Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bolt on rear hubs

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Ken in KC 
#1 ·
I have left over 9 speed hubbed wheelsets. I was going to get spacers and an 18t cog to put on the 9 speed cassette hub. What would be the best way of attaching the wheel to the frame? I have a Biachi SISS with horizontal dropout with a spot hub right now that is a bolt on. DO I need a bolt on skewer for the 9 speed hub or would a regular quick release work? If a bolt on skewer is needed where can I find a good one at that will not slip in the vertical dropouts?
thanks
Captain_Phun

#2 ·
9-speed wheel

Good Morning,

you could use a q.r., esp. if you'll continue to use the chain tensioners, however, I don't know if the q.r. is long enough to use in conjunction with them. If you can find an old Campy steel q.r., all the better because you can really snug those up. Otherwise, your LBS should be able to get you some bolt-on skewers, which typically use a 5mm hex wrench. If they don't have 'em, or can't find 'em, I know One-On-One Bicycle Studio has 'em (www.oneonone.com) On the flip side to all of this, you may be able to find a solid axle, or you could use a Surly Fixxer which replaces the cassette body and q.r. with a solid set up.

cheers,
Hurl Everstone
Cars-R-Coffins

#6 ·
What did you expect....

Ichabod said:
"ONE ON ONE specializes in customized marketing and management programs for
retirement communities, assisted living and skilled nursing homes."

I found https://www.oneononebike.com/, which seems more likely...
Hurl drinks more whiskey before 9:00 a.m. than most of us drink in a week.... and now he's hot for my sister.....

I hope she wears a condom....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.