that he never came close to my time of 24:14:56 in any of the years he did the Breck Epic.
    And I would reply that the stages have been longer in the past. It's okay that you did the easy year. Pat yourself on the back.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    butryon, this back & forth banter is some "first hand experience" in what it was like to share a 4 bedroom condo with 13 racers while at the Breck Epic. Highly recommend that route!

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by DJP412 View Post
    Highly recommend that route!
    Second that (says the guy who already booked his 5-6 person condo 1/4 mile from the hockey rink)

I will miss watching the post-race review on STRAVA every night.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Dirty South Underdog
    I beat Dicky last last year, also. I ran 32x21.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    I beat Dicky last last year, also. I ran 32x21.
    You beat my partner... and thusly me. I will shed that dead weight this year.

This little bird will fly again.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM