mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Bike stolen, looking for a new frame, help?

So my old beater bike was stolen. Not a great loss other than I no longer have a bike. I Have been collecting parts the past month or so but now I'm down to the last bits and my main issue is deciding on a frame. I was hoping I could get some help. Here's a bit about me...

6'2"
    32" inseam
    250+ pounds
    Masher
    Ride like a bull in a china shop

What I'm looking for...

Hardtail
    29er
    Single Speed

Budget is $500. Pretty tight on that one. Might be able to go a little higher, but not much.

I have a wheel set and the rear is a Chris King SS hub. I was looking really hard at the Kona Honzo but it has a 142mm rear and my hub is a 135mm and from what I read, I can't convert this hub to work with a 142mm. Not sure if I misunderstood that, if it's possible, can someone tell me what I need to do? I'd probably jump on the Kona if I didn't have to get a new rear hub and wheel. Otherwise, I'm not partial to frame material though I'd like to try steel. I've only ever had aluminum and like it just fine. I like climbing but not so great at it, so a decent climbing frame would be bonus. I really like the geometry (on paper) of the Kona with the short chain stays and slack head tube.

If anyone can offer some help, I would greatly appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well, and email from Chris King confirms that their SS hub cannot be used with a 142mm frame. What I thought but I was hoping there was a way. Oh well. So with that confirmed, any suggestions on a 135mm frame? So many options it makes things really confusing and hard to choose.

mtbr member
    Honestly there are many possibilities. You would most likely hear everyone's opinion about what is the best bike ever. It only matters what you think is the best and the only way to find out is to go ride something. Ebay and CL are filled with all sorts of options that should hit your price point. Sorry to not throw out brand names, but I think you should do some homework and take a look at the 29er forum. Then come back and fish with some more specific questions. Finally, you can make any multi speed an SS, but you can't make a dedicated SS a multi. I would keep all options open until you actually ride something. Cheers and sorry to hear about your loss.
    Also take a look in the cyldesdale forum, there might be some considerations there I don't think about.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the help. Yeah, I've been lurking for quite some time but generally don't get on too much until recently. My stolen bike was an older Rockhopper 29er that I bought used and it was pretty beat up already and I abused it even more. Like I said, it wasn't a great loss. It was setup single speed though. I loved it. I honestly don't see myself going back to gears...ever. I mean maybe when I'm too old and broken to be able to get off the saddle to mash, but at this point, I don't see that being the case anytime soon.

I was just hoping to maybe get pointed in some direction as to frames to look at...frames either specifically designed for SS if there are any, or frames that just lend themselves well for SS use. I'll do like suggested and hit the 29er section hard and see what others are riding and check out the thoughts and reviews.

Thanks again for posting.

mtbr member
    I don't know how these compare with the Kona geo, but the Surly Karate Monkeys are pretty burly. Keep an eye on CL and ebay and then use your google fu and mtbr to cross check for durability. Good luck and happy hunting.
    No fuss with the MUSS