Thread: BMX to Stingray

Retro Grouch

BMX to Stingray

I bought my son a Haro BMX about 5 years ago. He rode it for a while but now he wants a Stingray. Unfortunately I don’t have the money for a new bike and I’m not sure he’d ride it anyway. But it got me to thinking, a Stingray is not much different then a BMX bike, save the handle bar and seat. So, submitted for your approval, what was a BMX is now a Stingray; yeah, I know a green seat would have been better, but I couldn’t get one in time.

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images

blame me for missed rides
    the fork needs more rake

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Actually looks pretty good. I would have keep the u-brake and just run a long cable instead of the gyro. Maybe put a bmx cruiser fork on it. If you don't want to mess with the geometry a bmx cruiser fork and a 16" front wheel would keep the angles the same. Damn, that seatpost is high in the before pic. I'm 6'2" and I don't run my seat that high on my 20".
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Damn, I know what I'm doing this weekend...

Retro Grouch

That brake never worked.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatemybike
    Actually looks pretty good. I would have keep the u-brake and just run a long cable instead of the gyro. Maybe put a bmx cruiser fork on it. If you don't want to mess with the geometry a bmx cruiser fork and a 16" front wheel would keep the angles the same. Damn, that seatpost is high in the before pic. I'm 6'2" and I don't run my seat that high on my 20".
    That brake never worked very well, so I used a coaster wheel/brake instead.

1G1G, Brad

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Might of been how the gyro was set up. You'ld be surprised at how many I see that aren't done right.
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

Retro Grouch

I don't know..

Quote Originally Posted by ihatemybike
    Might of been how the gyro was set up. You'ld be surprised at how many I see that aren't done right.
    I played with the brake a bit and never got it to work, there was no modulation at all and you needed a gorilla grip to to make the rear tire lock up. Regarding the seatpost, I had pulled it out to see how long it was for the new seat and just didn't push it back down for the photo

1G1G, Brad

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Softer green brake pads might have helped on the black rim. I use the greens whenever a bike has u-brakes. Once set up, modulation is OK.

Are white walls next?
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mamadirt
    That looks really cool - love it Reckon I know what I'm gonna do with the spare DB BMX frame that's hanging in my garage.

I love it! Brought a tear to my eye reminiscing about yesteryear, with a "new school" twist. You did good...............
    [SIZE=2][SIZE=3]"Roll your own......." [SIZE=1]Smokebikes.com[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]