mtbr member

Big Betty vs. Timberwolf 2.7

I am looking to replace my Weirwolf 2.5 up front for something a little bigger. I am running fully rigid, and feel like the Weirwolf bounces a little too much for my taste. I also do not want a full DH monster that weighs 1500 grams. Both of these tires are around 900 grams and seem to have a little more cush than the weirwolf 2.5. Any reviews of either one of these tires would be appreciated. I did some searching and found info on the Timberwolf 2.5, but nothing on the 2.7, which is not on Shiggy's website. I know he has recommended the Big Betty before, but I don't know if it will be a noticeable difference from my current tire.

Bike, rider, terrain info: Hunter frame, Kelly rigid fork, 190lb rider, East coast technical terrain: lots of rocks, roots, logs etc.

Thanks,
    Mark

mtbr member
    I find it hard to believe that nobody has ridden either of these tires! Someone please help me! Please!

Candlestick Maker
    I have a couple Timberwolf 2.7's that I run on my fully rigid Inbred. I don't usually ride giant tires, but got these just for the heck of it. Compared to Mutano 2.4's, the Timberwolf's have much higher rolling resistance, but quite a bit more cush. I personally wouldn't want to do any epic rides on the 2.7's, but for < 2 hour casual rides, they work fine. Traction seems to be very good (I generally ride sandy, rocky, loose CO front range type trails). To me, the 2.7's look giant, even motor-cycle like.

baker

from the east

Timberwolf...

I haven't ridden any big betties, but I got a 2.7 timberwolf a couple of months ago to put on the front of a rigid bike. It is huge, and can be run very soft. The casing is not DH-thick, but pretty tough. I run it between 10 and 15 psi. It has HUGE traction, just huge...but a ton of rolling resistance too - there's giant gaps between the knobs that make it a very buzzy tire on hard surfaces.

In another thread, you mentioned riding at Blue Mountain. This tire is probably overkill for most trails, but it makes me ride better at blue.

eric.
    Last edited by Bicycle Rider; 10-20-2005 at 04:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I Just Mounted a 2.7 on my

1x9. Sorry I know this is a SS forum, but the bike is an MC and there is only one chainring. Thinking about a 1x4 set-up ala Jeff Jones. I just mounted the TW 2.7 as i was looking for a little more cush than the BG 2.5 What kind of pressures are people running with these? The tire says minimum is 35, which is where it is right now. The thing is BEEFY!!
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle Rider
    I haven't ridden any big betties, but I got a 2.7 timberwolf a couple of months ago to put on the front of a rigid bike. It is huge, and can be run very soft. The casing is not DH-thick, but pretty tough. I run it between 10 and 15 psi. It has HUGE traction, just huge...but a ton of rolling resistance too - there's giant gaps between the knobs that make it a very buzzy tire on hard surfaces.

In another thread, you mentioned riding at Blue Mountain. This tire is probably overkill for most trails, but it makes me ride better at blue.

eric.
    Thanks for the info everyone. Seems like noboby has ridden the big betties. I do ride at Blue Mountain regularly, and could see this tire being great there. I am hoping to go there this afternoon if the rain holds out, but it doesn't look promising! I was also thinking this might be a good winter tire for an extra wide contact patch.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad
    The tire says minimum is 35, which is where it is right now.
    Think it is safe down in the low 20's. I think the lawyers like to have the manuf. put down a "minimum" across the board for MTB tires. I have had my Panaracer 2.4 FR down in the low 20's. I am 165 and ride gingerly. I actually let out some air before a descent and bottomed out on a root I did not negotiate properly. I got home and checked the pressure, it was at 15! Doh!
    Tuff Schist

from the east

Yeah honestly

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    I am hoping to go there this afternoon if the rain holds out, but it doesn't look promising!
    Great weather we've been having. Makes me want to take up swimming instead of riding. Have you been up to Blue Mountain recently? I figured the deluge would have put it out of commission for a good long while.

eric.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have Big Betty at the back of my Kona convert and have been riding it for about 2 months now. I like it very much when its dry and it has a really god grip in my terrain which is quite filled with rots, rocks, ledges and steps. But when it gets wet and rainy the little knobbs easily fills up with mud, dirt, gunk and the grip is not as good any more. The big volyme works also really well to give you a nice plush ride and it rolls rather nice.

I will keep mine for the dry times of year, but at the moment Im going to buy a Fire 2.4 FR and a Timberwolf 2.5 and test them in the wet to see which will stay as the rear tire over the slippery and snowy season.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have been running a Timberwolf race on the front of my SS, which is actually closer to a 2.7 measurement. Nice tacky rubber and not as heavy as the Timberwolf DH casing version, which I wrestled onto my wife's DH bike. Though when climbing hard, I get some flex and tire rub on the fork occassionally....I've had too many problems with the Weirwolfs here in the rooty,rocky northeast: ripped out 2 sidewalls so I'm not going back to them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle Rider
    Great weather we've been having. Makes me want to take up swimming instead of riding. Have you been up to Blue Mountain recently? I figured the deluge would have put it out of commission for a good long while.

eric.
    Yeah, the weather has been interesting! At least we won't have a drought anytime soon! I was at Blue Mountain last Sunday (Oct. 16), a day or two after the rain stopped, and it wasn't bad at all. The streams are all full again, and there was running water in certain areas, but it really wasn't very muddy. Didn't make it to Blue on Fri., went to Graham Hills, and the conditions were great. Although it looks like a few more inches of rain are coming tonight and tomorrow!