mtbr member

Bottom feeder here: which one ... Gravity G29, Nashbar SS 29, Bulls Eye 29 Disc,

Or possibly the Motobecane Outcast 29 Disc if I could find a 18 or 19".

Any other suggestions <$500 ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Oh, come on, guys! I want to see the answers, too. OP, how about the redline monocog? Good reviews on that one across the board.

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    Nashbar. Totally. An absolutely fabulous machine, especially if you make some upgrades like i did. out of the box it is quite capable .

Check out my pics in my gallery. Carbon fork, bar, post, and luscious BWW wheels. This bike flys.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akaHector View Post
    Oh, come on, guys! I want to see the answers, too. OP, how about the redline monocog? Good reviews on that one across the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGABIGD View Post
    Nashbar. Totally. An absolutely fabulous machine, especially if you make some upgrades like i did. out of the box it is quite capable .

Check out my pics in my gallery. Carbon fork, bar, post, and luscious BWW wheels. This bike flys.
    Good start

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    a gently used monocog rits into that price range... thats what i started on. sold it to fund my jamis dragon ss and i loved my mono so much i just bought another to be my dedicated fixed gear mtn bike!
    '09 Jamis Dragon One "one gear, one brake lever, lots of carbon and steel."

MYSINGLESPEED.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the5ifty View Post
    a gently used monocog rits into that price range... thats what i started on. sold it to fund my jamis dragon ss and i loved my mono so much i just bought another to be my dedicated fixed gear mtn bike!
    I still have my monocog (first MTB). I've heard this same song so many times where they sold it then missed it do bad they bought another... As much as I could use the 4-500 bucks I could probably get for it I will not sell the 'Cog!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    To ZmyDust and the5ifty:

What is it about that particular bike that you love so much? The general consensus is that people have one, then "upgrade" to something else for whatever reason, only to realize that they haven't got anything better than that old steel singlespeed.

Is it the steel frame? Geometry? Good memories associated with a first bike? I have heard that sentiment so much that I am seriously considering a Monocog as my next bike purchase. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Well, I personally bought a a nice aluminum geared HT as my upgrade after riding the Cog for a year. I did so because I wanted gears and I felt like a little bit of plush could take me a bit further. I love my new HT and might have a hard time saying I prefer either one of them over the other. I like that they are both extremely capable and on opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of riding experience.

The steel is great. Feels a bit More forgiven than aluminum would be on a rigid.
    I
    Somebody told me the Monocog was voted the best "Backup Bike" you could have in your garage. Not sure if it's true but I get it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Z, thanks for the response. I can definitely see the appeal of a more forgiving frame material for a rigid ride. When I go rigid on my rockhopper, the bumps and trail chatter hit me pretty hard. Of course, that's a 26er, too, so that is part of the equation.

For you guys riding the Nashbar, does the steel fork absorb some of the impacts? Or is that more a function of the big wheels?