mtbr member

blackspier mono veloce

Ok I have a total dumba$$ question here. I have an older bike that I think I am going to convert to a single speed. I was planning on using the crank arms from this bike (all the chainrings are shot) and this chainring. I am wondering if this chainring will fit on my circa 93 (I think) STX crank arms? They are a five bolt pattern, but I don't know much about the spacing on these, is it universal or are there different sized bolt patterns?? If anyone could help and let me know if I can use these it would be great. Thanks.

17.5" pistons of love
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dumpy
    Ok I have a total dumba$$ question here. I have an older bike that I think I am going to convert to a single speed. I was planning on using the crank arms from this bike (all the chainrings are shot) and this chainring. I am wondering if this chainring will fit on my circa 93 (I think) STX crank arms? They are a five bolt pattern, but I don't know much about the spacing on these, is it universal or are there different sized bolt patterns?? If anyone could help and let me know if I can use these it would be great. Thanks.
    You may or may not have the ultimate turd of all cranks. I don't remember what year it was but Shimano produced stx cranks that the chainrings were totally proprietary. I think the small bolted to the middle and there was some other wierdness(odd bolt circle?). Now I remember-big bolts to middle which shares a single set of bolts with the small ring to attatch to crank arm. They look normal, but I say no dice on the 94mm ring. Take them to a shop a have them take a look, if you can get a ring buy it from them.
    The Domesticated SSer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bulging Calves
    You may or may not have the ultimate turd of all cranks. I don't remember what year it was but Shimano produced stx cranks that the chainrings were totally proprietary. Now I remember-big bolts to middle which shares a single set of bolts with the small ring to attatch to crank arm. They look normal, but I say no dice on the 94mm ring. Take them to a shop a have them take a look, if you can get a ring buy it from them.
    Yup that sounds like it, the big does bolt to the middle and then all three bolt to the crank arms together. Yeah I would say that STX was the turd of all component groups (excluding all the real low end huffy stiff). I figured I could probably get away with keeping the crank arms, they seem sufficentally stiff and durable. I may just buy a new crank and do it right from the start. Thanks for the help.