Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Boone Chainrings Once Again To Be Available

It seems that Matthias Hellore, owner of Experimental Prototype, is licensed to produce these legendary chainrings, and they'll be CNC'd... :

News « Experimental Prototype

one chain loop
    no cogs? spiderless chainrings? would be lovely if they do.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Calm down dood. He just got the okay for the rings. Give the man time to get it down, then you might see some spiderless and cog love type **** for your rides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

one chain loop
    sorry. just got excited.

Teen Wolf
    f-boone. that name is forever tainted in my mind. will not buy.

It is pretty exciting. Wonder the price point? Probably more than my meager checks can handle.
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by cr45h View Post
    f-boone. that name is forever tainted in my mind. will not buy.
    i feel for you, i am not buying either if they do a copy of a five spoke pattern.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It's the outstanding quality and impeccable design of Boone's cogs and chainrings that will be faithfully cloned. I trust that any past issues with Boone, the company, will not be reproduced... The machine shop licensed to reincarnate them, Experimetal Prototype, has a stellar reputation.

The first chainrings produced will include a CNC'd spiderless 34T thick, scalloped, titanium chainring as seen below. IMHO, it's the best chainring design ever conceived.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Drdan; 04-12-2012 at 01:36 AM.

Low Rep Count
    Love the way it looks but I don't think I need something that thick. Wonder what the weight on that will be. I suspect that if things take off for him that we will see other tooth counts as well...hopefully.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drdan View Post
    The machine shop licensed to reincarnate them, Experimetal Prototype, has a stellar reputation.
    I ordered a custom chainring from Mattias a while back, excellent CS, excellent communication, excellent product.

Looking forward to seeing his new product line.

GTaholic
    Oct 2005
    Hi thanks everyone for the kind words.
    That´s true I got a deal with Bruce Boone himself.

BUT, I have a small shop and my CNC mill is limited to 28T currently but I´m seeking for a CNC shop who can make me what I want, the design is not a problem.

Then the availability and price of 6-4 titanium is a thing I have to solve, nowadays titanium isn´t cheap.. But IF I get enough with preorders of a certain size I will make what you want.
    Experimental Prototype

31t? Anyone? I'm in for one.

Addendum: or 32t. Anything in the thirties, I'm in, I'll make the cog work.

The need for singlespeed
    Don't do the preorders thing dude, that never works out. Take out a loan or something and make the product. Have a little entrepreneurial spirit and faith in your product and its marketability.

Disclaimer--I'm four pints in tonight.

GTaholic
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskaranddriver View Post
    Don't do the preorders thing dude, that never works out. Take out a loan or something and make the product. Have a little entrepreneurial spirit and faith in your product and its marketability.

Disclaimer--I'm four pints in tonight.
    Thanks for your opinion, until now I´ve not taken any loans to buy my machines and will not do in future with small projects like this.

Bear in mind there´s a lot of combinations available both in chainring size and bolt circles, preorders without taking first downpayments is the route I want to go, gauging interests in certain size and pattern.

I know 31-33T is popular on singlespeed guys and I use it on my AM rig too but with 10S 11-36 back.

The problem is bolt pattern, what´s popular in your area?
    Experimental Prototype

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    32T Boone spiderless for Hollowgram is SUPER popular...uh...yeah. My area is admittedly small...ie. My garage. /sigh

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    32x104bcd, some 32x102s for 960 XTR, and some SRAM spiderless 32? 20/1/2 ratio?

But what I really would pay up for is an oval ti ring in the boone style.. 34/104.

GTaholic
    Oct 2005
    Here´s a 32-104 I have thought about to made.
    First 2 pcs will be in 7075 alu for internal testing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boone Chainrings Once Again To Be Available-boone-32t-104.jpg  

Experimental Prototype

Single Speed Junkie
    Don't see why you would need to license the Boone design. The chainrings were not functionally unique in any way.

I actually have a few Boone cogs and rings. Guess I was one of the lucky ones, but never actually received the size ordered. Was hoping for a 31 or 32T ring, shipped was a 33T.

GTaholic
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crux View Post
    Don't see why you would need to license the Boone design. The chainrings were not functionally unique in any way.

I actually have a few Boone cogs and rings. Guess I was one of the lucky ones, but never actually received the size ordered. Was hoping for a 31 or 32T ring, shipped was a 33T.
    Bruce Boone has patented this design so was I told and I want to make business in a fair manner.
    Experimental Prototype

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by james-o View Post
    32x104bcd, some 32x102s for 960 XTR
    I'd be interested in the same.

mtbr member
    Mattias,

This is awesome. Hope you make Sram spriderless rings as well.

I'm also curious about the SS kits you make. Those cogs seem really pointy. Any issues with chain slipping? Or, have you found this design to work better than the flat top teeth?

GTaholic
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    Mattias,

This is awesome. Hope you make Sram spriderless rings as well.

I'm also curious about the SS kits you make. Those cogs seem really pointy. Any issues with chain slipping? Or, have you found this design to work better than the flat top teeth?
    Higher teeths are better for singlespeed use as it will be harder for the chain to slip off sideways if the chain isn´t tensioned properly.
    Experimental Prototype

mtbr member
    Got it. I couldn't tell from the photo if they were taller or not. Could you PM about pricing? Or should i just request a quote from the website?

mtbr member
    Making a ring for the modified XTR 960 would be my first choice. It is without a doubt one of the best looking cranks I have ever seen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boone Chainrings Once Again To Be Available-xtr-960-modified-crank-boone-ti-ring.jpg  

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias_Hellöre View Post
    Bruce Boone has patented this design so was I told and I want to make business in a fair manner.
    Fully understand that aspect.

Guess my question was more open ended after being on several patent review boards. With all the patents I been involved with I can not recall a case where by changing the aesthetics of a functional product would constitute a patent. For all other please don't flame me with 20,000 examples where I'm wrong. Was just thinking out loud over the forum.

Mattias, Best of luck in your endeavors making custom cycling components is a difficult business. Chain rings and cogs are most likely more profitable than a few top caps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast