mtbr member

the best SS movie ever

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286244/

back in the day, SS bikes were ridden in the Tour. This is the best movie ever when it comes to the world of SS, cycling, and warm leather. Check local listings for this indie film.

http://www.sonyclassics.com/triplets/
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 02-06-2007 at 06:16 PM.

gentle like

i gotta disagree ...

... i mean, i love cycling, art films, etc - but i really missed the boat on the triplets.

my wife was suuuper excited to see it, so a bunch of us went, and we all said "ugh."

i mean, i'm thrilled for others if they enjoyed it. but it really did very little for me except gradually increase my wish for it to be over. a couple funny scenes, and some neat angles and perspective shots, but there was too much repetition (in terms of imagry and gags) and i felt many of the scenes dragged out longer than was effective. and the ending sequence - not to spoil it, or anything - kind of degraded into pretty standard run-of-the-mill fare that i didn't think matched up with the rest of the 'story.'

of course, every other review i've heard/read - including those on rotten tomatoes last i checked - raved. so maybe it's just me.

hey, go and see it. and see what you think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Ahh the memories

I saw this movie while in Paris, France over Christmas last year. It was a tiny little hole in the wall cinema in a Quarter that I don't remember. I didn't know a lick of French, except a few common phrases. I and the other 2 who went absolutely loved it. They weren't even cyclist and found it completely intriguing. Possibly it was more of the environment that I saw it in that made it special, but sometimes thats more important than content.

There was so much more going on in that film than just the bike aspects. It was a socio-political commentary, and also laced with true life realizations.

I would love to see it again, but it just wouldn't be the same.

Clay

Vegan Athlete

Ot

mmmmmmmmm, scrapple.
    No one out here on the left coast knows what the stuff is. Crumbly breakfast meat! Covered in pancake syrup! I have fond, if not frightened memories of the stuff. I'm vegetarian now, not sure if I blame scrapple or not...
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

Portable curmudgeon

Another contender for best SS film

Its got a TdF dream sequence, short track XC around a film studio, a roof-to-flat drop, a stupendous endo, and the late, great Phil Hartman. I'm speaking of course about Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

I do want to see that French one, though. There's an indie-heavy rental place here in Tucson and maybe they'll have it. Thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

O' contraire..............

Quote Originally Posted by voodoovegan
    mmmmmmmmm, scrapple.
    No one out here on the left coast knows what the stuff is. Crumbly breakfast meat! Covered in pancake syrup! I have fond, if not frightened memories of the stuff. I'm vegetarian now, not sure if I blame scrapple or not...

'Been mackin' that stuff for 25 years in Cali!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

More SS-movies!

Another great singlespeed movie is Quicksilver from 1986 starring Kevin Bacon and Laurence Fishburne. Check it out at www.imdb.com/title/tt0091814/
    Check out the trailer! Mr Bacons rearhub is sometimes fixed and then suddenly it has a freewheel. I don't know where he got that wireless hub-locking gizmo from in 1986 but it's cool as hell.

And the mother of all SS-movies (and mtb-movies as well) is without a doubt the swedish semi-animated movie "Dunderklumpen". All questions about where northshore-riding and singlespeeding originated from is answered by the badguy "One-Eye" who is ripping through Swedish dense mossy forests on his steel singlespeed.
    This movie was made in 1974!!!!!
    It's available on tape here: www.smultronstallet.com

IMBA Guy
    Jan 2004

Smile

I really enjoyed Tripletts, even though it did drag a bit at the end. The story was a bit silly, but I think it's just a vehicle for the imagery and the story it told. I went with 2 other bike junkies, and we dug on the bike parts, but the artistry is what really blew us away. The rottentomatoes.com reviews can certainly create expectations for the viewer that probably won't be met, but I think it's a good movie nonetheless.

Probably drunk right now

You're all dead @$%@#$ wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin

back in the day, SS bikes were ridden in the Tour. This is the best movie ever when it comes to the world of SS, cycling, and warm leather. Check local listings for this indie film.

Artsy fartsy pap... well except for the Kevin Bacon movie. That's just pap.

The best SS movie, hands down is Better Off Dead. How can you ponder any other movie when you consider what Better Off Dead brings to the SS table:

- Classic French beauty.
    - Bike messenger subtleties.
    - Wonderfully crafted analogies toward people in the bike industry being broke.
    - The eternal classic of a love story
    - The humor of contemplating suicide

and of course...

- Making fun of Asians through stupid stereotypes and name calling....

When you consider all this, do you really have any other choice for a SS classic? If only Happy Gilmore featured bikes....

Ken

34N 118W

wasn't bad

turned out to be a good date flick for me and a nice change of pace from all of the studio films out now.

the cycling theme was obviously an interest, the animation was great - loved the dog, every little whine and itch was perfect.

Was "Belleville" the US of A? What the heck was with the porky Lady Liberty and all the fatsos? "I heart Big" t-shirts? A little jab from le Francais perhaps?

HW

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin

mtbr member
    LOL, I saw this at local bar called Dos Gringo Drive-In in Old Town Scottsdale. It's the Sister bar to Don Gringos Trail Park, and prides itself on cheap eats and cheap, Mexican beer. On the roof, they have a makeshift drive-in, with Vintage car backseats, and the speakers you hang from your window. Every weekend night, they play some movie (usually a Brat Pack movie). One time I went, they played Better Off Dead.

However, I too have to vote for QuickSilver as the best SS movie every. Come on, Kevin Bacon, Larry Fishburn and Jamie Gertz (whom I was in love with after Lost Boys and Less Than Zero)? How can you go wrong.

ali'i hua
    did i hear something that it got nominated for an oscar? its up against finding nemo and some other huge kid-driven animated thing.

a nomination is worth something, right? (ha! and the oscars arent political, are they?)

(note to self- need to see this bikey flick)

DAS
    mtbr member

maybe on DVD

I just watched the trailer. I will probably see it on DVD. Not sure its worth seeing in the theater, for me anyway.

I'm very down on the French right now. I recently had an extremely expensive dinner at a French restaurant for a big occasion and it was HORRIBLE. Not sure if it was the restaurant or if its just that I don't like French restaurants. The last French restaurant I went to was almost as bad. I guess I should just smarten up and stick with Italian, Mexican, and Indian. My favorites.

Bryn Mawr Borracho
    Jan 2004

Get Rad!

I can't believe nobody has nominated "RAD," starring Bart Connor (!!!) for crap's sake. Cru Jones, the 360 track, BMX Action! In a league of its own. Don't even get me started on "BMX Bandits" w/Nicole Kidman....
    carsrcoffins.com

try driving your car less

rad

Quote Originally Posted by Hurl
    I can't believe nobody has nominated "RAD," starring Bart Connor (!!!) for crap's sake. Cru Jones, the 360 track, BMX Action! In a league of its own. Don't even get me started on "BMX Bandits" w/Nicole Kidman....
    You cannot neglect the veritable Breaking Away. that has some SSing in it. what about 'Breakin' 2 - Electric Bugaloo'? the part where he breakdances on the wall and cieling.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member

Electric Bugaloo

Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    You cannot neglect the veritable Breaking Away. that has some SSing in it. what about 'Breakin' 2 - Electric Bugaloo'? the part where he breakdances on the wall and cieling.
    From IMDB.com:

Plot Outline: A developer tries to bulldoze a community recreation center. The local breakdancers try to stop it.

HAHAHAH! http://www.lucindadickey.com/
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 02-06-2007 at 06:15 PM.

IMBA Guy
    Jan 2004

Smile

Breaking Away has to be the best SS movie ever. That movie is great, it was nominated for 5 Oscars and even won Best Screenplay. Their little 500 bikes had the cool fixed/freewheel switch too.

Maybe they were sporting a remote controlled Suntour FixFree freewheel.

Here's a review from 63xc.com, it looks cool.