Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best tires for rigid bikes?

890 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Matno 
#1 ·
I know this a tire question, but since most of the full-rigid crowd are on this forum...

What tires give the best cush on a full rigid ride? Tread isn't a huge problem, since I'm not using it for freeriding (in fact, commuting is part of the bike's job description), but I want more cush (from the tires, not the frame or fork).

Recommendations?

Currently using Ritchey Speedmax WCS. Nice and fast, but pretty harsh at 2.0". I'd prefer something bigger - what's the biggest you can go without going crazy heavy?

#5 ·
usr666 said:
Go tubless, it's like having a softtail.
I think my wife would kill me if I got rid of the tub. With three kids who refuse to take showers, we'd be in big trouble!
;^)

Tubeless is a good idea because I run my tire pressure high enough to avoid pinch flats (I got one on a freakin curb the first time I tried running a decently low tire pressure!) Unfortunately, this is a budget bike. I live in the Bronx, and this is the bike I leave locked up outside the store, etc, so I don't put ANYTHING on this frame that isn't cheap enough to replace without a second thought...

#6 ·
Matno said:
I think my wife would kill me if I got rid of the tub. With three kids who refuse to take showers, we'd be in big trouble!
;^)

Tubeless is a good idea because I run my tire pressure high enough to avoid pinch flats (I got one on a freakin curb the first time I tried running a decently low tire pressure!) Unfortunately, this is a budget bike. I live in the Bronx, and this is the bike I leave locked up outside the store, etc, so I don't put ANYTHING on this frame that isn't cheap enough to replace without a second thought...
ah... ya not a good option then, how about a suspension seatpost? or maybe more padding on the buttocks?

#11 ·
DMR For Life said:
depending on your type of riding...if its mostly cleared streets the maxxis hookworm has great pinch falt resistance...i was running mine at 20psi and i hover around 200#, your other option might be a holy roller for a little bit more bite
DMR
I should mention that I'm a little jaded toward slick tires this year due to an incident in July involving semi-slick tires, a race at Schweitzer ski resort in Idaho, and a broken shoulder). Thus, I'd like something with a LITTLE traction at least. However, since a lot of my riding on this particular bike is paved (Bronx pavement, which would be considered a rock garden in many places, but paved nonetheless...), I'd like lower rolling resistance. I'm willing to accept a little bit slower tires though, in exchange for cornering ability off-road. I was actually impressed with the smooth, fast rolling on pavement of some Bontrager Jones tires I rode a couple of times this summer. They weren't big enough, but surprisingly smooth for such widely spaced knobs.

On the bright side (and in other news), I just picked up a Bontrager Race front wheel in great condition for $2 on eBay. Can't beat that! (Except that now I REALLY have to replace the clunker 36 spoke wheel I have on the rear).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.