mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Bottom Bracket Chain Tensioners - How do they attach?

For my SS, I have to use a tensioner, and am thinking of converting to the bottom bracket style.

In my research I'm at a loss as to how they attach? I have an older bike and have the older type bottom bracket...the internal type I believe is what it's called. I'm looking at the blackspire ones, but I can't see how it would install. Help please?

Here's an image of the tensioner

Here's an image of my BB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I believe they only work with the newer external type BB's. I think you are out of luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Humm...I was afraid of that. If so maybe I'll get a new one of those too!!

one chain loop
    the bottom right will work ONLY if you know where to permanently tighten it. it is sandwiched between the drive side bb cup and bb shell.

the easiest way is to use a proper iscg adapter like this that will match your stinger:

then you can adjust the tension without loosening and tightening up the bottom bracket every time.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek View Post
    the bottom right will work ONLY if you know where to permanently tighten it. it is sandwiched between the drive side bb cup and bb shell.

the easiest way is to use a proper iscg adapter like this that will match your stinger:

then you can adjust the tension without loosening and tightening up the bottom bracket every time.
    OK Fish..I'm dumb when it comes to BB's. So your saying I need a ISCG adapter (what is ISCG?) and the blackspire tensioner shown in my original post that is on the bottom right of the image?

Sorry I think I need a little hand holding here to make sure I get the right one.

one chain loop
    yes, you need the correct iscg (international standard chain guide) adapter if you want to use the stinger.

currently, there are two iscg sizes, iscg and the the iscg 05.

you simply need to sandwich the adapter between the bb shell and the drive side bb cup. keep in mind that you will gain a chainline around 2mm outboard because of the adapter plate thickness, and lose 2mm clearance on your left crank arms.

the tricky part is where to properly set the iscg adapter and optimize the function of the tensioner.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think i get it now...thanks to your comments -- and google images!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'd love to see one of these installed on an older style BB. Anyone have a nice pic that would match what JB posted?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kayakpete View Post
    I'd love to see one of these installed on an older style BB. Anyone have a nice pic that would match what JB posted?
    I've got parts on order...I'll post a pic when I get it installed. Probably next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Using one of those to tension a chain will be very problematic since you need the crankset on to check tension, and off to adjust the tensioner. Instead take a look at the Yess ETR-B which mounts in the same way, but has an adjustable and sprung roller so you can adjust tension without removing your crank and loosening your bottom bracket.