Thread: BMX crank?

mtbr member

BMX crank?

I'm thinking of upgrading my crank and bottom bracket to a BMX Redline Flight, as suggested by my LBS (thanks to the previous responses helping with the BB sizing question). Before I do I was hoping for some thoughts from the pros on this site whether that's the best route to go? I'm a big rider on a 29er hardtail SS. The Redline Flight look nice and seems strong but what else should I be considering? $200 range for crank and BB together.

Apr 2007
    Shimano XT or SLX.

openwound
    What's the purported benefit of a bmx crank? Would you have considered them without your shop's recommendation?

I agree with p_nut, either of those shimano cranks would be a great choice.

mtbr member
    What's the purported benefit of a bmx crank? Would you have considered them without your shop's recommendation?
    I would have never thought of it without this recommend from my LBS. They claim that it is ultimate in strenghth to price ratio considering my budget and size. After doing some searches through, I can see that the XT crank can be a similar cost. So by reading these past 2 comments I can only assume that putting this type of BMX cranks on a SS mtb isn't the "norm"? I don't ride with any other SSers so I wouldn't know. But I do know my current crank is on the bottom end (had to buy cheap then build up the frame as feasible).

mtbr member
    i had those cranks on my flatland bmx bike many years ago. i was not impressed. most bmx cranks use a 19mm 48-spline spindle and a few use a 22mm square spindle. i am pretty sure Redline uses and odd 20mm spindle, which i snapped in half (should not happen with my riding style) and it uses standard instead of metric bolts (unless they changed that over the years.

you are much better off with a splined crankset like Profile.

mtbr member
    You could find good cheaper cranks than the flights for $200-thats a lot for BMX cranks. If you think about how BMXers treat their cranks-grinds and such-they don't want to spend a ton of cash on something they are going to bash on purpose. But they can be heavy and keep in mind that you have to run 1/8" chains on most sprockets for BMX cranks.

mtbr member
    Profile makes bmx-style mtb cranks with 3/32" sprockets. it might be cheaper than XTR cranks. do the research.

mtbr member
    I picked up a Truvativ 180mm Racing XR BMX crank, isis bb, and 36tooth chainring from my lbs for $50. It was taken off another bike but in new condition. It really doesn't look any different than a standard mountain bike crank. I think they had one more if you are interested.

Contact us with your video production needs.
    mike@arkfilms.com

mtbr member
    As a BMX rider at heart, I feel like I can answer this no prob! First of all, the Redline Flite is a crappy crankset. Now if I were you, I would run a set of Profiles:
    http://www.danscomp.com/452553.php?cat=PARTS

Paired with the bottom bracket:
    http://www.danscomp.com/456007.php?cat=PARTS

This will be a BOMB PROOF crankset. Feel free to PM me with any more BMX questions. I sound kinda cocky, but I do my research and I know BMX!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You want bombproof and cheap? Here you go:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Crankset.aspx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau
    As a BMX rider at heart, I feel like I can answer this no prob! First of all, the Redline Flite is a crappy crankset. Now if I were you, I would run a set of Profiles:
    http://www.danscomp.com/452553.php?cat=PARTS

Paired with the bottom bracket:
    http://www.danscomp.com/456007.php?cat=PARTS

This will be a BOMB PROOF crankset. Feel free to PM me with any more BMX questions. I sound kinda cocky, but I do my research and I know BMX!
    Coupon codes for danscomp:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/danscomp.com

mtbr member
    With the responses - I guess I need to ask the basic question if it even makes sense to use a BMX cranks. Advantages? Disadvantages?

mtbr member
    What I can think of:

Pros:
    Typically cheaper, especially the BBs
    The BBs are more servicable-the whole cartridge won't be shot, if you blow out bearings you can replace them from LBSs or even machinery shops.
    Stronger
    They come in all sorts of crazy colors!

Cons:
    Heavier
    You have be sure to get a longer spindle-BMX BBs are usually shorter. You also have to be sure the crank arms clear the chainstays.
    If you want to microdrive most BMX cranks go down to 25t, some can do 23t
    Sprockets are more often for 1/8" chains
    If you want a bashguard, they often only partially cover the sprocket but you can get integrated sprocket/bashguards and full bashguards

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath
    Pros:
    The BBs are more servicable-the whole cartridge won't be shot, if you blow out bearings you can replace them from LBSs or even machinery shops.
    External bottom brackets, like the LX crankset I posted the link for, have replaceable bearings.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocket47
    With the responses - I guess I need to ask the basic question if it even makes sense to use a BMX cranks. Advantages? Disadvantages?
    It makes sense to use 3 piece cromoly BMX cranks if you want the most versatile and strongest cranks out there.

Pros:

Strength and stiffness
    Wide choice of arm lengths from 160mm to 190mm
    Ability to run any chainring/chainwheel tooth size from 24t to 48t and beyond
    Individual replacement parts are available for a reasonable price

Cons:

Weight
    Complexity - you really have to buy all the parts seperately and know what you'll need and what will work with your setup
    Most use standard sized tools like 7/32" allen wrenches
    Cost - once you add everything up with shipping, it can get expensive

The LX crankset from Jenson is an absolute steal and would work well for most riders.

mtbr member
    Just a few things I noticed:
    Most use standard sized tools like 7/32" allen wrenches

This is only true for Profile cranks. Profiles use standard because they are American made. Most use metric so don't worry about this.

Complexity - you really have to buy all the parts seperately and know what you'll need and what will work with your setup

Its not really that hard, you just need to know spindle size for your bb and chainring and if you wanna run a chainwheel or chianring and spider.

Overall, Profile cranks are arguably the best and most versatile for any kind of bike. Just go here and you have all of your options in a reasonably priced package.
    http://www.profileracing.com/estore2...p?productid=43
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood