Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sock Monkey

best platforms for singlespeeding?

I like to keep it simple on my ss...so I am thinking of going platform..what are a good quality platform pedal that works well for single speeding in casual footwear?
    Last edited by Sock Monkey; 02-23-2013 at 09:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What's your budget?

There was a thread here not too long ago asking the same thing. I use Straitline Defacto platforms. There are Wellgos and the Forte brand from performance offer good value for minimal investment.

Just FYI, "clipless" pedals are the kind you clip into. "Clip" refers to toe clips. What you're referring to is platforms.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Southern Afghanistan

Supervisor

Fred and Barney know how to kill HOOHAs

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Forte Converts are my new favorite, DMR V12s work well too, but are now too thick for me after the Converts.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    Thank you captain obvious!
    No, that is far from obvious for a newbie. Most new riders have no idea what toe clips and straps are.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Hhhnnnngggg!!!
    Mar 2012
    Can't go wrong with Time ATAC pedals. I use the ATAC Z pedals. A little heavy, but they are durable and have a nice platform.

mtbr member
    My LBS just got a set of Saints in a couple weeks ago. They look pretty mean.

best platforms for singlespeeding?-2013_saint_pedals.jpg
    Registered pedalphile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I like those but wouldnt they feel weird when not clipped?
    You cant even feel the clips not being clipped in......they also have the mallet 2s with out the clips.
    Southern Afghanistan

Supervisor

Fred and Barney know how to kill HOOHAs

Thank you captain obvious!
    Good job on editing your original post. Now you don't look like a total noob.
    Last edited by stremf; 02-23-2013 at 02:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I ride the Lo Pro Mags. Lots of these new plats look cool and very thin, but the Lo Pros rock 13 pins on each face. Mucho stick.

Scroll down to read about these pedals here from 2004.

leelikesbikes.com - Nice pedals: Specialized Lo Pro Mag

Hey thanks!
    Thanks for the neg rep.

mtbr member
    Cant do clips (rebuilt, poorly working ankle) so platforms it is. Favorites are Blackspire sub4 platforms and Answer Rove platforms.
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I second the Straitline DeFactos. All grip, no slip. On my ss, I have a set of TruVativ Holzfellers that grip well and were also more budget-friendly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have Speedplay Drilliums and highly recommend them. They stick like glue with my 5.10's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Favorite Bike View Post
    Cant do clips (rebuilt, poorly working ankle) so platforms it is. Favorites are Blackspire sub4 platforms and Answer Rove platforms.
    Not sure what your ankle situation is, but I had my left foot severed a couple years ago. Still got the foot, but my ankle is shot, arthritis, no ROM. I was riding on egg beaters and had just barely not enough ROM to get unclipped. So I switched back to shimano being that they have adjustable float, and I just dial in my left (bad) side to where I can get out with what ROM I do have, and it seems to work great. Just thought I'd share.
    Registered pedalphile.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I love my Forte Convert Platforms. I've had two sets on on my XC and one on my SS. Pick them up online or at Performance Bike. Not a bad price, and last time I was in there they had them on sale.
    They had a blue gray color and just started carrying them in black. Both look and ride great. Plus they grip like a beast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I use black label pedals and I really dig em. they have both plastic and heavy, metal versions. I have the metal ones and I honestly like the weight. They are grippy as hell with a pair of walking shoes on, a feature achieved by little bolts that are threaded onto the pedal and can be removed with an allen wrench.

If you haven't stripped out the threads of the bolts you can even replace them which is nice. $30 at my lbs and I am quite happy with them.

Here they are on eBay:
    Black Label Alloy Pedals w/ Bolt Head Pins Black 9/16" on eBay!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Look at VP Vice or Answer Rove.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by thecaptainswhiskers View Post
    I love my Forte Convert Platforms. I've had two sets on on my XC and one on my SS. Pick them up online or at Performance Bike. Not a bad price, and last time I was in there they had them on sale.
    They had a blue gray color and just started carrying them in black. Both look and ride great. Plus they grip like a beast.
    The black ones don't look as nice to me ... but Nashbar has a version for only $39.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Forte Converts are my new favorite, DMR V12s work well too, but are now too thick for me after the Converts.
    I've been riding with these ones on my geared bike for a few months and I liked them so much that I got another set for my SS build. They're cheap and keep my feet in place. However I do sometimes get some nice gashes in my legs from falls.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by goldencalf View Post
    Not sure what your ankle situation is, but I had my left foot severed a couple years ago. Still got the foot, but my ankle is shot, arthritis, no ROM. I was riding on egg beaters and had just barely not enough ROM to get unclipped. So I switched back to shimano being that they have adjustable float, and I just dial in my left (bad) side to where I can get out with what ROM I do have, and it seems to work great. Just thought I'd share.
    F the pedal, tell us more about the severed foot!

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Favorite Bike View Post
    Ankle problems here too - riding clipped means I will end up with what feels like a hyper-extended ankle that I can't walk on for days. It doesn't happen on every ride but eventually it does happen.

I run Wellgo MG-1s on 3 of four bikes and I splurged on a pair of Crampon Ultimates for my Canfield.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    I've been riding with these ones on my geared bike for a few months and I liked them so much that I got another set for my SS build. They're cheap and keep my feet in place. However I do sometimes get some nice gashes in my legs from falls.
    I've never slipped off and gotten a gash, I usually get the gashes moving the bike around or trying to tighten something like an idiot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    As mentioned, the DMR's are a little thick compared to others, but they've worked well for me. No complains!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast