Jabberwocky Jockey

Boy meets bike, boy falls in love, boy goes into debt...

Ok, here's the story.
    I have been looking longingly at Dean frames for some time now and my desire for one was slowly building until the 24 Hours of Pisgah where I saw Team Dickey's Dean in person. OMG!
    I didn't need that kind of temptation. A few days later, I called Dean and we talked and I priced a frame like I wanted and left it at that.
    A few days after that, I log on to MTBR and the singlespeed forum (as I do every day) and I see a spam post for......................wait for it.......................

a Dean.

Not just a Dean but a Dean exactly the size and way I wanted (ebb, Breezer drops, brushed finish). It gets better. I email the seller (Thanks Endomaniac!) and find out he is 90 miles away.
    I'll be damned. I seal the deal and pick up the frame on my way to the 24HOA in Conyers last w/e. It was torture looking at the frame all w/e but I made it ok. I got home and sadly (well not to sadly) disassembled the Haro and began building the Dean. It will still be a week or so before I get it on the trail (I am building a new set of wheels for it and I ordered new frame decals). I can't wait.
    Here's a few pics:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Ooooooooooooooooo

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Poor Haro sits naked in the background
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

shiny side up
    That's kinda pretty. Keep us posted.

Category Winner

Nice

I guess I am sorry, or am I not sorry? I keep staring at other bikes out there, but I really love the way my Dean rides. I have never been happier. I have let some really nice rides go in the past (Santa Cruz, Ellsworth, Spicer...) but I just don't see myself ever parting ways with my Dean.
    Back in 1999 I broke my Amp B4 and decided I wanted to be an angry old man on a hardtail the rest of my life so I bought a Titus HCR. That idea only lasted a couple of months before I bought a Bullit. I ran the gambit on free ride and light FS race bikes for years, but there was no more fighting my inner angry old man. My Dean just fits the bill no matter where I go. I realize my Dean isn't totally retro, but I wanted it to be as maintainence free as possible(discs and UST's).
    Although I stare at 29'ers and FS bikes from time to time I have to remind myself that I already have a bike. I realized that the only reason I am looking is just the "American" in me looking for the next best thing, and feeling like I must be missing out on something if I don't buy something new. I know I might enjoy more comfort, or speed, or maybe even temporarily satisfy my consumer lust, but that wasn't what brought me to SS'ing in the first place.
    You'll dig the ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

I'm how far behind?

Nice ride

Is that the DEAN fork as well? All those forks look the same to me. FWIW, anyone who is looking there is a similer 29er on ebay closing in the next 24 hours. EBB, 17", bidding is around 750 right now. I had to go and look at my bike this morning to make sure I still had a bike when I saw the ad, looks just like mine

jim
    Fatter than most.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Funny, I had just put a brand new sticker kit on the bike to help it look better for the ad.
    $25 for nothing

Hope you enjoy it; I loved it until I learned the secret of 29"

Expert Pushing SSer
    Nice build. It was worse for me....much worse. Boy saw Dean at a race in the early 90s. Boy has bike stolen in 2002. Boy gets cash to fund new bike. Boy buys geared Dean. Boy contemplates selling his Dean to fund a SS. Searchs the MTBR ads to find Aosty's (which was KAM's) Vulturized Dean (steel) ebb SS. Now I have 2 Deans. Crap. Yet the geared bike sits in the basement with its middle finger up high everytime I enter the basement and grab the SS.
    Tuff Schist

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! Boy sees bike, my story...

boy falls in love with bike, boy buys bike, boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, (a few years and bikes pass through their lives), boy proposes to girl, girl says yes, boy marries girl, boy's girl buys him this. Man do I love her, oh, yeah and the wife too, I love her I mean.. Hee-Hee-Hee. Not the Titanium wonderbike I hoped for, but still, gotta love a woman who supports riding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

byklvr

We the people ... Actually that's the interview he did...

Quote Originally Posted by travistheone
    obi.. somthing looks terribly wrong with your surly, is that a 130mm fork, you have a very tall fork on that bike. how does it handle in the tight stuff. is that a 16 or and 18 frame?
    Actually that's the interview he did on me. He didn't edit it totally right. The missing part was:

..he just, literally just finished that build up. It's a Talas that gets run either at 80 or 100mm. The excess steerer tube length was the first thing to get corrected. And for the last questions it is a XS(14") so yeah, everything looks bigger on it. But it's a fun toy so far.

It handles ok for the straight/mellow stuff, but due to being in the vincinity of OBI and his now
    NOTORIOUS FLU BUG, I haven't had the chance to take it on the trails. I'm shooting for Joaquin Miller Park tomorrow to see about the tight stuff. I'll let you know though.

Trail rider and racer
    Lovely frame - and debts no big a deal when you got that lovely steed to ride!
    Trev!

Jabberwocky Jockey

Update - It's Finished!

With two 24 hour races and a 12 hour race in the last six weeks, I have been kinda preoccupied and not able to finish the Dean as quickly as I wanted. I basically cannibalized my Haro except for the wheels. I built a new set around Hope hubs and Mavic 717 rims.
    Well, here it is:

Any buyers remorse I may have had (actually I had none) certainly disappeared 22 seconds into the first ride. Damn this thing is nice.
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Duck
    With two 24 hour races and a 12 hour race in the last six weeks, I have been kinda preoccupied and not able to finish the Dean as quickly as I wanted. I basically cannibalized my Haro except for the wheels. I built a new set around Hope hubs and Mavic 717 rims.
    Well, here it is:

Any buyers remorse I may have had (actually I had none) certainly disappeared 22 seconds into the first ride. Damn this thing is nice.
    Lovely stuff!
    Trev!

Members who have read this thread: 0