mtbr member

Bolt on rear hub

Just thought I would pass along a trick I have for making cheap bolt on rear hubs. Maybe this is not as creative as I think, but I have not seen it done before.

Any cone-type hub I have seen uses a standard size axle. Many bike shops carry replacement axles and usually have bolt on axles as well as QR axles. Simply get a bolt on axle and rebuilt your rear hub with the new axle. Or you can swipe one out of a beater rear wheel from a cheap bike with a bolt on axle. In my case I had a beater hub, and since I am using a road wheel set with Shimano 105 hubs for my KM I added a couple washers in with the spacers to make the width 135mm, up from 130mm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steamroller

Not new, but a good job!

What you came up with is a good conversion but certainly nothing new. It is probably what most any mechanic would do if you brought your bike in and wanted to convert to a bolt on hub, unless of course they thought they could sell you a new hub and wheel build.

Of more interest may be using the road hub on an SS bike, it's likely lighter. I'm not sure how the durability will be. I've seen road hubs used on mtbs before a few times, but never known anyone personally who has done it. My guess would be that you save some grams but sacrifice some durability long term.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

Mtn Biker Machinist

Axle Nuts?

I am about to try the same thing with my commuter. It has a 10mmx1mm QR axle and I was going to get a solid axle of the the same thread. Just wondering about axle nuts, anyone know where I can get some like the Surly axle nuts with the washer built in? I know I can use any 10x1 nut, but I really like how the Surly nuts hold. thanks

King Pin

Smile Surly?

Email Surly and tell 'em you need a coupla 10mm axle nuts. They'll probably just send 'em to ya. I broke two of their cone-securing nuts by overtightening, and they sent me a little bag full 'a replacements in a few days time!

Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    I am about to try the same thing with my commuter. It has a 10mmx1mm QR axle and I was going to get a solid axle of the the same thread. Just wondering about axle nuts, anyone know where I can get some like the Surly axle nuts with the washer built in? I know I can use any 10x1 nut, but I really like how the Surly nuts hold. thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    What you came up with is a good conversion but certainly nothing new. It is probably what most any mechanic would do if you brought your bike in and wanted to convert to a bolt on hub, unless of course they thought they could sell you a new hub and wheel build.

Of more interest may be using the road hub on an SS bike, it's likely lighter. I'm not sure how the durability will be. I've seen road hubs used on mtbs before a few times, but never known anyone personally who has done it. My guess would be that you save some grams but sacrifice some durability long term.
    Yeah, I figured someone has done it before, just nobody I have seen. It seemed too obvious for everyone else to overlook.

The road hub was not used to save weight, especially since road hubs are not any lighter than mountain hubs. I used an existing road wheel set I have to build up a 29er, that's how the road hubs came into MTB use. Plus I like the old-school look I'm not too worried about durability, in the early 1990's road and mountain hubs were basicly the same and there were never any problems with durability that I found. I guess time will tell!

mtbr member

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    Look local, I got mine at the LBS (Newbury Park Bicycle).