Thread: Brake for Fixie

Fat Boy Deluxe

New question here. Brake for Fixie

Ok, so here's the deal. I have one of those Tektro cross brakes to put on my Pista. Now I know it won't fit on the bigger part of the bars where it would be more comfortable unless you really press it on, problem is - the screw is too short to reach now. I'm guessing I can pick that up at the hardware store.

My big issue is that I also have a Shimano 105 rear brake that I wanted to use on the front. I tried to install it, but the 5mm metal casing that the screw goes into isn't long enough so the screw doesn't quite reach it and won't screw in. So is my only choice to buy a front brake or can I buy just the 5mm casing a little longer? I called the LBS and they just said a rear won't work on the front, but honestly other than that piece I can't tell the difference.

Any ideas?

DT

Fat Boy Deluxe

pics

Here are some pics of what I'm talking about :

DT

Fight the Kakistocracy!

get the longer brake nut

Quote Originally Posted by DmofoT
    Ok, so here's the deal. I have one of those Tektro cross brakes to put on my Pista. Now I know it won't fit on the bigger part of the bars where it would be more comfortable unless you really press it on, problem is - the screw is too short to reach now. I'm guessing I can pick that up at the hardware store.

My big issue is that I also have a Shimano 105 rear brake that I wanted to use on the front. I tried to install it, but the 5mm metal casing that the screw goes into isn't long enough so the screw doesn't quite reach it and won't screw in. So is my only choice to buy a front brake or can I buy just the 5mm casing a little longer? I called the LBS and they just said a rear won't work on the front, but honestly other than that piece I can't tell the difference.

Any ideas?

DT
    I don't think it would be a problem, the thing you need to remember is that you swap the brake pads if they are cartridge. The longer nut should be available for a few bucks. You probably just got a newbie at the shop, I have put longer nuts on some carbon road forks. Good luck, and enjoy the pista!

Scott
    veelz

Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had the same problem with my pista. I ran a Tektro lever with a Shimano RSX100 front brake. I ended up clamping the lever on closer to the outside after the bulge - just unwrap the bar tape a little. I used some spacers behind the fork to mount the brake, since the post was a little long, as you discovered.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    yep, you can get a longer nut to use on the rear-brake-as-a-front-brake. if the shop guys say no, ask them to let you look at the qbp catologue, then shoe it to them after you find it.

not sure about the levers, but a new metric bolt from a LHS should only run a little $. looks like it needs just a bit longer. take it to the LHS/LBS with you, so you can be sure to get on that is long enough.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper