mtbr member
    Aug 2008

bike recommendation...again (sorry)

Hello everyone, need your opinions here. I understand this topic has probably been done to death but I have done a lot of searching and was unable to find exactly what i need. (this forum is too large with too many posts so my apology for creating repeated thread).

well I have been thinking very very hard in deciding what to get for my next bike and I have pretty much decided to get a Steel single speed rigid 29er. Reasons are I had ridden my friend's rigid on the trail before and i ABSOLUTELY loved it, and, lets just say I am never a fan of a geared bike, don't like to think about changing gear and more things to break etc.

I would like to get a very durable bike that will last for a long time (therefore the choice of steel frame). It is going to be my 'everything' bike which I will use for commuting and trail riding. The trails I do are of aggressive xc / trail level with some technical rocky terrain that may requires me to do some small drops occasionally. I don't race so weight isn't a big concern to me, any 'excessive' weight will be covered by the engine (my legs, i hope) .

my priority will be:
    Durability (able to take abuses)
    upgradability (want a frame that's worthwhile to be upgraded with good parts in the future)
    price (of course)

oh I have heard eccentric bottom bracket are prone to break so i think i will want to avoid that.

I have been checking out a few options such as the GT Peace 9r and Surly Karate Monkey and avanti k.i.s.s. 29er. Would they be strong enough to handle everything i do?? what other options do I have??

Sorry for the long post and thanks for all the help.

Edit: not sure if it matters, but I'm about 178cm tall and weigh 70kg.
    Last edited by jazzle; 02-16-2009 at 07:53 AM.

stick
    I've heard a lot of good things about Redline's MonoCog series, but haven't logged enough time riding them to give you the complete answer there.

I personally ride a Vassago Jabberwocky that I built up myself, it is without question the best bike I've ridden. Solid, stable, handles beautifully, and wasn't too expensive. You can read about the frames here: http://vassagocycles.com/

MTBR Product Reviews

The Unbeliever
    I heartily second the Vassago suggestion. If durability is what you're after, and your budget permits, I'd check out Vassago's Optimus Ti titanium frame. For Ti, it's fairly reasonably priced.
    On the one hand it's who you know, and over here you got favoritism - H.I. McDonough

Disabled Vet
    I second the Monocog

Mine is a 26er,but from the same steel,it's an '02,I've upgraded every parts (on my 2nd or 3rd stock wheelset,tho...only stock parts left) with better parts (like a Fox fork,Truvativ Hussefelt cranks,etc),and have logged thousands of miles on her...Best investment I ever made-so much so that when I wanted to try 29ers and replace an ill fitting geared bike,it's the reason I bought a new d440 last year (Redline 29er 1x8,same basic frame as a monocog,only w/ derailluer friendly verticle drops.

On the Vassago note,I also agree...I haven't ridden (or seen) one,but I was so impressed w/ everything I've read on em,I just ordered a Vassago ODIS fork for the d440 last week
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi, thanks for the reply. very much appreciated.

looks like Vassago is a great choice, however I live in Australia sydney and I'm not too sure if I could get them , does anyone know??

also i'm pretty new to mountain biking so I'm not so sure if i wanna build a bike from scratch.. LOL HAHA buying a complete might be a better option for now..

Redline monocog sounds good .. and i know where i can get them..

any other choices?? =D

aka baycat
    Soul Cycles

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thank baycat, will check it out see if i can get it in australia.

just want clarify, when you guys say monocog, are you referring to the lower model or the higher model?? (monocog flight), i assume it's the lower as it seems like the normal Monocog has a stronger frame than the flight according to another thread.

