mtbr member
    Jan 2004

was bmx your first ss?

I am convinced, at least in my case, that apart from the simplicity of ss that there is a nostalgia of those cruisers and bmx from our 70's and 80's childhood that brings us full circle to ss.
    I am sure some of you have been to vintagebmx.com, but I have been lingering there and spending my much earned dough on old Kuwahara's and have pulled out my 80's DB Siver streak from my parents house-so pristine!
    Anyone else start this biking craze with your first bmx-several pros have.

Derailleurs owned: 0
    Yep, Rampar R-10... and then the R-nine...

Quote Originally Posted by chapel00
    I am convinced, at least in my case, that apart from the simplicity of ss that there is a nostalgia of those cruisers and bmx from our 70's and 80's childhood that brings us full circle to ss.
    I am sure some of you have been to vintagebmx.com, but I have been lingering there and spending my much earned dough on old Kuwahara's and have pulled out my 80's DB Siver streak from my parents house-so pristine!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Nope. I never owned a BMX bike. I had Stingray- and pre-Stingray-type single speeds and Schwinn 3-speed as a kid. My first 2-wheeler was a fixie sidewalk bike that used a car fan belt instead of a chain.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

banned
    yep. I got a Schwinn Grey Ghost for my 14th birthday. the summer of the next year, when I was 15, I took off the coiler fork and put on a 20" fork, got knobby 20" tires, removed all gears and ran a 15 tooth rear, and got a "BMX" kit from Zayre (a mid-Atlantic form of Target or K-Mart) that had a new stem with a moto styled riser bar with crossbar, and struts to attach the rear of the banana seat to fix it at a low height. I ripped this bike around the local trails as if it were a mini moto.

The Top Cap Guy
    My first one was a Huffy 78 - kind of one of those Black and yellow dirt bike bicycle complete with black knobbies and fenders. Then moved to a MCS Spider in the BMX racing days (even had those rims with the drilled holes between the spokes that you could change the rim strip and change the color visible on the outside, for some reason the Comp 3 tires jump out on that. Then moved to a Haro Master Freestyler- custom built piece by piece with my allowance. I remember special ordering that because I wanted a chrome one and everyone had the bright green. Built in fork pegs and extra wide rear drops... Skyway Tuff Wheels, the lay back post, low rise bar for an easier hop over... ODI mushroom grips...

And yes - my first SS experience brought back the good old days of cruising the neighborhood with no worries and the wind in my hair...lol

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

rigid bridgestone mb-4

I moved to California from Kansas in 1989. When I was a kid, I rode a black and white basic kids bike...not even a bmx.
    After spending a summer here near Santa Cruz, I figgered i should join the gang.
    Went back to KS in Sept. and bought a green and blue Bridgestone MB-4...fully rigid, 1989 model. Sweet. I was 21 at the time. Bent the fork riding to Walmart in Kansas, replaced it, and then it got stolen a year later or so. I bought an MB-3 from Spokesman to replace it...still have that frame. It's a rigid single now that I use to go to work and back, cause it's a 1" headtube, and my trail ss has a 1 1/8" fork. I couldn't get rid of the frame I really learned to ride on--the MB-3.
    Anyway, does anyone have an old MB-3 frame that they got from someone else? I still have the serial number if you want to give it back.
    I now have a Specialized Enduro Pro (03), a ss for trails, and a tandem mtb for my wife, with the kid trailer for those beach days. I also ride a road bike when I get desperate.
    Thanks
    Paul

Retro Grouch

Never rode a BMX

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Nope. I never owned a BMX bike. I had Stingray- and pre-Stingray-type single speeds and Schwinn 3-speed as a kid. My first 2-wheeler was a fixie sidewalk bike that used a car fan belt instead of a chain.
    My first bike is a vague memory; all I can remember is it was rust colored and a fixed gear. Later in primary school I had a JC Higgins three speed. I didn't ride it much and it was stolen. By Jr High School I had a 3 speed road bike; my brother had a 3 speed Stingray with a tiger seat, stick shift and a sissly bar (I coveted that bike for years). My single speeding didn't start till much later after a decade of road racing and what started out as a cross training diversion to mountain biking. After building up a double boinger I converted my hardtail to a SS and have been hooked ever since. It's kind of like WC Fields and his line "It was a woman that lead me to drink; it's the one thing I'll be forever indebted to her for ".

1G1G, Brad

hands up who wants to die
    Yep - Mongoose with the circle gusset; it got stolen. Then I had a gray Diamond Back with some GT bars.

