Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Blinglesleeds?

mtbr member

Blinglespeeds?

Blinglespeeds. We've all seen em. CF, Ti, custom. 1 gear, $3-4k invested, colour matches and 19lbs. But are they in the spirit of SS core culture? Have they lost something, just like the guy who has all his gear carried by sherpa's to Everest basecamp?
    Last edited by islander; 04-10-2013 at 07:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    That is one heck of a word you made up. There is nothing wrong with customizing something to the max. That is half the fun.

mtbr member
    agree, to a point.

i still ride a modified BuSS, the original bianchi SS frame.

basic, nothing special, but i love my ss bike.

Function over form. Ride hard.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A single speed bike is still just a bike, not a cultural statement. When I bought my first single speed in 1999 I didn't see another one on the trail for several years. Does that mean I get to create this imaginary culture? Or was I supposed to emulate the guys that inspired me - a bunch of dudes racing the 24 Hours of Moab calling themselves Team Hugh Jass and wearing dresses? (That would've been '96 or '97 I think). Or am I supposed to ride drunk since that was what a lot of people did in the beginning at single speed races?

Well, you know what I do? I ride my single speed. It has lots of nice parts on it too. There was no "culture" involved at all. I just like to build bikes and I like single speeds. There was no "culture" trying to tell me what parts to build it out of.

nothing to see here
    Who cares what a person rides? If it makes them happy and they ride more often, go for it. Don't judge.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I ride my 1X1 with basic but nice stuff and I love it. Certainly not bling by anyones standards but I love riding it so thats all that counts. I've certainly had 'blinger' bikes but none I've enjoyed as much as this. Function first and foremost, though I do like it to look good, keep it clean and nice but any mods or upgrades are done for use first.

Jamie

mtbr member
    I really don't care if what I do to or on my bike is in the spirit of anything other than "fun for me". If someone else spends $10k on their SS bike, more power to them...besides, a vast majority of the riders I see on hot single speeds are really fast and fit. If we were talking about blinged out FS geared bikes, I think the Everest comparison would be more appropriate.

If I could afford a 19# ti/carbon copy of my current bike, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I can't, so I guess I still have spirit of SS Culture street cred?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Blinglespeeds. We've all seen em. CF, Ti, custom. 1 gear, $3-4k invested, colour matches and 19lbs. But are they in the spirit of SS core culture? Have they lost something, just like the guy who has all his gear carried by sherpa's to Everest basecamp?
    Having a bike made for you, by one person in their machine shop who is a craftsman or buying a mass produced machine made in a huge factory in Asia.

Not knocking either but if I really strip it back to basics then the first option strikes me as more "core".

At the end of the day it's not what you ride, where you ride or how hard you ride but how much fun you have riding it. Anyone who goes out for for a bike ride and comes back grinning from ear to ear is doing it right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If they have one gear...It's in the spirit of the SS core culture, regardless of the bikes cost.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    *shrug* I ponied up the money for Hope skewers and SP collar just because it said Hope on it and matched the headset and hubs. I didn't even look up weight to see if those $50 skewers were the lightest out there and I didn't "need" to spend that extra $75 for crap I had 3-4 of each sitting around in the parts bin, but it made me happier doing it and it looks nice.

mtbr member
    I agree that usually not everyone would built a high end SS. If you are building such a bike you really know what you want and you know exactly how to ride it. Can't say so about people building bling carbon geared suspension bikes. I know a man who is building hi end carbon lightweight geared hardtail. Practically he does'nt even ride it, he is just building it with lighter and lighter parts (frames, forks, brakes) for last 2 years. I really would be happy if he build a rigid SS (which is lighter than any geared hardtail) or even brakeless fixedgear XC bike (which is possible to be used on our trails (he won't ride the most technical ones in any case on any bike)) and kick ass on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    At first I read this, are dinglespeeds still singlespeeds. I was confused about all the answers.

Then I re-read it as are singlespeeds (blinglespeed) still singlespeeds. I was confused about the question.