also, which frame would be better??? surly karate monkey or monocog?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Monocog 29r (lower grade) is the steel frame and what I currently ride. Flight is an aluminum frame and weighs a bit less, but has been said to break easier. For a complete noob friendly bike, I would lean towards the Monocog 29r, though it might be hard to buy it in Aus. because Redline doesn't like online sales.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have an 08' Flight and last I checked, it is made of steel, Sanko Japanese steel to be precise. and all that you've heard about frame cracking at the down tube gusset has been resolved. It's a blast to ride and is probably the best bike frame wise component wise 29er on the market. If you can find an 08' jump on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    =D that's good to hear. if I'm to get a bike later it will be a 09 model..

my local lbs actually sells redline but i have to make sure they can get me monocog.. gotta check the price of Karate monkey and Monocog.. thanks guys for the great help =)

pyroclastic flow
    yes the monocog flight 29 er is steel. and the 09 color is amazing. mine is blue and really cool. the upgrade options are very good and although the 09 comes with Ritchey "comp" stem and seatpost they are still good. rims are top notch and the seat is awesome. IMO. see if you can get an 08 the components are a bit better and its blue, if you like that. oh yeah you shouldnt be sorry for asking questions only the jerks that spend all day here would be mad. enjoy you choice and RIDE ON!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks troyer for the information =D. i'm pretty set on getting a monocog as stupid monkey cost around 2000 dollars AUD.. hahaha

i should be getting the basic monocog as i believe frame is stronger, just wondering if the 09 model still has the headset issue but i have read somewhere that it's been addressed in the 08 model.. =D

once again, thanks everyone

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Can't go wrong with the Monocog...they are tanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My 08 Monocog is a monster. Cant beat it for the price. You will find yourself riding like you were 10, looking for dirt hills to whip and neighbors curbs to jump. I have taken it on some pretty hariy trails and so far no probs. My friends on their $2500 scientific achievements cant believe that I can keep up, and after we ride I think they feel a little silly. If I had a little more dough I would have gone w the Haro Mary, but as it is I am totally happy w the cog.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dummey
    Monocog 29r (lower grade) is the steel frame and what I currently ride. Flight is an aluminum frame and weighs a bit less, but has been said to break easier. For a complete noob friendly bike, I would lean towards the Monocog 29r, though it might be hard to buy it in Aus. because Redline doesn't like online sales.
    FLight is Sanko double butted Cro-Mo...just re-checked...from thier site:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2009 MONOCOG FLIGHT 29er

29 inches of pure pleasure.

Frame: Sanko Cromoly Double Butted
    Fork: Sanko Cromoly Taper Leg CNC Ends
    Headset: Threadless 28.6mm
    Frt Der: NA (28.6mm)
    Rear Der: NA
    Shifter: NA
    Crank: FSA Alpha Drive 32T W Guard
    BB Set: FSA ISIS 68mm x 108mm
    Cogs: 16T Single
    Rim: WTB Laser Disc 32H
    Tire: Maxxis Ignitor 29 x 2.1
    Bar: Ritchey Riser Pro 31.8mm x 60mm rise
    Stem: Ritchey Comp 31.8mm
    Saddle: WTB Pure V
    Brakes: Avid BB5
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Check out grassroots.com for the monocog 2008, they are selling them for 425 american dollars, dont know if they will ship to australia though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    FLight is Sanko double butted Cro-Mo...just re-checked...from thier site:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2009 MONOCOG FLIGHT 29er

29 inches of pure pleasure.

Frame: Sanko Cromoly Double Butted
    Fork: Sanko Cromoly Taper Leg CNC Ends
    Headset: Threadless 28.6mm
    Frt Der: NA (28.6mm)
    Rear Der: NA
    Shifter: NA
    Crank: FSA Alpha Drive 32T W Guard
    BB Set: FSA ISIS 68mm x 108mm
    Cogs: 16T Single
    Rim: WTB Laser Disc 32H
    Tire: Maxxis Ignitor 29 x 2.1
    Bar: Ritchey Riser Pro 31.8mm x 60mm rise
    Stem: Ritchey Comp 31.8mm
    Saddle: WTB Pure V
    Brakes: Avid BB5
    Thanks for the follow up checking, don't know where I got the idea that it was alum.