-r

Recovering couch patato
    I bought a BMX in ~'84, partly from money I saved up for myself for a long time, but my first gearie came around '85, a 3-spd gent's bike with 26" wheels. All my kid's bikes before that were SS's. 3-wheeler, 24" Gents, etc.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

"Mr. Britannica"
    Nope. Stingray, then Crate bike, then on to the roadie world.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Yes... and no.
    Yes a BMX was the first singlespeed I ridden but no because it was not mine.

The first SS I've ever ridden was not mine, even if I ridden it more than them. The first would have to be my big sister's 15" wheel when I was I guess 4 years old, at that age those wheels were huge. Because I live in a terrace house and the backyards were open (so no fences or hedges in between), and it was a friend neighbourhood and I would ride through the backyards, go around my house (I lived at one of the houses at the end of the 'strip'), along the front of the houses on the driveway, and just loop back and forth for almost endless fun (Except maybe jumping off the swing set). Now that I think about I wish I had worn a helmet even if I didn't get injured back then from riding. It was a red rigid with white grips, saddle and tyres and I don't think I ever used the brakes which probably lead to the few curb-I-still-don't-know-how-to-bunnyhop endos.

My second was my female cousins' purple bike with the same white parts as my sister's and included a trianer wheels. Bigger 20" but I started riding I think 7-ish and then I don't what exactly happened or when but I never saw my sister's bike, I never rode a family member's bike until my cousins, between them there was just rental BMXs. Trainer wheels spoiled the fun abit and their house just didn't have enough space. I rode my cousins' bike until maybe 11 when my dad got me that POS 26" MTB with gears and nasty tyres.

But my first one gear bike would have to be a Fisher-Pricer (I think) fixed front tricycle, you know those almost all plastic things that tiny kids (as well as bigger kids) go wild on, I guess if I have kids one day I'll be getting two plastic bikes... one for the kid and one for me and I can ride indoors without having to clean the bike/trike... I mean it is reccomanded for "2 years and up" . And if my partner permits, I would get a trials bike like a Brisa B20 Pro for indoors-only.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had two BMX bikes, and often rode them in the woods. Now that I have had full suspension, hardtail, and back to single speed, I can see why the single speed, fully rigid, feels more "right" to me then a bike with 5 inches of travel. I am much more fearless, much better of a rider on a single speed, no doubt in my mind.

mtbr member
    I started on a department store road bike (don't recall the brand or details), then got my first Shwinn Stingray look alike. From there the BMX craze was starting and had a couple of BMX bikes and even raced during the 70's. Then got into dirt bikes and dune buggies but eventually after everything was set and done a mountain bike found it's way to my household. Never used it much and after getting tired of seein it hanging from the ceiling sold it and used the money for my project VW GTI, after serious investments the project was eventually cancelled and sold.

About 8 years later got back into mountainbiking and have kept at it until now and have been on a SS for almost 1 year now.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

JC Higgins 3-speed here too

they were made in Austria by Austro-Daimler back then, good bike despite the steel rims. Used to do 40 mile rides on it, and bury the needle of the Stewart-Warner cable driven speedometer past 50 mph on a local hill that merged with a busy road at the bottom. Wouldn't start trying to slow down until the needle pegged. No helmet of course. Lucky to be alive to tell the tale.
    My first SS was of course a fixed gear tricycle.
    First adult SS was a Fuji track bike a shop that sponsored me provided in '75. SunTour track group, nice bike. Unlike the Campy track cranks and bottom brackets I used later on, I never busted the SunTour stuff in a sprint.
    I matured before BMX, thankfully, or I'd be just another circle ridin' dirt jumpin' idiot that never learned how to suffer.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

i worship Mr T
    nope, never had a bmx.

my first bike was something pink with coaster brakes and a white basket up front. i left it in the driveway and my dad ran it over with the car. oops! that was replaces with something teal also with coaster brakes. my first geared bike was a 36 cm, 6 speed motobecane...

which lead me on to nearly 30 years of gears. however with my new pink lady i guess you could say i've come full circle back to my first bike.......except no coaster brakes or basket up front.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    *rt* how did you manage to keep that little Motobecane from my prespective... in mint condition for 30 years? (unless that's an old picture)

Brakes?

BMX...ahhhh tha memories...

My first BMX bike was around 1979. Was a Mongoose, complete with the nylon tuff-wheels.

I got into racing and scored an early GT Pro model frame, built it up with Phil Wood hubs...I had good taste even as a youth!

I miss that bike, but about 6 months after I sold it, it broke at the head tube... It was tired.

Medium?

And first suspension

This was my baby, bought with $175 of paper route money in '76. I've still got the frame, forks and shocks in my garage, but it would be pretty hard to reproduce the parts to built it back up, especially the seat. It had rear suspension with a pivot behind the BB and moped-style shocks. The suspension-looking fork was a true triple-clamp, including the third set of clamps on top for the bars, but they were rigid. The BX-100 was polished aluminum. They also sold the BX-200, which was the same design in Kawi Green steel. There are more pics of it here where I stole this pic.

Kawasaki BX-100

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Nope!

mine was a Big Wheel and then Green Machine, lol!
    BMX came later, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Spinning and Grinning...

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by jonowee
    *rt* how did you manage to keep that little Motobecane from my prespective... in mint condition for 30 years? (unless that's an old picture)
    it's little from anyone's perspective!!

actually, i spent a summer restoring it. here are a couple of pix from the restoration process...

me, the dog, & the bike...(for perspective)

when i started...

as i cleaned...

when i finished

the full restoration took me about 6 months and the only things i replaced were the cables, housing, and the tires/tubes. everything else is original. after sitting in my parent's storage room for about 20 years, it now sits in my bedroom and will eventually move into my workshop once the workshop is built.

rt
    Last edited by *rt*; 12-27-2004 at 11:01 AM.
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    mine was a Big Wheel and then Green Machine, lol!
    BMX came later, though.
    Yup I started out with a fixie ;-) too and moved on to a DB Silver Streak - what I wouldn't give to have that bike back
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

great post rt

is that a drum brake setup in the front
    I too have recovered my "first" bike a 3 speed amf from the parents after I picked up the bmx-although the silver streak was not my first bike it sure was the one that evoked the most emotion
    what did you use for the cleaning of the framd and chrome
    you did a great job

Derailleurs owned: 0
    Is this a silver streak? It has teardrop shaped tubing for the top, down, seatpost tubes... even the seat stays and fork legs.

Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    Yup I started out with a fixie ;-) too and moved on to a DB Silver Streak - what I wouldn't give to have that bike back
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master of the Obvious

Mongoose !

My first real bike( had a True Value specail to learn on) was a Mongoose W/ Motomags, that was in 1978 after that I was addicted, got a paper route started racing BMX3-4 times a week and it seemed I had a new bike every season, I had at different times a Torker,Thruster, P.K. Ripper, Quad Angle, JMC,Powerlite cruiser 26" and a CW cruiser 24".... man I wish I still had that quiver in my life ahhh the good ol' days.....
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

i worship Mr T

thanks!!

is that a drum brake setup in the front
    I too have recovered my "first" bike a 3 speed amf from the parents after I picked up the bmx-although the silver streak was not my first bike it sure was the one that evoked the most emotion
    what did you use for the cleaning of the framd and chrome
    you did a great job
    the restoration became an obsession for me that summer. i spent hours in my garage with a toothbrush & degreaser, sweating like mad in the NC summer heat.

yep, the motobecane is the bike with the most emotion attached. i was actually about 10 when i was riding it and we had to search far & wide to find a geared bike that would fit a 40 lb, 4' tall 10 year old! i think every kid in the neighborhood got to ride that bike and it was handed down to my brother and then some family friends before it returned to rest in my parent's storage for about 20 years. i've got two more little bike restoration projects i'd like to do if i ever have the time.

to get the dirt off the frame i used simple green and windex. sometimes warm water & dish soap if the others didn't work. usually the grime wiped off easily with a rag. if a rag wasn't sufficient i also used a soft bristle toothbrush.

to get the chrome shiny i went at it with super-fine steel wool. it's a miracle worker!! at the beginning i was using degreaser/windex & the toothbrush on the chrome but the guy at one of the local shops who helped me overhaul the headset & bb turned me on to steel wool. it made the job a million times easier and faster.

i also used the steel wool on some of the rust spots on the frame but you have to be careful that you don't make a mess of the paint around the rust. oh, i also think i used a little CLR on the rust spots on the frame. use the CLR sparingly because it is corrosive. after i cleaned off the rust on the frame i touched it up using nail polish. i must have spent 3 hrs in walmart one afternoon picking out nailpolish colors that i thought would mix together to match the paint!

it was a cool project & i'm really pleased with the outcome. in theory the bike is even rideable but i'm not sure i'd want to let anyone on it after all the work!

rt