In your analysis with Everest, how should you climb it the most "raw/hardcore/man/tough/true" way? Naked, by yourself,and without oxygen or help? Only then did you really do it because sherpas, fancy new clothing, and oxygen is cheating? I guess any nice advancement in cycling is also not raw by your terms, so we should all just run instead of cycling because it is the ubertrue (I can make up words too) way of SS.

I agree with a lot of the comments. The really nice single speeds in my area are all rode on by super fast guys. I have yet to see a blingy single speed being ridden by a slow person.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    And I will say I've raced single speeds on 12hr endurance two years running now (this will be my 3rd year).

First year was on my rigid 27lbs se stout. It was fun and I was beat, averaging about 65-76 min 10mi laps. Second year I built up a rigid carbon/steel 21lbs On-One Inbred with the previously mentioned Hope bling and was averaging a much more respectable 53-57min laps putting out about the same effort. Granted I had another year of riding/training under my belt (going on about 6yrs heavy riding total to date), but I was pretty much in the same shape for both rides.

So yes... I do think that the "blinglespeed" made a difference. Maybe it was 75% mental/25% physical or the other way around, but that "bling" made me ride faster, farther and have a lot more fun one way or another, so it was worth it to me.

psycho cyclo addict
    Whatever others want to spend is their business. I don't care if they make fashion statements, heedlessly waste money, etc.

I have a nice rigid SIR 9 that I built up for $1,100 total and daz good enough for meeee

mnoutain bkie rdier
    aka...i don't have the money to spend on a $4K singlespeed and i want to justify riding a beater"

jk

until you ride a cf or ti singlespeed, you will not understand. also, a ton of the $4k is in the brakes and wheels etc.

should we all settle for crap wheels and brakes to?

ss is for simplicity. cf, ti, etc does not change the simplicity of the machine imo.

have you seen what kids are racing on today in bmx!?

mtbr member
    As long as they have a big grin on their faces, who cares what and how fast they ride.

mtbr member
    I have a "blinglespeed" and I haven't lost anything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My ss is a Ludite. Some will say not special but it is mine. Only "bling" on it is a lego Darth Vader zip tied to the handle bars. Why? Vader reminds me of being a kid, just like riding. I guess that makes me the Sith of the Trails......

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Blinglesleeds?

If the bike is a trailer queen ... I mean rack or garage queen, that's a joke. But if guys are riding them hard, then I say more power to them! I think a super light high performance SS would be pretty fun and cooler than a blinged out geared bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am a fan of either bling or non-bling, and went middle of the road on my current SS build with about $2k in it. Has all the parts that I wanted on it based upon my previous SS rides, and is a nice bike to me. No one else matters.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Blinglespeeds. We've all seen em. CF, Ti, custom. 1 gear, $3-4k invested, colour matches and 19lbs. But are they in the spirit of SS core culture? Have they lost something, just like the guy who has all his gear carried by sherpa's to Everest basecamp
    ?
    no....nothing is lost. Some people have the means, patience and drive to 'invest' in something they love.

And your analogy of a sherpa helping a climber vs. a 'nice' bike doesn't hold water...

Compare an old ratted Mazda RX-7 vs. a Lotus on a twisty course then you have an analogy - the better driver will win....just as the better rider will be faster/smoother on any 1 geared bike regardless of cost.

my .02

* and don't even ask how much my blinglsleed was *
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Blinglesleeds?

I think this thread should have photos to help us decide.

mtbr member
    If you're rolling a high dollar tricked out SS you've likely paid your dues in the SS game and are a straight baller in the trail.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianW. View Post
    My ss is a Ludite. Some will say not special but it is mine. Only "bling" on it is a lego Darth Vader zip tied to the handle bars. Why? Vader reminds me of being a kid, just like riding. I guess that makes me the Sith of the Trails......
    The Luddite is an awesome SS and a gateway bike to blingyness
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum Jones View Post
    The Luddite is an awesome SS and a gateway bike to blingyness
    X3 lovin the Luddite, I put a Niner DF bar on it and schwalbe tires does that make it Blingy! in the 29er forum I see some poeple with the Import Carbon rims and I just think Really??? More power to them.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast