mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Biggest Tire for Chameleon

I shed the gears (finally) but now the the Fire FR 2.4 rubs when I move the wheel a bit forward in the dropout. What is the largest brand/size tire that I can run and still have a bit of clearance for adjusting the chain tension?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The Fire FR is huge.

Use the specs on my Tire Site to compare other tire to estimate which tires may work.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

King Pin

Good job! Wtb

Tried the FireXC 2.5" FR on my Lizard.....won't work too good.

I'm back to running the WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4" (or 2.24") Race tire, with plenty of room to spare. That's my favorite tire anywhoo.

glyphic bacon
    I ran a WTB MutanoRaptor on the rear of my Chammy and although it fit between the chainstays ok, I was not able to achieve the full (forward) range of an already somewhat limited chain adjustability. In fact, after my chain stretched to the point where I had to shorten it a bit (moving the tire forward in the dropouts), my Mutano tire was then rubbing against the crux of the chainstay. The solution was to put a lower profile (Mythos XC) tire on to alleviate the chain adjustability problem. Overall I love the frame, but it should be redesigned so that a fat tire can be moved all the way forward whilst still retaining full chain tension adjustability. They should also lengthen the dropouts just a bit more to achieve same. And finally they should slot the holes on the disc brake tab so that the caliper can be adjusted in order for full pad contact to be achieved at all wheel positions on the dropouts. My DISS has all of these features, Santa Cruz should take a lesson from Bianchi for their one SS offering (and none of these features would hinder the Chammy's ability to be a geared bike either).