mtbr member

Brake Issues: Spot Longboard

Riding buddy just picked up a new to him Spot Longboard 29er, 2009 (pale blue and tan). Great bike, he got it for a steal. He's 6'2", ~200lb, a recovering roadie so he's decently strong.

Any time on any trail, if he grabs the rear brake, the disc side axle slides rearward and the tire jams on the frame. No matter how tight we get the QR it does it. The tensioners on there only keep the axle from moving forward (the the drive side stays put), so they don't help.

Any thoughts/ideas? I'm sure this isn't isolated spot, but I've never had rear enty drops and discs.

Thanks
    Rob

mtbr member
    Chain tugs on both sides?
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035
    Riding buddy just picked up a new to him Spot Longboard 29er, 2009 (pale blue and tan). Great bike, he got it for a steal. He's 6'2", ~200lb, a recovering roadie so he's decently strong.

Any time on any trail, if he grabs the rear brake, the disc side axle slides rearward and the tire jams on the frame. No matter how tight we get the QR it does it. The tensioners on there only keep the axle from moving forward (the the drive side stays put), so they don't help.

Any thoughts/ideas? I'm sure this isn't isolated spot, but I've never had rear enty drops and discs.

Thanks
    Rob
    What kind of QR is it? If it's anything but Shimano, try switching to Shimano. Then get 'er good 'n tight. If it's already a Shimano QR, I'm at at a loss. As you point out, there's no such thing as a reverse chain tug.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

talentless hack
    If he can't get a good quality QR to work, he could try switching to a nutted axle. It's probably easier said than done but should work.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the thoughts...

Chain tugs on both sides. The skewer is a relatively new Salsa, but we have an XT set to try, as well as another wheelset with a bolt-on hub to try as well.

talentless hack
    Just had a thought: if you have a chain tug on the brake side, maybe try removing it? Perhaps the tug is not allowing the skewer to really bite down on the dropout. In other words, the flat side of the tug might be slipping against the flat dropout. Remove the tug and let the knurled part of the skewer really bite into the dropout. Perhaps that will help.

mtbr member
    Rob, is this a belt drive?
    If the bike still has the Spot Rocket chain tensioners on it you need to throw those as far away as possible. They are crap. Get yourself the Surly Tug Nuts. Then you need to tighten the QR a tight as possible. I used to have to put a glove on so I could get an extra turn on the thing. Pain in the ass but once you get the alignment right and the QR as tight as possible it should stay.

Not dead yet, just playin
    If he wants to stick with a QR hub, I've had good luck with these:

BUT, take the aluminum "nut" side off and throw it away. Thats the bit that strips when you really put the beans into tightening it. Replace it with the steel one from any cheap QR and go to town..also dab a little grease under the bolt head so it doesn't bind on the aluminum part on that side.

op
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Removing the brake side tensioner seems to have helped a lot, at least on a quick ride around the neighborhood. A trail ride will be the real test