mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Bike Island "Unbranded" Steel 29er?

Anyone have pics or info regarding these?:
    BikeIsland.com

I know these frames (mostly the geared version) have been discussed in other threads, but the discussion usually revolves around the RST fork. I'm not interested in the fork, just the SS version of the frame. If you have an opinion about the frame or have pics, please share.

The need for singlespeed
    I was curious about a bike island frame (not this one) but no geometry info was posted. I inquired and they responded that they didn't know. I thought that was strange. Also choices are limited in 26.8mm seatposts, if you care about such things.

Former Bike Wrench
    The rumor is that it is a unbranded KHS Solo One from a few years ago, if that is the case then here is the geometry. That wouldn't be the first time KHS has sold their frames generically. I had a 26" Phobia that was clearly a KHS steel frame back in 2003.

http://www.khsbicycles.com/Images/Ge.../08-geo-HT.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Spend just a tad bit more and you'll get a frame that you'll know something about. Even the fact that they don't list the geometry on their website is a red flag in my opinion. I'm sure that the geometry is just copied off of some other frame, but I would want to know more than that. The price point of the unbranded frame is very close to a Soma juice, Redline monocog, kona unit, and many others. Look for a used frame and you'll get even more for your buck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjohn View Post
    I'm sure that the geometry is just copied off of some other frame,
    You don't know WTF you are talking about.

Bike Island doesn't manufacture these frames, so they aren't "copied" off of some other frame, regardless of how "sure" you are; like mtnbiker72 wrote, they are unbranded OEM 2007 KHS Solo One frames
    Mind your own religion.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post

Bike Island doesn't manufacture these frames, so they aren't "copied" off of some other frame, regardless of how "sure" you are; like mtnbiker72 wrote, they are unbranded OEM 2007 KHS Solo One frames

Is there a geo chart or pictures or some other proof of this? Like a previous poster pointed out, unless you "know" what your getting, you are probably better off with another choice that has known geometry. If it is an unbranded KHS Solo One, it could be a good choice but heresay and anecdotal evidence does not prove anything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I ended up buying a 19" frame. I built it yesterday and won't have time to ride it until later today or tomorrow. Frame seems pretty nice and construction is decent. I'll provide feedback after I get a few rides in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post

We had a guy in our group ride that had one of these - they are just fine. Welds looked good, everything was straight and he rode it like a champ. I bought a cheap Kinesis frame (who happens to make frames for just about every big brand) and rode it rigid SS. Not a care in the world.

I wish people would stop being so brand name elitist. I've traveled to China and Taiwan, seen who makes ALL the stuff and realized it's all coming from the same place. Unless you go high end domestic, the differences are usually in graphics.